Thread: Report: striper gamefish bill in North Carolina, good or bad idea

Default Report: striper gamefish bill in North Carolina, good or bad idea

I was reading the weakfish post and didn't realize they proposed agamefish bill in north carolina. I think we should have gamefish status all along the east coast just like we do in new jersey. It would make it a lot easier to nab violators and do the enforcement thing. I say it is about time.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/B...PDF/H353v1.pdf
    March 16, 2011
    *H353-v-1*
    A BILL TO BE ENTITLED 1
    AN ACT TO DESIGNATE RED DRUM, SPOTTED SEA TROUT, AND STRIPED BASS 2 AS COASTAL GAME FISH; TO PROHIBIT THE TAKING OF COASTAL GAME FISH 3 OTHER THAN BY HOOK-AND-LINE; TO PROHIBIT THE SALE OF COASTAL 4 GAME FISH; AND TO COMPENSATE COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN FOR CERTAIN 5 LOSSES DUE TO THE DESIGNATION AND PROHIBITION.

Make it a gamefish for the whole coast, I agree.

I tend to agree with what's been said. There are too many competing interests along the Coast. Making it a gamefish would standardize some of the protocols.

I agree but compensation for the commercials I think they have had their compensation for years.They can rod and reel
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

And rod and reel fishing is more selective and there are less dead, good point surfstix.

Thumbs down The points are moot, the Comms won.

They finagled it so it would be tabled till next year. The Comms and their lobbyists have a great influence on NC legislators. Meanwhile, there will be another year of killing bass in the highly concentrated "fishbowl" down there in the winter.

Really sucks.

Sent in by Finchaser, thanks.
    We lost this one, but all must keep the battles in perspective.

"
    HB353, the NC Game Fish Bill for four species including striped bass has been sent to a special study committee and will not be voted on this year. You can read all about it at this link
    http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=1935. According to some reports the bill was sent to committee because of a budget deal pushed by commercial fishing interests. It is hard to know the truth on these things, but the bill apparently did have enough legislative support to pass and will be brought forward again in May 2012. It is unlikely that the state of the striped bass fishery will look any better by then. This is a delay for the legislation, not a defeat. "

Looks like Marc Basnight still has some power despite resigning from the Senate.

I thought for sure with him gone the stranglehold that the commercials have on NC would be loosened.

That's what I get for thinkin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    That's what I get for thinkin'.

Thinking that the legislators are supposed to represent all interests fairly?
    Thinking that ALL constituents matter to them?
    Thinking that in our system of gov't, truth and justice will prevail over situations where the deck seems stacked?
    Thinking that Recs can get a fair shake of things in NC?

Yeah they will revisit it after next years winters slaughter if they remember,there politicians rank among the most corrupt in the nation when it comes to fishing. They should all burn in hell All this is was a way to blow smoke up the rec's a_s so they had time to cool off. A sort of we hear you and want to help, getting close to an election year got to put forth false hope as they need to be the anglers friend.

Very similar to Pallones striped bass game fish bill that hasn't passed in 20 years. Then again they let PA have a vote as a coastal state. A welcome card for poachers to have a place to sell bass. It all comes down to money talks and bullsh_t walks.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    A sort of we hear you and want to help, getting close to an election year got to put forth false hope as they need to be the anglers friend.

A welcome card for poachers to have a place to sell bass. It all comes down to money talks and bullsh_t walks.
    They must teach them all this in politician school.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Yeah they will revisit it after next years winters slaughter if they remember,there politicians rank among the most corrupt in the nation when it comes to fishing. They should all burn in hell All this is was a way to blow smoke up the rec's a_s so they had time to cool off. A sort of we hear you and want to help, .
    Everytime I read something like this I think of the phrase the gov't for the people, BY the people. It appears to me that our gov't is run by career politicians, for the benefit of them, and the special interests they represent. I don't trust any of those bastards, how can you?

getting rid of career politicians would solve a lot of problems.

the founding fathers envisioned citizen reps; go serve for a term and then go home.

i think it would still work great. good luck tho getting them to vote themselves out of their jobs