Thread: 2011 Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament Information

Default 2011 Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament Information

2011 Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament
    for Casting For Recovery
    hosted by Captain Kayak

The Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament registration site is up and running!

Come and join us May 12th-15th at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York for all the usual fun, food, fishing, festivities, and incredible camaraderie. Jamaica Bay in May is an awesome fishery to catch big Stripers, Weakfish and Blues and that’s what this tournament is all about. Last year we had over 335 participants and this year we are hoping for an even bigger group.

With
    Captain Kayakand other local dealers as the event hosts, we have an exciting tournament planned. This year the tournament starts on Friday and ends on Sundayfishing during daylight hours. If you cannot make it for the whole weekend, come for a day or as much time as you can.

If you have attended the tournament in the past welcome back, if this is your first Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing tournament we welcome you to participate in one of the biggest and best kayaking events in the northeast.

We look forward to seeing our friends and supporters on the water the weekend of May 12th! For more Info and to Sign Up Now go to to
    www.jbaykayaktournament.com

This is the event that supports
    Casting for Recovery in its mission to support and
    educate breast cancer survivors through a therapeutic fly fishing retreat experience.

www.castingforrecovery.org

CFR has changed the lives of over 4,500 survivors, one woman at a time.
    This event assists in us touching the lives of many more women.

Register now for early bird pricing at www.jbaykayaktournament.com on the SIGN UP page.

And stay posted for more exciting details to come!

I see you placed 3rd in the womens' division last year, Judy, WTG!

Thats got to be awesome.

That was a great time! No Women's division this year. Will have to fish with all the guys, which is fine.
    Hope some of you make it to the tourney. A lot and fun, great area to fish and CFR the Charity it help supports is fantastic.

Why no Women's division this year shorelady?

Not sure, I will be talking to Dee from CFR at the end of the week and I will find out. However, they have added an electric division.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    That was a great time! No Women's division this year. Will have to fish with all the guys, which is fine.
    I remember you got a fat bass 30+ lbs in the back of the river last fall, Judy. On a day when most other yakkers wouldn't be out. But you were out there throwing spoons. It's sad to hear that there will be no women's division, but I know you'll hold your own with the guys. Good luck, we'll be rooting for ya!

And Casting for Recovery is a great organization, folks. Anyone who has any questions should click the link supplied in the first post.

Default 30lb bass in the river in the fall?

Wow great catch shorelady. Sounds like you don't need any special division, you can match anybody with catches like that. Catch em up and good luck.

That fish was a great way to end the season, especially with this long winter we have had.
    I really hope some of you can attend the tourney.
    Anyway, I got this response from Dee.

Since there is no physical difference between men and women in the
    ability to catch a fish, the tournament committee has combined the
    women's with the other divisions. Women are encouraged to register and
    compete in this tournament for Casting For Recovery and have an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    Since there is no physical difference between men and women in the
    ability to catch a fish, the tournament committee has combined the
    women's with the other divisions.
    I honestly would have thought that women are at a slight disadvantage because guys may have stronger legs to pedal if using the hobies. Not that I want to sound sexist or anything. Shows how far women have come, you can't argue with the equality thing I guess. More power to you shorelady and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I honestly would have thought that women are at a slight disadvantage because guys may have stronger legs to pedal if using the hobies. Not that I want to sound sexist or anything. Shows how far women have come, you can't argue with the equality thing I guess. More power to you shorelady and good luck.
    Yes, we have equality in all areas now. Personally, I think women should have separate divisions as it might get more women to participate in some things. And I was wondering why you can only fish this tournament in the daylight hours. Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?

Hey folks, there is a thread we started pertaining to this tourney. Those who are interested in helping Casting for Recovery can make a contribution to help them defray the costs of the event. Any amount you can give, no matter how small, would be appreciated. Feel free to check out this thread, or PM Shorelady (Judy) with further questions. Thanks!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...d-support-info

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?
    Baitstealer, I would agree with that. I'm thinking there is no night fishing because of the liability issue to tourney organizers. Maybe Shorelady can shed some light on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Baitstealer, I would agree with that. I'm thinking there is no night fishing because of the liability issue to tourney organizers. Maybe Shorelady can shed some light on that.
    Sorry for the delay with the post. In regards to the night fishing, it cannot be part of the tourney. It has to do with the park system and probably the insurance. Will double check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Yes, we have equality in all areas now. Personally, I think women should have separate divisions as it might get more women to participate in some things. And I was wondering why you can only fish this tournament in the daylight hours. Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?
    I think you have made a good point regarding getting more women involved and I will relay that for next year. I am amazed at the lack of women that fish in this area as opposed to Fl. where I lived for 15 years. Just before I left the area, I started to fish on an all women's offshore team. And "Grandma" Anita was by far the most respected Captain in the area. Can't figure it? Any thoughts?

