Thread: Surf Launch practice

Default Surf Launch practice

Found this on another site. Always a FUN time!!! The Asbury Park press will be covering this. Hoping that it will promote kayak fishing safety!

Time again for our annual surf launch practice. Just as with the last 3 years, this will be held just in front of The Breakers Hotel in Spring Lake on the Kayak Beach. We will do it again on a Saturday early in the Morning 8 am. The date will be July 2nd.

This is always simply a casual get together that welcomes all kayakers of all skill levels who want to practice, teach, play, hang-out, or even fish.

For those new to this we bring the fishing yaks out without all of our regular implements of destruction such as fishing rods and tackle. We hop in and practice self rescues, going out through surf and coming back in without dumping and even riding waves.

Its a great way to gain confidence, meet some friends old and new, and get ready for the fall run. Its free and not sponsored by anyone. We usually have a great crowd and I have many fond memories of great wrecks, good times and learning new tricks. Any questions please feel free to post em up or you can reach via PM.

If you always wanted to learn how to get out and back in one piece there are alot of great kayakers that show up and are happy to give tips and share best practices that they have gleaned over years of doing surf launches.

Hope to see you there. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions or wants to contribute, my cyber-door is always open.

Tight lines!
    Shipwreck

Thanks for posting that, Judy.
    Shipwreck has been doing this, with some other folks, for a few years now.

Last year, there was an "internet hero" or 2 that gave Ship a hard time and was pretty critical and abusive of him doing this, trying to get as much mileage as he could out of making fun of "kayaking for beginners, IE kayaking for babies"

Its ironic, because one of Ship's main critics is about 5'1" tall, weighs about 101 lbs, and is the sleaziest type of creature, slinking around like he's 10 feet tall on the internet, emboldened by the anonymity of it all. Yet, in real life, this "terror of the internet" is a miserably ineffective character who makes his unexciting life seem better by putting others down.

This surf launch seminar is a good thing, folks.
    All of us had to learn safety procedures at one time or another.
    It's better to learn them in the day, when things are calm, than when you are in a rip at night and have to get back to shore, or when you paddle out to a rocky lighthouse at night and have to maneuver carefully with strong current.

I feel with all the new guys getting into kayaking, these safety seminars are fantastic opportunities to learn and meet others who share your passion.

So no need to be embarassed, or shy.
    Whatever your level of experience, we can always learn a new trick or 2 when it comes to kayaking....and in the end, it just might save your gear from being busted up, or save your life.

I understand they will also have a broad selection of kayaks to try for those who are at the beginning stages of figuring out what's best for them.

I wish I had the time, cause I would definitely be there. Check it out, and thanks to Ship and the others for being so generous with their time.

Good deal, thanks for the info.

Bump for the surf launch seminar, it's tomorrow....

Cool, I wish we had one of these on LI.

The turn out was really great yesterday. Everyone had a great time and the experienced yakers were such Great coaches for all the people that needed help and practice. Here's the link for the online version from the press.
    http://www.app.com/article/20110703/...sectionstories

Thanks for the update and the link, Judy. A woman was drowned the other night as her kayak overturned. We cannot emphasize safety too much. IMO it's a good thing, no matter who doesn't agree with it.

Wow that was a cool article. Really liked this picture of Dee Kelly launching through the waves. He shot her at just the right moment.