Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StripersandAnglers yearly coastwide fish stock assessment, state of the fishery

Hybrid View

Time to add a little to this....will come back when I can. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experience and anecdotes.
    I posted this earlier-"There are a few encouraging signs out there:
    2. lots of little striped bass from the robust 2011 and 2015 YOY classes.

#2 above has become a prominent feature many have been noticing last year and this Winter. Small 2nd through 5th year class striped bass seem to be everywhere.

Although I try to keep up with the Coastwide striped bass populations, thanks to a few hundred contacts I've met over the years, I need to add to it, that this is the first time I have felt some positive signs in a while.....
    The robustness of these small fry year classes does look well for the future of the fishery....
    a. given the fact they need a couple years to reach maturity,
    b. and folks don't lose sight that there are serious gaps in many of the breeder class years...

** Bear in mind that this is only the chart for the Chesapeake strain. There are different things going on with the Delaware and Hudson River strains. I have personally experienced the ups and downs of fishing all those areas. However, I believe these robust year classes can help us overall.

Very positive nonetheless...and something to be happy about...."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0063.jpg  

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12