Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak trips and fishing reports 2011

Default Kayak trips and fishing reports 2011

Fished from land last night as I scouted a put-in for the first kayak trip of 2011. The report:
    "Fished last night for 1/2 hr with artificials as I scouted a put-in for the first pending kayak trip of the year. Threw light bucktails, jigs, and small profile plugs on the incoming. Not a touch. No visible bait around where I was, although the area is rich in all types of marine life. The water was cold, the wind started building, but it felt good to be out there and try new water.

My analysis:
    1. I think the water is a bit cold, unless you're fishing the *****, which I hope to do this week or next.
    2. I think for the ** area, you could compare it to the **. It's a thin pinch point, so if shore fishing you have to fish it when the current is minimizing. Ideally, top of the tide into outgoing, or bottom into incoming.

Cold water reminders:

Planning and re-assessment - this is from the last trip I was going to make in 2010. I bailed on the last minute because of the winds. Don't be ashamed to back out of a trip if you suddenly re-assess the weather and you're not comfortable with the conditions. Going out in hazardous conditions isn't macho, it's foolish and short-sighted. If you think there is a chance you will need to be rescued or towed in, then by all means you should be re-assessing your trip plans when conditions change.......

Since not many people are fishing the northeast salt waters in kayaks now, I thought I would share some of the planning and research with you people....

1. Develop the intel -
    I had been hearing about a great bite of bass and other species at a backwater place outside of NJ. I know people who live in the area. Could I have called them right away, and said - "Where are the fish?" Absolutely.

To me, half the fun of a new place is learning it. I don't always catch fish when I hit a place for the first time, even in a yak. I do appreciate the learning, though. I was talking to a friend on the phone today. We were talking about scouting. I mentioned I love to be out there seeing how things are, through my own eyes. He does the same thing, and was out scouting earlier in the week for some sweetwater winter fishing locations.

2. Do your homework-
    I literally spent many hours on the internet researching these waters I wanted to fish. Knowing nothing about them but the name of a river system, I obsessively looked at Google maps, and some other resources. I saved copies of the areas I thought might be productive. I researched names of electricity producers and others in the area that might be adding warm water to the area and drawing fish to the region.

Then, once I had a sense I knew what I was talking about, I set out a plan to make the trip. I sent a friend maps of places I intended to fish and asked him what his thoughts were. Since I had already done some homework, I didn't feel like such a leech when I was talking to him.

His knowledge helped me immensely, and I'm sure I'll be into fish because of it. I owe him a debt of gratitude. My point is I didn't go to him looking to be spoon fed. I did my research, and learned as much as I could to try to make myself a valid part of our conversation.

3. Look for the window-
    I looked at short-range and long-range temp and wind predictions. The next few weeks should be getting progressively colder. I was waiting for some 40 degree days. When I realized that's not likely I decided to shoot for some 35 degree days. I knew I would be ok with the layers and protective clothing I wear, but the 20+ mph sustained winds concerned me. I didn't want to put myself in a position where I would be in danger or put someone else in danger by having to rescue me.

4. Plan the trip -
    I did some careful planning. I knew where I was going to launch, where I wanted to fish, and where in general I would go to seek shelter in case I got in trouble out there.

I had an alternate launch site mapped out in case the water was running too strong that day, (Hint - islands and points usually have eddies and places to hide from the wind and rough water.)

5. Don't be too proud to re-assess -
    With visions of catching double digits of striped bass and other fish on a cold winter day, I had to ask myself if my reason was being clouded over by my need to catch, the addiction.

Last night I was set on going. I reasoned that today and tomorrow were going to be the warmest 2 days of a long cold spell we're in for. Tomorrow is actually better,as the winds will be half as strong as today. Today was the only day that fit the time requirements for that trip.

When I got up, I checked the hourly weather forecast once more. No change in the predictions, bummer. So I reluctantly called off the trip, and here I sit writing about the trip that never materialized.

But in my mind I was out there. I visualized me driving there, launching, what gear I would use, and thought about catching and releasing double digit numbers of bass. I was stoked!

My point here, no fish is worth your life. We lose too many of our fishing brothers each year because they decide to push the envelope. There are those who judge the "stupidity" of the guys who lose their lives out there. I posted up this post to maybe give people a window into seeing why we do what we do.

And also to tell you guys and gals that safety should always be your #1 priority. If you value your friends and family at home, please think of that before making choices that can remove you from their lives permanently.

Have a blast, but Be safe!

Kayak cold water and survival and general tips:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ermia-warnings

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...to-do-about-it

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-safety-tips

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...er-a-SOT-kayak

I want to see some fish ds, don't even care if its pics of runts. Get out there, break a LEG. But don't kill yourself.

Great start of the season post with the links. We all need gentle safety reminders as we start the season. We don't need to be reminded when reading about tragedies. Thanks!

Shorelady, thanks for the comments. Most guys with yaks know safety can be a matter of life and death. Occasionally I'll see a back and forth between guys on a forum where one guy is trying to outdo the other, same thing happens with fishermen.

But to me, if you have anyone who depends on you or who will be affected if you're gone, you should focus on the safety issues of each trip. I saw some guys out last week catchin fish. One had rain pants on, the other had heavy neoprene waders with attached boots. That worries me when the water is this cold. It's not my place to nag someone as to what they should be wearing out there if they are experienced. Some guys really don't take well to that, and out there I ain't looking for arguments, I'm looking to use my time fishing.

