Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home made lures etc

So I've been doing a bit more wreck/reef fishing the past two weeks and loosing a bunch of jigs every trip.

I tied up a dozen beautiful fluke jigs and I applied the final top coat last night. I set them to spin on my homemade drying wheel.

It looks like I did a poor job of balancing the weight because in the time it took for me to use the bathroom and come back one of the jigs came loose and was banging around on the others as the wheel spun. So I have chartreuse bucktails with white paint on them and white bucktails with chartreuse paint on them and bumpy uneven surfaces.

Its not like the fish care what they look like but this candy chartreuse paint job I've been playing with was pretty sick!

It will make donating them to the bottom that much easier ~.~

Don't worry about ones that got a little color mixed in with the others. Or the finished product. Think of the lead part as a delivery system for a teaser above or a trailer or piece of rubber or gulp at the end. The fish are not that picky. If action is slow it is usually because less fish are in that area. Good luck.

^ JB..... take what bucket says with a grain of salt. He's old, retired, and has time to fish almost every day. (Maybe I'm just jealous) You have to wonder a bit about those old farts.

Tell ya what....
    I know what a perfectionist you are.....
    Since those bucktails are no longer perfect....they are probably of no use to you....
    Once the colors run together and the finish is no longer absolutely smooth....fish just won't want them anymore....
    Send them to me, and I'll dispose of them properly for ya......in a safe and environmentally friendly manner...

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    If action is slow it is usually because less fish are in that area. Good luck.
    Hogwash. Every day on the internet there is another know-it-all claiming striped bass numbers are not down, and there are more bass than ever. The problem is.....
    1. we just don't know how to catch em.
    2. Or they are just offshore, and therefore invisible to most of us now.
    Yep...that must be the reason we are not seeing em like we used to.

Dark i think you are always going to have the trolls. They have nothing better to do and are probably unhappy in their own sad lives. So they have to keep putting stuff online that is not true. If someone can't see that fishing is off, they would have to be blind. Just my .02.
    Yes, I am retired and it's good to be able to get out there and fish for my morning exercise. Whether I catch or not it's still worth it to me. You are not too far from being old yourself. You are welcome to shoot the breeze any time.

Still my favorite jighead style to date.

Canal, 6oz with 10/0 Forged Mustad Hook

Canal, 2oz with 8/0 Forged Mustad Hook

Sometimes you just get bored with tying the plain old fish catching white bucktail & red thread ultra minnow combo...and what you end up with is a 1.5oz Ultra Minnow in Electric Chicken or as some like to call it now Tutti Frutti.

This was a 4oz Ultra Minnow jig head that had been sitting on my tying bench for well over a year. I absolutely hated the way the pink paint job came out and out of the 5 or so shades of pink bucktails that I had none matched it even remotely. I was showing some friends how to tie bucktails and one of them loved the color so I said what the heck I bet I can make it work.

The end result was a mixture of blue, chartreuse and white hackles along with blue, purple, chartreuse, white, salmon pink, and fluorescent pink bucktails. I can't help but to think that the jig would look even better on a shiny tin jig head...maybe next time

Killer jig heads for stripers off the beach featuring heavy duty forged Mustad hooks.

1/2oz jig and the bigger brother at 1-1/2oz

Awesome bucktails do you think you will ever be making enough to sell them? And if so how much? thanks

Like Surferman said, awesome.
    Incredible workmanship.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice looking bucktails.

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    Awesome bucktails do you think you will ever be making enough to sell them? And if so how much? thanks
    Its a possibility over the winter, I always said I would sell a few here and there to offset the cost of getting new molds. Most of these molds are not cheap

Nice work JB...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Very nice work there.

been a while since I posted anything in here.

Sea Robin bucktails for fluke

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   IMG_20160620_212038777_HDR.jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234