Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made lures etc

Default Home made lures etc

There are a lot of guys here that make fantastic plugs, speedy, surfstix, rip plugger, just ed. I noticed that all of these are made on a lathe. You guys all have great talent. I was searching youtube and wondering if anyone else is making small batches of plugs in a simple style. I found this guy, BmB, and wondered what you experienced guys thought of his work. Interesting stuff.

Default Home made topwater lure

Default how to make a home made crank bait fishing lure

Default more home made lures

These look like he cast them or something like that, some kind of plastic? Hardened to withstand abuse, heavy epoxy or etex coating. Any thoughts on this and how he made them, fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    There are a lot of guys here that make fantastic plugs, speedy, surfstix, rip plugger, just ed. I noticed that all of these are made on a lathe. You guys all have great talent. I was searching youtube and wondering if anyone else is making small batches of plugs in a simple style. I found this guy, BmB, and wondered what you experienced guys thought of his work. Interesting stuff.

nice you have to start some where and do what works for you i see he uses screw eyes a lot of guy still do i like full wired imo like said before its what works for you
    nice clip bro ..

Anything works hand carving is a skill or you could clamp down a drill and shape a plug w/sandpaper lathes are good for quick precision work when you want to make multiples of the same plug they make quick work of it.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Default Re: I found it!

My wife picked me up a $0.99 wooden egg from the craft store. I made my own casting egg- it can be a spare. Attachment 17289 side by side comparison. $8.99 vs $0.99.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cast.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    side by side comparison. $8.99 vs $0.99.

Nice job rob. Nothing wrong with being thrifty. Looks the same to me. All you have to do is drill and through wire. You can put screw eyes in for smaller fish to start, but if you are going to get into it seriously I would through wire them. Be sure to let us know what it looks like when you're finished. Lots of small bait around now those things should present the flys well.

Thanks BassBuddah- I need to get some tools for through wire- should be the same stuf for plugs. Right now I just put 100# mono through it with beads and swivels. As I get more knowledge I will start learning how to do the through wire. Actually my plan is to build my own and make them more cigar shaped.

What's the weight?
    reach out to Speedy he made me a few nice ones. Cigar shaped don't weigh enough or cast as well and can't be seen from a distance tried them years ago when Billy McFadden made some when he turned plugs. They are usually painted yellow, chartreuse or orange like the Styrofoam ones they use down south for redfish and sea trout so you can see it very important when targeting surface feeding fish. If you use screw eyes make sure they are stainless and epoxied in

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What's the weight?
    reach out to Speedy he made me a few nice ones. Cigar shaped don't weigh enough or cast as well and can't be seen from a distance tried them years ago when Billy McFadden made some when he turned plugs. They are usually painted yellow, chartreuse or orange like the Styrofoam ones they use down south for redfish and sea trout so you can see it very important when targeting surface feeding fish. If you use screw eyes make sure they are stainless and epoxied in
    the egg feels about 1-1/2 oz. I though the color was for visibility- I will give the eggs a try this weekend. Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    nice you have to start some where and do what works for you i see he uses screw eyes a lot of guy still do i like full wired imo like said before its what works for you
    nice clip bro ..
    I am scared of using plugs with screw eyes because there is always that fear they will come out with a big bluefish. I think if there was a way to develop a scew eye that expanded as you put it into the body of the plug it might work well. That would be pretty hard to engineer though. Your way or through wiring is definitely better engineered.

Toggle bolts, steve I think that is a good idea in concept but the design of toggles is such that the opening pieces are designed to open in an unencumbered empty space. I thought about what you suggested and they could work if you were willing to take the time and drill out a cavity in the unfinished plug by manipulating the drill at different angles whole keeping the pilot hole relatively small. This could make the cavity big enough to put the toggle in and manipulate it so that it opened and sat against the bottom of the wood. I also thought about how you would make the hook eye. I did find one that could work in theory here is a pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toggle-bolts.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	17438

The ones in the top left or bottom middle could be used for the purpose you were talking about, with the added step of bending the hook into an eye after inserting the hook when everything is completed. It would have to be made much smaller than the ones I have used in construction. That would be such a pita though. So complicated. to do something like that, through drilling through the center, and using wire, just seems to be less complicated and would guarantee a better balanced plug. As they say balance is everything. Lots of guys out there making unbalanced plugs that don't swim right.

Maybe speedy madcaster or surfstix would have further feedback?

Here is a 2oz custom canal jig with 8/0 Forged Mustad that I powder painted yesterday using a heat gun for the first time. I found the heat gun was much better than my prior experiences of using a propane torch. With the propane torch its hard to get the temperature right...too often I would burn the paint or not get it hot enough the first time.

Tied up a few this morning, zap a gap glue under and during the wrapping process so the hair wont pull out. Put a coat of hard as nails over the wraps for extra durability and will seal the wraps and head with 30min waterproof epoxy for extra durability.

Now all I need is some fish.

Nice looking bucktail dude!

Good job JB

The 2oz jig needed a friend so I tied one up for him.

1oz with 7/0 Mustad Forged hook.

Nice work JB
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

nice bucktails JB!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast