Thread: hullator challenges

Default hullator challenges

All ideas are welcome. I added a used hullator (older model) to my Nissan xterra today. (very tall vehicle.) It is still extemely challenging to try and lift the revo onto the racks. It lowers to waist height which is still pretty high. Due to the winds today, I didn't try too many times, but....
    So far I have come up with.... get a lighter yak...NO I love my revo,
    Buy a new SUV..... Not right now....
    Get to the gym.
    Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Shorelady, the xterra is high, true, but the hullivator is supposed to do all the work. Do you know if the gas struts on yours are working ok? Any resistance when lifting?
    Based on what you said, it seems even lifting it to 40" is an issue for you. I don't know about your level of conditioning or your body shape, but I'm not the tallest guy in the world either. I never used that hullivator, but have been putting small craft, kayaks, canoes, etc,on pickup trucks and suvs for years now. For me the biggest issue is balance.

Also what year is your revo?
    On some of the newer ones they have side handles to help with lifting and maneuvering. Do you have those handles on yours? If not maybe they would help.

Here are some videos on the hullivator. You may have seen these already, so they may not be telling you anything new. As I said, for me its just a matter of balancing sometimes. Hope these help, good luck.

I realized after posting these that your xterra would be a lot taller, and that could be part of the issue. The xteras are great, I would not get a new vehicle just yet.

Thanks for the info. I had not seen the video. Yes the Xterra is much taller and that is presenting the challenge. The revo (2007) is much heavier than OK prowler, and I would not have a problem hoisting that one on the rack. I can lift the revo, but not high enough to reach the rack without too much strain on the back. The molded handles are not great, but they are OK.
    I appreciate your point regarding the gas struts. It is a real effort to get it up during the initial lift. I should perhaps get them looked at.
    To top it off my helpful neighbor, did not listen when I told him to grasp the handle when lowering it on to the rack on top of the vehicle. So now the latch does not open fulling enough to engage in the locking mechanism on the top of the SUV
    Thank you for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    So now the latch does not open fulling enough to engage in the locking mechanism on the top of the SUV
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    shorelady did the latch get bent or is it a question of not lining up the right way? If it is off by a few degrees, try taking a hollow pipe, or some large vice grips if that's not availlable. Put layers of rag on the area you are working on so as not to damage the tubes. Try bending it slightly so it will line up. I'm not exactly sure of your system so I dont want to give you bad advice. If it is some kind of tab, you run the risk of breaking it depending on the strength of the alloy. At least this is a possibility of fixing it. I don't know if it will work for you. Best wishes.

hi shore lady is the revo the trouble or the rack ? i would like to see it if its ok with you
    i might come up with some thing to make it better for you i am in asbury park

It looks like the latch may be bent. So that is one issue that needs repaired.
    Coming up with an easier way to lift the revo. onto the rack is the second issue.
    Speedy, Your assistance is welcome. I'm in Allenhurst.
    Will Pm phone number.

no problem see if you can fine a parts brake down on line it would help !!