Thread: 2 more

Default 2 more

Heres 2 more I never posted a 3 oz. popper one of my best color plugs early a.m.(daybreak) for stripers pearl white w/ a lt. pearl pink blended over the white.And the 2nd is a Speedy Pocket Rocket done up in bloofish colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg  

Cranky Old Bassturd.

Polaris poppers/ bottle plugs are an underutilized resource in NJ, Surfstix. Most guys concentrate on pencils with the bunker around. A lot of them don't realize that Polaris poppers can throw more water, have much more of a finesse aspect where you can play around with the retrieve, and are a killer profile to throw at night. Nice lookin plugs!

Yep Rich they can be swam and gently popped or popped like you would a normal popper when blues are the target I let it land get the slack out and pop it viciously a couple times swim it a bit and they usually slam it right after 2 or 3 good pops pencils are good they work if you can work them, they tend to miss alot of fish though IMO unless you keep a treble on the rear.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

nice plugs bro man if i could paint like u i would be a deadly plug maker...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great looking plugs Surfstix, Pearl anything is an awesome color, your painting is awesome.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Thanks guys. I swear by my Iwata airbrush and I don't want my plugs to be wall hangers. too many guys have painting skills that are better off on custom cars not plugs they are so damn nice I wouldn't put them near water so to me thats pointless if you collect other builders plugs thats a different story.One of these days I'll come give ya some painting lessons Speedy and you can show me how to build plugs Hey Monty I hope those poppers are working out for you any toothy critters yet.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Hey Monty I hope those poppers are working out for you any toothy critters yet.
    Surfstix they pop great. I have not caught a bass or blue on top yet (pencil or polaris) (also most of my fishing has been in the dark). Its crazy, everything has been below the surface for me. Had a morning with 20+ blues and they would not touch anything on top. Top water used to catch three out of four fish for me, lots, lots less now. Its only a matter of time till they start smashing your paint job
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^ This is the strangest year for fishing so far, guys. Almost all of my night fish are coming from mid level in the water column. Topwater scored some bass only one memorable night when the rainfish were busting around. Pencils and Dannys are working during the bunker blitzes. Along with Polaris style poppers, Gag's grabbers, etc, ones which throw a lot of water on top, but at night it's a different story. Slow and low has been the way to go, and as Monty said, even bluefish in the ocean have been a bit sluggish, hitting lower presentations and metals. We have not had a consistent amount of big bluefish in the ocean yet, other than in the inlets and close by them.

Yet in LI, guys are having a blast with topwater plugs for bluefish and good amounts of bass, even at night and in low light hours. Of course those bay areas are warmer. And our NJ ocean temps are pretty cold, dropped from mid 60's to slightly above mid-50's in the past week. When it's colder, fish tend to stay nearer the bottom. Also, they have had more small forage, which we have had minimal amounts of, in the surf. We finally got some large schools of spearing along several surf areas in the past week. I'm hoping they'll stay around.

We'll get something on your plugs yet, Surf!
    They swim good, and are good profiles. Soon as the ocean water warms they'll be getting chewed!

Thats a good analysis Darkskies, the water did seem pretty cold today.
    Nice plugs surfstix!

.One of these days I'll come give ya some painting lessons Speedy and you can show me how to build plugs :laugh.

any time bro....... your on!!!!!!!!!

monty just wait till you swin the bigdon copy got so time to epoxy it today !!!!!

Default Re: 2 more

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Thanks guys. I swear by my Iwata airbrush and I don't want my plugs to be wall hangers. too many guys have painting skills that are better off on custom cars not plugs they are so damn nice I wouldn't put them near water so to me thats pointless if you collect other builders plugs thats a different story..

X2 why have such an expensive paint job if they will get chopped up by blues? Nice work surfstix