Thread: Casting for Recovery...a little background, and support info

Default Casting for Recovery...a little background, and support info

One of our members here, Shorelady, is very involved with Casting For Recovery.

From the Jbay tournament thread:
    This is the event that supports Casting for Recovery in its mission to support and
    educate breast cancer survivors through a therapeutic fly fishing retreat experience.

www.castingforrecovery.org

CFR has changed the lives of over 4,500 survivors, one woman at a time.
    This event assists in us touching the lives of many more women.

She asked me to see if anyone would be interested in making contributions to this event or to Casting for Recovery. I checked out the site, and believe it to be a good cause.

Unless you're living in vacuum, almost all of us have had women in our lives who were somehow touched by breast cancer. This is a devastating disease, and can rob women of their health, lives, and also, to some extent, their self-esteem.

So if anyone had any questions, I would encourage you to click on the link and check out their site.

Default How you can help...

For this Jbay tourney, a portion of the proceeds goes to CFR.

However, there are also large expenses involved running an event like this...insurance, medical personnel on call, permits for camping, etc. And...believe it or not, the portable toilets that must be rented to accomodate the extra traffic from the tournament.

One way those interested can help is to send in some $$ to help sponsor a portable toilet. Each one costs CFR $180 for the rental.

That might seem like a lot for any one person to donate. At least I think so. But...those who are interested can donate a small amount, like $10 or $20, and still be helping this great organization, CFR.

Some details from Shorelady:
    Dee has sent an email requesting donations to sponsor port-a-pottys-
    " Last year we had about 8 groups sponsor a port-a-potty. ($180 each) I was hoping that some members of this site would be interested in contributing. (I will send you the solicitation information) I will gladly collect the checks for CFR."

Default How to send money

J-Bay Kayak Tournament - Potty
    The 8th annual Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament will be held on Floyd Bennett Field, in Brooklyn, on May 12 – 15th, 2011. Last year there were 335 participants and we expect even more this year. With each passing year the event gets bigger and better. May is a great time for the J-Bay fishery as big bait move through the area and the even bigger fish follow it. Hopefully some of you will be able to make the tournament and get a chance at the elusive weakfish which are expected this time of year. But enough about the fishing …..
    The reason for this email is to invite donations for 2011. We need to staff the area with 10 -12 Port-A-Johns for the event. Each one costs $180. We were wondering if a group of us from the forum can join together and sponsor a forum potty. If 18 of us join in, that's only $10 per person. The recognition for the donation will be displayed on the potty. In addition there will be a fun contest for the most creatively decorated potty as voted by participants. Winners of this prestigious potty honor will be announced at Sunday’s award ceremony.
    What do you think? Care to help out Casting For Recovery in a small yet important way? Let me know. I think it could be fun and it would really help. If you have suggestions for the decoration, please send them to me too.

All checks are to be made out to Casting For Recovery and sent to me ( Judy aka Shorelady) - please PM me with your commitment and details.

Thanks so much for any help you can give us!
    Judy

Default How to contact Judy, and the StripersandAnglers challenge!

Judy may post her e-mail here in case anyone inside or outside of this site has questions or wants to make a contribution.

All contributions should be sent to her, but made out to CFR. She is a trustworthy person, and I know her to be very honest. Normally I wouldn't say this as endorsing someone has its liabilities, but I can assure you all that I know Judy to be a person of good character and completely responsible.

She says what she means, and does what she says, a rare quality in today's world.

Extra incentive:

I will be sending them a small check because I want to help. Times are tough for all of us, and I know money is very tight. But I will send them a check anyway.
    If the amount of contributions from this site reaches 75% of the cost ($135) of one rental, I'll pay the other 25%.

And again, there is no minimum amount, you can contribute whatever you want, if you can relate to any of what was said here.

Thanks again for reading this, folks, and thanks for whatever help you can give!

Default A litle more about Casting for Recovery

Casting For Recovery Needs Your Support

I hope that you are all aware of Casting For Recovery (CFR) but if you are not let me take a moment to familiarize you with this wonderful group. Started in 1996 CFR has grown to a national organization that provided over 44 - retreats to breast cancer survivors in 30 states last year. These retreats are 2 ½ days and focus on wellness and learning about fishing. During these retreats women are treated to a weekend away and escape from daily routine. These retreats are funded through local events such as the Jamaica Bay Kayak Tournament.

Thank you so very much for posting this. And also for your generous offer. If anyone has questions about the event or the sponsorship, please PM me. Thanks!

Default Casting For Recovery questions

I forgot to add: If you are or if you know of any women that have any had Breast Cancer or are currently facing this disease, and you think they would benefit from a retreat, I will gladly send them the information.

The tourney is over, but Casting for Recovery could still use donations. Feel free to jump to their listed link above and check them out. They do a lot of good for women, and IMO deserve all the publicity we can give them. Great job on the Jbay tourney, ladies and gents, and best wishes for the future!