However, I have gently admonished guys on jetties wearing sneakers. I have cautioned newer guys about safety. I feel if something tragic happened and I didn't say anything, I would feel bad, like I could or should have done something more.

There's nothing macho about putting yourself at risk in cold water or bad weather. Again, if you are experienced, you know your boundaries, and may take more risks than other people. I'm perfectly ok with that, as I do that as well at times. I'm still feeling bad over that kid who disappeared last year while kayaking the Shrewsbury. They still haven't found his body. Every time I look at the water during bad conditions I think of him, and the great loss his family now has.

So again, people...even if you planned and planned the trip, and have your heart set on going out...it doesn't make you less of a man (or woman) if you change your plan because of safety concerns.

I hope this doesn't embarass you by my mentioning it. Shorelady, but I remember the day when you and your friend Dee had to abandon a surf launch. I won't provide the details unless you want to share, but suffice it to say IMO you made the right decision to cancel the trip. You are one tough woman, but seem to temper that toughness with wisdom.

There are some guys I know of who might not have made the same choices you did, and would have continued with the trip. And those same guys could have been in trouble if they did. Sometimes ya gotta know when to call it a day, get your mindset over the disappointment, and re-group for another day. I admire people who think this way more than I admire a kayakker who always pushes the limits, even though that's his right.

I don't want to hijack this but I'm not sure if that guy died in the river or just took off to South America. His body should have been found by now. Yeah I feel sorry for the family too, but even they probably would like to find his body for some closure. just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    so if shore fishing you have to fish it when the current is minimizing. Ideally, top of the tide into outgoing, or bottom into incoming.

Yep, I definitely have to get a better handle on the tides for that area....

I fished for an hour last night. I had the kayak ready for the maiden 2011 voyage but when I got there it seems I miscalculated the tide. I have to figure out the tide for that area better. Only certain times make sense for a kayak launch.

So I fished anyway from land. Nothing for me on the first hour of the ebb on small bucktails and rubber. The water was probably low to mid-40's. Another 5 degrees and it should be poppin.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not taking the yak out for a pedal, but the plan I set out on just wasn't workable once I saw the water. It was really mild out there, and not bad fishin at all. The water was relatively clear for the back bay, and calm. But the tide wasn't right to allow me to go where I wanted. Next time.

[I hope this doesn't embarass you by my mentioning it. Shorelady, but I remember the day when you and your friend Dee had to abandon a surf launch. I won't provide the details unless you want to share, but suffice it to say IMO you made the right decision to cancel the trip. You are one tough woman, but seem to temper that toughness with wisdom.

That day it was really deceiving with the shore breaks. There were several reasons for not going out. Concern with landing and taking a more serious look at my hand and deciding, yup, I need stitches. However, a nice afternoon at the diner made up for the day.
    Dark, my limits are not as great as many of the guys I go out with. If I make a committment to fish for the day and get uncomfortable out there, I come in. I will wait on the land until my partners are done, radio in hand. Afterall, I agreed to fish for the day. I count my blessings to still have the ability to surf launch!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    If I make a committment to fish for the day and get uncomfortable out there, I come in.
    That's the mark of an intelligent outdoors person. It seems like you know what you are comfortable with. With guys it is often an ego thing, and some of us end up in the cemetary because of it.

Ego and kayak fishing in cold water are not the best combinations. I think an outlook like the one you have is a good one shorelady.

I have concluded that kayak fishing is the ultimate obsession. I Love it! I guess the bottom line is, it is something I want to do for many years to come. I work with seniors and have seen the aging process in action and I do realize that this is not something I can do forever. I certainly do not want to cut the time short because I was stupid.

Didn't make it out today after dealing with rack issues for a few hours. However the guys I fish with had a very good day in RB. Phil had one at 26 lbs and 8 others Other guys had keepers and multiply fish. Figured I could at least get a report up here. Going out before the rains tomorrow.

kewl newz the fish are filling the bay up they are gettin ready to make babies, lol

Thanks for the report Shorelady. I heard about that action, nice fat fish! Looks like a new body of bass are moving along the coast and into the bays. Hope you got into some action today.

Well I will be fishing hard up until the full moon, I hope we see some of the bigger ones. Congrats to the guy who got the 26lber, that must have been a beaut! I really need to look at getting a kayak.

Default Sunday...the action continued

There must have been 20 yaks out there today, and the fish were there. Some nice fish caught today. Many of the guys in the double digits. I had eight, no keepers and John, my fishing buddy had 2 keepers. Weather was great. On the water from 8-noon.

John with his 33 inch

Very nice, thanks for the report! We have no active bass that size in the Sound where I fish yet. It's good to see someone is getting on on some nice action. btw, I am assuming that is a pic of your friend John's yak. Nice touch with a mermaid strapped to the front of it!

Yes that is Ariel the Mermaid. She has been on the front of his yak since JBAY tourney last year. The group I stayed with all had various items on the front of our yaks... Ariel is the only one that has survived. Through surf launches and all. Gotta of fun!

That is a nice fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    There must have been 20 yaks out there today, and the fish were there. Some nice fish caught today.
    Judy, this action continues, day 5 today. Congrats to you and John.

The cold dirty water from the storm might affect it a bit, but I'm thinking only slightly. The thing I came ro realize as I was there today is that the action is so great because the fish are drawn there. Where you were has one of the highest food concentrations in the whole bay. But that's right now because other places aren't holding bait. When that dynamic changes and the other early season places begin to hold more bait, this should naturally shift to a broader horizon.

And realistically, how many days can this great streak continue?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast