Porgy, sorry I didn't answer your question sooner.
In the time that has passed, the bay got back to normal, some bigger fish came in, got caught for a week or so.

The mullet emptied out with the last storm and these moon tides. There are some left, but many bay spots are dead water at this time, still tinged with brown and possibly some sewage runoff. Not a great early fall for the Raritan Bay, considering the JBay action was consistent and pretty reliable with bass, bluefish, kingfish, weakfish, big porgies and some other fish, until recently with this SE low pressure system.

Your best bet is the ocean, inlets, or rivers now, the key factor being large schools of bait.

Kayak report Thu - fished a back bay area this morning where some mullet had been gathering. At the time they were most active I couldn't get out there. By the time I did, the action disappeared. I tried to make it happen by trolling rubber and medium diving swimmers. Nothing.

Finally in desperation I went with the old reliable, T&W. I hadn't intended on using it and didn't have any sandworms, so I didn't have the highest confidence. Went with gulp bloodworms, which should have pulled at least a few small bass. The only action I managed was from tiny bluefish, too small to even hook themselves on the circle hook. Fished into the heavy rains and called it a day when it was obvious it was a losing battle.

Can't wait to get some work finished in NJ and get back to fishing the Sound. Fishing today made me realize how some yakkers in the sound take their action for granted. That place is a virtual fishbowl of activity, while many NJ areas are hit and miss. Hey, that's fishin.