Thread: sharks from the surf?

Default sharks from the surf?

Is anyone catching them right now? I am assuming it is a night bite. What precautions are you guys using for these toothy critters?

Got 2 last night in ocean county, to 5'. We were using bunker, steel leaders, and 10/0 circle hooks, it makes the release a lot easier. We were also chumming with cheap canned cat food, took all the cans out with us when we left. I know that sounds crazy we usually throw small pieces of bunker, tails, guts, ets. We couldnt find a lot of bunker and had to end up buying it
    You do have to throw the brown ones back as they are protected. Catch and release is still a ton of fun, though and there are a lot of sharks around.

Awesome report vsdreams, I have to try that one night soon!

Precautions.
    the sharks you will get at night can be dangerous. They can twist and turn their bodies 180 degrees, and put a tear in your skin that requires instant emergency medical attention. Catch and release is fun, but I have seen photographs of folks posing with their smiling faces close to the head of the shark they are about to release. Please do not fall into that trap as these are wild creatures and unpredictable.

These dudes in Fla got a 700lb hammerhead from the surf! The chick is annoying try to turn the sound down or tune her out. The shark is awesome!

I am going on vacation to New Smyrna Beach Florida this summer. NSB is also known as the shark capital of the world. Apparently there are a ton of spinner sharks in the surf, you can google spinner sharks in new Smyrna beach jumping out of the water- they jump right next to the surfers. I am looking to hook into some with both my fly rod and my spinning gear!

Well we started sharking as the bass and blue action has been pretty quiet.
    Got a few doggies in moco last nite. still trying for a brown.

Attachment 18601
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN 873.jpg  

Pretty cool article about shark Tony Cutugno.

Jersey Shore legend 'Shark Tony' catches hundreds of sharks, conquers ocean from his kayak
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...hark_tony.html

^^^^^cool video. Tony shows how you can be a minimalist and still catch.

That was awesome thanks for sharing. In 2012 he caught a 7foot dusky off ocean city.