Thread: 5 years in the making

Default 5 years in the making

and 3 re-builds later, I got it right.
    Couldn't wait till I had pictures, just needed to post a teaser.
    I call it the cannon.
    Loving the new Fuji KWAG's
    400+ feet with a 4 ounce bucktail, with little effort.
    The thread work kicks a$$ toooooooo.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    400+ feet with a 4 ounce bucktail, with little effort.
    The thread work kicks a$$ toooooooo.

400' ?
    I'm already impressed without the pics.
    Look forward to seeing them.

Yeah, please post some pictures!

Pics tonight guy's.
    While I was test casting it, I started at the lowest rating of 2 ounces, and it barely loaded up. I clipped the 4 ounce and it got sweet.
    I threw a couple of lobs and got some good distance. I loaded up the next cast, and my 1st Gen Zee, freshly spooled with 300 yards +/- of 65 lb power pro braid, ended up with less than half the spool. I was casting into a pond near the house that is 250 yards across. I was more than 2/3's across the pond where the jig landed. I will be going to a football field near the house within the next 2 or 3 days to get a better measurement.

I could not duplicate the efforts from the pond distance wise, or I overestimated (most likely). From one goal post at the football field I was able, However to put a cast directly through the other Goal post. Best cast, 340 feet. Still good distance, but not what I had thought and claimed earlier.
    Here's the pics of the wraps;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	13843
    The Butt wrap, overall 14 inches multi step with a plus 1 interval.

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	13844

Butt wrap up close.

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	13845

The Flaming Skull was done by John, AKA, DoubleRunner. This is placed in the middle of the split grips at the butt. It was his first attempt with his Renzetti wonder weaver. Needless to say he is a quick study and picks up every lesson immediately. I have taught many to build rods, John has surpassed any of my former students in spades.

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	13846

The Guide wraps. Fuji "K" frames. I will never build another surf rod with any other type of guide ever again.

Sick wrap job.
    Whats the blank?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Lami, BSB Fiberglass. 3M action, rated 2 to 6. Started out at 13', cut the butt 12" and the tip 6. Moved the sweet spot down to right where the first guide is wrapped. The rating has changed to a 3 minimum, havent loaded it past 5 yet, but I would bet it handles 7. Sweet spot is right at 4.
    Those "K" frames love braid, and the placement with the Zee is straight on, the line goes through slicker than snot...........

Really nice Ed enjoy
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Totally awesome work.

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    Best cast, 340 feet. Still good distance, but not what I had thought and claimed earlier...

The Flaming Skull was done by John, AKA, DoubleRunner. This is placed in the middle of the split grips at the butt. It was his first attempt with his Renzetti wonder weaver. Needless to say he is a quick study and picks up every lesson immediately. I have taught many to build rods, John has surpassed any of my former students in spades.
    340 feet is still twice as far as many guys are usually casting, plenty of distance.
    And that flaming skull is quickly becoming Doublerunner/John's signature trademark. High quality work, thanks for sharing.

Primo work justEd, when are you going to fish it?

Tomorrow night, its going swimming..................

Hopefully a giant cow puts it to the test!

Saw him fish it last night. We hiked to the canyons. 1st cast he nails a keeper. I know it's all because that flaming skull gave that rod some mojo. It's like it calls to the stripers. Here I am, look into my eyes, you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleeepppyyy. And then BAM you are hooked up.

LOL. You know I am just kidding. My ego ain't that big. LOL

Putting a cow to the test? I have a STRONG feeling that is coming this fall. Stay tuned
    Enjoy the Journey

Fresh rod with Flaming Skull weave done by John = Mojo
    My Fathers old fishing knife from days going back more than 40 years on my belt = Mojo
    (Found it buried away in the old basement while doing a remodel a few days ago)
    North Bar Green Mack = Mojo
    Fishing one of my all time favorite locations with 2 of my best friends = Mojo X 50

Default Re: 5 years in the making

Quote Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
    Saw him fish it last night. We hiked to the canyons. 1st cast he nails a keeper. I know it's all because that flaming skull gave that rod some mojo. It's like it calls to the stripers. Here I am, look into my eyes, you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleeepppyyy. And then BAM you are hooked up.

LOL. You know I am just kidding. My ego ain't that big. LOL

Putting a cow to the test? I have a STRONG feeling that is coming this fall. Stay tuned
    Hey I would believe that flaming skull would call the fish. It just has to. Too sick looking not to. Awesome work.