Thread: Fishing in Belize? Advice?

Default Fishing in Belize? Advice?

Hey, I'm headed down to Belize Saturday with the in-laws. They will be snorkeling, but I want to get some fishing in.

Anybody have any experience fishing down there?

Thanks,
    Jon

Default Fishing in Belize

What part of Belize will you folks be in John?

One of the most popular locations is Ambergris Caye, which is to the south. There are a lot of reasonably priced trips out of there. The deals there are some of the best in Central America. Check out
    http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishing.html

Whatever you do, don't go to Belize City, or if you do, be very careful and only travel in the day in open and busy spots.

Drink only bottled water unless you want to spend most of the trip in the John. "John in the John" that's a good one, eh?

I don't know if you dive, but it is on the list as one of the top 10 diving destinations in the world. The blue hole is famous. Spectacular scenery and fish diversity.

I haven't been there in a while. From what I remember, some of the better fishing is in the South. As I said, Ambergris Caye is a good safe bet.

If you get a chance, try to visit Placencia, which is further S of that, and has some beautiful beaches where you can fish from the surf. As always, be safe and don't venture too far into any sketchy areas at night.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    If you get any fish, post and show us. I would love to see some tropical scenery right about now. Stuck in an office and the rain is cold and dreary.

Hey thanks Charlie!

We'll be staying at the Laru Beya resort in Placenia. They have kayaks gratis, so I thought I'd see if I could spin up some bonefish or permit. (Haven't been fly fishing since I was a kid.)

Trying to decide if I should risk bringing one of my rods with me, or rent or buy one when I get there (if available.)

From what I can find out online, small jigs w/grubtails, doa shrimp, and live crabs on a slider rig are the way to go, spin-wise.

Oh boy! leave tomorrow around 4 am.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    Oh boy! leave tomorrow around 4 am.
    I'm officially jealous, dude.
    You better take some pictures. I wanna see em too. I heard the water is the most beautiful shade of blue-green down there.
    Really, I hope you and your family have a blast.

will do!

picked up some shrimp jigs and leadheads and grubtails today. packing my collapsible rod (had to put a new tip on 'er) and a daiwa spin reel.

this was all planned 2 yrs ago, when i still had a great (well-paying) job - and a savings account.

so my father in law is picking up the slack! dang nice of him. (the in-laws are going, too.)

tackle is all packed, now i gotta pack my carry on, which is all i'm taking. i figure i better stow the tackle in the wife's checked baggage.

wish me luck!

Have a great trip. Will you be doing any scuba diving when yer there, they say the reefs are awesome.

nope, never done that. will be snorkeling, tho.

gg catch my flight...

see ya!
    jc

I was there about 15 years ago. If you can try to give them little trinkets or toiletries, lighters, etc that you don't need as you are leaving. Give away some of those DOA jigs and small fishing items too if you can. They are very poor and really appreciate it. Enjoy the trip.

I remember you first talking about this trip John. How was it, the food and the fishing?