It seems to be the same thing for surf fishing, shorelady. I have fished for over 50 years and only in the last 10 or so have seen an increase in the number of women who have an interest in fishing on the beach. On the boat is is different. And some boats today have all the comforts of home. But if you wanted to compare the numbers, even on the sand, I suspect they would be quite small. I know of a few fly fisherrwomen who fish Island beach. I think there is another one, a woman in her 60's, who fishes Sandy Hook and some of the Monmouth county beaches. Sadly, right now my memory cannot recall that many others. I suspect there are similar percentages for the kayak folks out there as well. Although I also think you kayak people might have more of an advantage recruiting women. I have frequently seen women kayaking solo in Barnegat and Great Bay. Now mind you, these were not fisherwomen, just kayakers, but the interest does seem to be there for women to go out and enjoy a day on the water. Good luck with the tourney folks.

I'm glad you brought up the point about boat fishing. It makes sense.
    And back to the tourney. The last I heard at the beginning of last week was 188 registered!

Tourney Update:

I heard over 300 people registered and things went pretty well. Shorelady may have the final exact #.

A few friends of mine, Eli and Mark, were in 2nd and 3rd place for a while with 34" fish. They eventually got knocked out of the box by bigger fish. Hey, that's fishing.

These 2 guys fish hard and know JBay like the back of their hands. They put in a lot of time scouting before the event and create all their success through hard work and perseverance. Even though they didn't place, if ya ever have a chance to fish with 1 or both of these fishnuts, take it. Also 2 of the funniest guys you'll ever meet.

The consensus was that the SE weather pattern killed the bite.
    I'll buy that.

However, Jbay is filled with baitfish of all kinds...
    I think it's significant that notwithstanding the bad weather, no bass were caught over 30#, not many bluefish were caught (in the past years these monster blues were all over that bay), and not one weakfish was caught. Even though weakfish are basically extinct, every year someone nails a nice one in that tournament. This year, not a one, the last I heard.

So, is this just an indication of poor fishing conditions for the tourney?
    Or, an indicator that there are actually less fish around?

I don't have enough proof to substantiate either hypothesis, as I haven't fished Jbay to see for myself, yet.....but the tourney results do raise some interesting questions.....

If Jbay, being the marine-life estuary it has been, rich with all types of forage fish, abundant beyond your wildest dreams....is not holding the fish this year that it has held in the past....why not... and where are they???

Again, not looking to down on the tourney, congrats to all, and the effort they put into this.

And well-deserved congrats to Judy (Shorelady) and Dee, who give their all each year for Casting for Recovery.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...d-support-info

Default Eli's report

Here's another perspective from Eli, who was 2nd in the tourney for a while. I thought he summed things up pretty well.

"Fishing was not that great...
    Here is my full detailed report.

Launched Friday morning pre tourney in the back. Snagged some bunker and started the troll. Went all the way to the pier cut up to the channel with just one Bluefish biteoff.

Went back to where the bunker were thick and snagged a few and again started the troll, this time very close to the shore. I had three bass explode on top of my bunker but just would not commit. If I slowed down, they would ignore it, 1.5kts they would keep missing it....incredible!

Thought long and hard after the captains meeting and decided lets fish there again...

Afternoon bite was on for a brief period. PAPD gave me the big boot. Landed five bass up to 36" and my buddy Mark had one 37.5" that held us both in second and third place only with a 40" fish in first.

Feeling good after day 1 and that area figured we should do it again day two.

Much slower...I was the first boat on the spot and had a live bunker inhaled within five minutes of arriving. Before any other yak got to the spot. Other guys showed up and nothing doing I trolled my livie for about an hour all the way to the end of the runway with just nothing. FINALLY as I wrapped around a security bouy I hit a giant, the circle hook method didn't work on this fish unfortunately and he was gone. I'll be thinking about that horse for sure....

I hit one more 33" bass and that was it.

A pair of 38" fish were caught in the area I caught them Friday afternoon, and a 42.5" fish won it caught on a Tube N Worm.

The action aside from that quick window Friday afternoon stunk. Everyone was pretty excited when I told them I had five fish because most had one or none. "