Thread: Artificial Trends in Fluke Fishing

Default Artificial Trends in Fluke Fishing

A decade ago the 'ball jig' was a hot lure, couldn't go on a PB without seeing one. Better yet, they were solid and dependable fluke catchers.

Then the Spro jigs came onto the scene and most of us former Smiling Bill guys switched over. Not that I've seen a difference but I do have some in my box.

On my last trip on the Seahawk out of Perth Amboy, I saw guys using ten inch curly tail grubs and catching some nice fish. I've always used shorter grubs but the size of the bait, tipped with spearing or whatever, seemed to make a difference.

Now, being the slave to fluking fashion that I am, it'll be off to find the monster grubs..

My switch it up presentation for bucktails is now a 6-8" grub, chartreuse or white. I won't use them when a lot of bluefish are around, then I switch to pork. Those grubs do ring the bell, though, not only for big fluke but for fat bass.

Big grubs for big fish in the surf. I like them after a bad storm system. The fish can't find much else but clams, so you are limited. I fish them on the bottom and the grub tail works like magic if there are any fish around.

Seems like the ability to push water might be a factor in the success of the larger grubs. Looking forward to giving them a try.

It's amazing the size of the fluke that will hit those grubs. The grub is only a little bigger than them and they are hitting it! The real thrill comes when you have a fluke 7lbs or better and he slams it! Awesome experience, I think the grubs actually work better than the mullet or the new penny shrimp.

I think the bigger body with the larger tail sends more vibration through the water ringing a louder dinner bell
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    Seems like the ability to push water might be a factor in the success of the larger grubs. Looking forward to giving them a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I think the bigger body with the larger tail sends more vibration through the water ringing a louder dinner bell
    The gulp grubs are even better though now the way they make them they don't last as long. Makes you think what the fishermen did before gulp was invented.