Thread: StripersandAnglers yearly coastwide fish stock assessment, state of the fishery

Hybrid View

"3. Yet, only small patches of our LI and NJ coastlines now hold fish during the season. This is a drastic change from 5-8 years ago, not just something that is attributable to Sandy.
    I would ask our members to remember the Fall 2013 great bass fishing off the Moriches/ FI area...great fishing yes, but many other areas of LI and NJ were barren at that time...so barren that a few Jersey head boats were making that 50 mile trip, each way, to catch striped bass."For the past 2 months, if you weren't fishing in North Jersey, it was as easy catching a striper as catching lightning in a bottle (just ask Ben F about that)

Yet, we had some charter "captains" claiming the striper stocks were fine, no worries! Yeah, ask the rest of the charter fleet how that worked out. If you weren't in the back hitting up the local resident bass, then it was a big zero.

Yes, we had the usual lone cows come through, and those big catches were posted by every bait shop in the county, but they were far and few between

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post

Yet, we had some charter "captains" claiming the striper stocks were fine, no worries! Yeah, ask the rest of the charter fleet how that worked out. If you weren't in the back hitting up the local resident bass, then it was a big zero.

Yes, we had the usual lone cows come through, and those big catches were posted by every bait shop in the county, but they were far and few between
    I have the weeks marked down in my log when the big fish have hit the beach in the past. that really didn't happen this year. I understand jetty country and beach replenishment but there has been no replenishment at island beach and they have passed us by with the exception of a few good nights near the inlet and some dawn and dusk bites. The numbers are definitely down. Those captains that are saying that, they can't prove its fine. They are lying through their teeth.

It's the time of year to start adding to this thread......If anyone here has observations that they feel would help us going forward...please feel free to share....
    I will be adding observations as I get more time...
    Thanks....