Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fishing for spawning bass

Default Re: fishing for spawning bass

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    I don't see what differs in killing them in the fall before they make it through the winter for the spring spawn, or in the spring right before they spawn. You are still looking at one dead bass. Whats the difference?
    What's the difference? Are you mental? There is a difference of months! The striper in the fall has to face a gauntlet of challenges to make it to the spring. The striper in the spring has already made it back to her home waters. All she has to do is wait for the water temps to get right and she can spawn. I can't believe someone would be so pig-headed they could not even see that! Put bababooey in charge of the fish regulations and there will be no problem because there will be no fish left.

Default Re: fishing for spawning bass

Cowherder some folks can't see the difference. Don't be so hard on the guy. I agree if you closed the spawning areas to May 15 or the end of May we would have a world class east coast bass fishery. My .02

Capt Al Ristori posted this today. I agree 100% -

"As expected, striped bass fishing broke open last weekend in Raritan Bay with clamming, trolling and live bunker fishing all producing lots of legal bass. Yet, as good as that fishing has been, it’s important to keep in mind that most of those large bass are females feeding up before spawning in the Hudson River next month.

It’s almost certain that any striper of 20 pounds or more is a female, and the future of local stocks is dependent on maintaining a strong spawning stock in the Hudson. If you’re going to bring home some fish, it’s better to keep the smaller males rather than round-bellied females so close to spawning."

I am rarely up in the raritan bay fishing. This is one thing that the regulators should look at. If they can postpone fishing in the Chesapeake until most of the spawn is over they should make it C&R in the Raritan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    I am rarely up in the raritan bay fishing. This is one thing that the regulators should look at. If they can postpone fishing in the Chesapeake until most of the spawn is over they should make it C&R in the Raritan as well.
    That makes to much sense.
    Its a no brainer and should just be part of the normal regulations.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

In addition, I think a particular warm water outlet should be closed/off limits until Apr 1 minimum. Too many stack up there.

Absolutely agree with that surfrob. Technically it is closed in the back. Guys fish it anyway. They should write citations. No one cares like that place and they treat it like their own personal toilet.

Tackle shops don't help with "first fish" prizes that open up March 1. One shop in particular accepted a couple of fish from up there, but guys have all the shops on the speed dials so when they pick up a decent one out of the trench they can get $50 or $100 or whatever. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

I hate contests and tourneys, I hate 'em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12