Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut fishing reports

Default Connecticut fishing reports

Hey Dark I didn't see the reports up for this year, so I'll start.
    I fished a river near me this morning using bombers. Caught one little guy, about 23" with a slow retrieve. I think it will only get better from here. Good luck to all you folks for 2011!

Heey thanks for the report albie. Way to get out there, I haven't been, yet. Good luck to you also.

Thank you for starting the thread, Albiealert. Hope you and the family had a great Easter!

Thanks Dark, didn't see this till now, hope you and the family had a great Fathers Day!
    I was out in the Sound over the weekened with my co-worker in his boat. We snagged some bunker and chunked in 25 feet of water. We got 3 big bluefish and one bass, around 21lbs, which he kept. There are a LOT of bunker around.

Bunker are still around. Last night it was hot and I took a drive to fish for a bit and cool off. There were bunker in a harbor near a river I sometimes fish. They were close, so I snagged a few with a weighted treble. Let them drop, no action. Brought them to where there was a little more current. Cut them up and chunked them with circle hooks. Ended up with 1 bass, 16lbs, released, and 2 gator blues over 12lbs, also released. The action seems like it has slowed down a bit as water temperatures have gotten hotter. So maybe I was lucky last night, as I have been out 3 times before that and could not find a thing.

Got one little guy last night, bomber and teaser, edge of a river, right at the top of the outgoing. There were a lot of small rainfish around, the bass hit the teaser.

Fished my local river at the beginning of the ebb tide cycle today. Managed 2 short fat bass using a megabait plug.

Rip-Plugger has started catching fish in the rivers up there.....he sent some pics...

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 1:05 PM
    Subject:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rip plugger 10-20-11.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	14306

Rip-Pluggers good friend Malibu Kenny came up from Florida for some fishing. MK's first night out with the big guy and he tangles with a Big Girl. After an epic battle MK lands this 45 inch Striper. R-P takes a quick pic and MK returned her back to the water. Rip-Plugger is doing some nice fishing and catching this fall up there.
    Nice catch MK, he caufght it on a Smiling Bill
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

now thats a bass i am want to see on the end of my line but with my luck this year its wishful thinking

Wow Malibu Kenny that is a pig! Great going. I fished the river last night, went through some shads because the bluefish are in. 2 bluefish to 7 lbs and one short bass about that size, all on the tsunami shads.

Alot of guys would be dying for a bluefish in NY and NJ lol
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I think it's amazing that you guys still have bluefish up there and our NJ surf has been barren of the larger blues for most of the season....Contrary to what people think, bluefish ain't stupid, they go where the highest concentrations of bait are...Nice catches, people...

Rip Plugger's latest...
    " got out later than I wanted,tide was ebbed at 2hrs by then,still did 8
    fish wth 2 fatties.
    strong fighters too,I thought I had fish that were bigger than they
    felt.
    took 3 on small white smiling bill and 5 on the albino seashad.

had fun doing it,warm temp too at 53 degreesF,weaher permitting I'll do
    it aain thursday night.
    took a few shots,will send later"

Nice going guys. I am now using small plugs like bombers and megabait because it seems the bait is small. Got one bass 29" last night on a black bomber. Conditions were perfect and it was really nice out. Released the fish.

Rip-Plugger report 3-30-12

got OTW at 10:30pm,tide was down but still heading out.

first thing was a 6 inch rip-runner in hallows eve color,slung it out past the second rip,it got slammed as it hit the second rip,I slam it back and the fish tried to sound on me,take me under the ledge but,he was way too far out.
    I had my drag tight and using 30 lb mono,I could lean on it hard,it took no drag but was surging.

I put heavy pressure on it and I felt the plug slip out but,the tail hook nailed him in the side near the pectoral fin,
    I got it in but,it was a battle.niced fat fish too around 28 inches or so.

I change to a tiny rip-runner in black/light green belly,the ones I did up with a single treble,it gets slammed on the second cast between the 2 rips.
    I lay into it and it thrashes on top,I land it and it's another fine fish about the same size.
    I took a shot of it and released it.
    I cast again with the same plug and it gets hit hard but,it got off.
    it gets quiet and i switch to a 6 inch sea-shad with a 5/8ths oz head.
    I sling that out for a while and I got a bump then a bang on it.I hook the fish and it shoots straight at me and gets off.

another cast across both rips and it gets hammered,I lay into it and drag it in.
    the fish didn't fight much and I didn't know why,it was fat but,it did nothing to get away,it was like it knew me or somerthing.
    anyhow,I took a pic and released it.

tried wood again but,it was nothing doing.I switched up and threw the batch,put on the sea shad and hooked up in a few casts.a small fish about 18 inches comes to shore.
    saw some small bait looked to be about 5 inches long,scattered around but,nothing in a big school.
    tide was low and slowing down but,still dropping.
    it was nice out there and being out there was great,no heads around and it was all mine,,,,,,,

So,I ended up with 5 fish to shore and a wide smile,nothing went wrong and no dammed bugs!
    till next session,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    another cast across both rips and it gets hammered,I lay into it and drag it in.
    the fish didn't fight much and I didn't know why,it was fat but,it did nothing to get away,it was like it knew me or somerthing.

Colder water, Roddy?
    What are the water temps up there now?

Sat March 31 Rip Plugger report:

got otw about 11-pm,tide was down but still going slow,only one fish landed.
    it took a chubby wedgehead/riprunner hybrid swimmer I built over the winter or late last year[chocolate/with white frosted top@5.5 inches]
    was quiet but,had 2 other fish slam rubber but,no hook,smaller fish.
    may take out my wife on monday night or tuesday night.

cheers
    H-H

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Colder water, Roddy?
    What are the water temps up there now?
    I don't think so,it was in shock I think.
    it was not injured or anything,just didn't move much,,,strange,,,,,,,

water temp is right around 48-50 right now.that has not stopped them from slamming wood though.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Nice going HH!

Hey guys I have been fishing my local river and getting some nice bass. They just started hitting good in the last 10 days. Been out twice and got bass to 32". all released. On bombers and redfins.
    Have you caught anything lately ripplugger?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast