Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing Reports for June 2008

Default NY Fishing Reports for June 2008

Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay
    GK- Great Kills

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JB -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
    SI -- Staten Island
    ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

NJ Week in Review 6-2-08

Well folks this has been another good week for fishing, but boaters have again done better than surfcasters in terms of catching bass. This has some long-time surfcasters saying "Where are the Bass? ". (Look for the thread pertaining to this)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...read.php?t=760

I hope those who are interested, in all states, can take some time and look at this , even if you only skim it over.

Everyone's opinion is welcome, even if just to say you don't agree with it. Most importantly, we as anglers are one of the most un-organized lobbying groups out there (if you compare us to other well-organized lobbying groups).

One of the reasons for that thread was to get people interested and asking questions. If you're too busy, I understand. But sooner or later some groups may be pushing for closures of certain areas, and we want to be prepared if this begins to happen.

The significant body of bunker that had been sitting in the area off IBSP has again provided action a few times this week

As far as bait other than bunker, larger spearing, and decent schools of rainfish, are starting to appear with greater frequency in the bays and inlets. Small herring are also being slaughtered by hungry predators. Incredibly, the first schools of baby peanut bunker have been reported swimming through the inlets, the progeny of the adults that have been here for 2 months.

Realistically, night fishing offers you the best chance of getting a bigger bass, but please be respectful of others out there, and the lights you may use to guide your way around. If you don't have a lot of fishing experience, it's dangerous at night, particularly for those who try to catch fish in the rocky areas. Please be careful, and good luck out there.

NY Week in Review 6-2-08

NY fishing in the surf continues to seem better than that in NJ right now, as reported privately by our members, and on some other boards.

The NY back bays and inlets are still offering good chances to connect with decent fish for those at the right place at the right time. Sometime soon, the bays will heat up and push the bigger predators out into colder water, on the ocean side.

Once the bay water temps are in the higher 60s and low 70s for a sustained period of time, this boom of better catches will slow down for surf fishermen, except for those who fish exclusively at night, so get em while you can.

Look for concentrations of bait, you will find the bigger fish not far behind. Good luck out there! -- bunkerjoe

Behind FI last night, bucktails, shads, weedy water brown water.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished near WE tonight, not a tap.

pinhead44 Guest

JB inlet early this morning, bucktails, nothing. Few other people there didn't get anything either.

great kills yesterday in the night, 3 bluefish on bunker chunks

great kills yesterday night, one lost fish, nothing else, on bunker.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished FI inlet last night, many shad and small blue hookups on sabiki rig. The shad action is great if anyone wants to take their kids there. Heard bass were eating the shad, but didn't see any caught.

Fished around JB last night, about a dozen bluefish on poppers near high tide.

last night great kills, 4 bluefish and one striper! 36inches, thank you all for helping me here, I used a fishfinder for the weight.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished a new spot behind fi last night, not a touch. Water was brown and weedy.

Behind Robert Moses last night, the water seemed clearer than people have reported. 4 bass to 25" on black bombers, fished the outgoing tide.

great kills in the night one bass 28" fresh bunker

pinhead44 Guest

FI area last night, one huge bag of nothing.

Part 2 of my "no fish" story. Went to GK, armed with fresh bunker, live bunker in an aerated bucket, and my plug bag. I hate this transition period when we are on the crossover of fishing with bait, to the point when you can just bring your plug bag, and leave all the other clutter behind.

As I walked onto the beach with all that crap, it occurred to me that a guy bringing all that stuff to the surf for a few hours fishing, along with the required stops along the way to change the ammoniated water, might just indicate a slight fishing addiction.

Is there a 12 step program for fishaholics?

Got to the beach, and it had more weeds than an issue of High Times. Guys were set up all in one line fishing. There were even a couple of tents out there. Nnothing but a very small pick of cocktail blues, the bite was really off.

I set up away from them because I wanted to fish the live bunker without any problems. Not a tap on the bunker, even though I waded out up to my chest to throw it in a good range. I left after a while.

Spent the next 5 hours exploring all the supposed great spots on the North side of SI and the NY Harbor. Last night, they must have known I was coming over, because the bite shut down.

At one place where there is a great expanse of water I cut up and chummed with about 30 bunker, still no success. But I did meet a cool fisherman and his wife at that spot, so not a total loss.

Anyway, got to learn a few great potential spots, for those future nights when I just can't buy a fish.

Tomorrow's another day.

NJ fishing week in review 6-9-08

The past week has been a very rewarding one to be a surfcaster in NJ. There have been some incredible catches reported, and some more incredible ones that are not being reported. The best advice I can give you folks out there is the find the bunker. When you find the combination of bunker and bass, amazing things can happen.

I just want you folks to be aware that this might be the last push of bass that we will get from the south before the water heats up to much, and they move out of our area to northern states. If you have been putting off fishing because of other obligations, then the next two weeks would be the most productive time of all to focus on fishing. Catch them up – Bunker Joe.

NY week in review 6-9-08

Folks things have really heated up in NJ in certain areas. Look for those fish to come your way soon. Now is the most productive time to put other things aside and get out fishing. Good Luck – Bunker Joe.

Fished the inlet FI last night. Using bunker chunks, I got one cshort bass and a dogfish. There are also shad around, you vcan get them with small jigs and flutter spoons.

OK folks, the winner for the May NY fishing reports plug giveaway is BassBuddah. Buddah, please e-mail me the address where you want it sent. The plug will be a Davis topwater swimmer, similar to the ones fishlipper is using. You will be getting a yellow one. If anyone has not yet checked out the thread for Davis lures, go take a look. He's a good plug-builder, sells them at reasonable prices, and as shown, they do catch fish.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78

Congrats to all others who have been in the right place at the right time and have caught those big bass. Even more congrats to those who caught 10 or 20 of them at a time, and released them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p 6-04-08 NJ Misc 010.jpg   00003.jpg  

pinhead44 Guest

Fished a creek area near the mouth of jbay early today. Caught 3 short bass, shads and maga baits. There are a lot of bunker around.

RM last night, one bass 38" on clams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast