Thread: Pattern fishing for the SPRING surf? (bay and ocean, your thoughts?)

Default Pattern fishing for the SPRING surf? (bay and ocean, your thoughts?)

Dark was talking about pattern fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    So knowing that, and that the last time we had a pending front coming in, some nice fish were caught in front of it.....I was compelled to be out there. The strategy of doing that with the change in barometric pressure, should be part of any fisherman's mind set and help you set patterns in your head when you should be out there.
    Some things I have learned re: a pattern --
    When the water is cold, worms are the #1 bait.
    As the water warms, fish will get active and eat the clams.
    It's usually better in the earliest spring to fish the outgoing, but if there is icy runoff in the rivers, concentrate on the incoming.
    Noreasters are bad for fishing as they muck things up (Waiting for Dark to chime in with wst wind wally)
    The beginning day or half day before a storm can put the fish on the feed bag, but this all depends on water temps.

Is there anything else you guys can add to this?
    When is a good time to switch over to plugging so you will have better success?

When the water is on the cold side you can use small rubber. When the water is around 50 to 55 and baitfish are around Sandeels, spearing, mullet, peanutbunker, adult bunker, than you can plug. The warmer temps will bring the bait around and make the fish more aggressive.

You hit on some good points as far as bait goes I don't fish it hardly ever I would fall asleep and lose my rod, so depending on water temp. I start plugging in the end of April (scouting).

by the 2nd. week of May the blues and bass are usually in my spring spot with the bunker and plugging gets into gear I just don't feel it is worth it any earlier in NY IMO.

I don't even think about the ocean in the spring and I know they have to come through the inlets but this is just a hwy IMO they use to get to the bay to find food and spawn.

The tide thing is pretty much accurate other than certain back bay spots will still produce better on different tidal stages perhaps lower water up a river where the sun will warm it up quicker will attract bait and fish and it is a good spot for spawning these fish will come eat and get ready to spawn and the bite will die(bass)

the blues well I don't think they will ever pass up a meal but they spawn in saltwater bass do not they prefer brackish to fresh water as eels do for spawning.

if you have ever seen eels in almost fresh water they are white after spawning they move to salt water as the bass will and turn a darker color.

Always fish hard 2 days before a storm bass like crappy water and you will have a couple days off after the storm.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Don't forget about the new moon and spring. I hate the full, love the new. Right now we're coming off one. There are no guaratees in fishing, but if you concentrate your fishing time around the new, you will up your numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    The tide thing is pretty much accurate other than certain back bay spots will still produce better on different tidal stages perhaps lower water up a river where the sun will warm it up quicker will attract bait and fish and it is a good spot for spawning these fish will come eat and get ready to spawn and the bite will die Always fish hard 2 days before a storm bass like crappy water and you will have a couple days off after the storm.
    Good advice. I fish some of the rivers in Ct and when the spring weather starts to get warm all the schoolies start to get active. When there is a spawning period, say 2 weeks or so, the fishing slows down a bit and then it starts to heat up again when they are done with the baby making.

Default Be willing to change your perspective as conditions change

The above title says it all to me.
    Lately a lot of folks here have been doing better on the incoming. Of course, that depends on where you fish, as some areas, like inlets and rips, are tide specific.

Last night I did well on the ebb tide.

Looking at what happened, I would say that the bite was bait-specific, rather than tide-specific. I didn't fish the flood. That could have been productive as well, as long as the rainfish that have recently come around were there.

This was my analysis after the fact, and self-knowledge that you have to try to identify even a slight pattern, if it does exist. The most important question to ask yourselves here....is "why? "

"The most productive part of the tide was deep into the night. It seemed there were less people out and about. I'll fish that tide pattern until the weather or bait presence changes."

Thank you for all the tips, guys.

Bays first. Skinny water heats up and fish eat worms after a cold winter. As the fish move, move out front or back to find them.