Thread: Eels and needles

Default Eels and needles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	13837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	13836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	13835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	13834
    Here’s some more. These are made of pine and weighted in the ends
    There all 6’’ and 1 ¾ weight. The one without the pencil are ¾ dowels.
    I used to try to make them perfect until one day I snapped one off and watch it fly away. All that work floating away.

Nice work and nice paint hopefully the sandeels will be in good numbers this fall.I gave up on perfection a lomg time ago I do my best and if the epoxy gets dust bunnies oh well the blues get rid of them quickly
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I gave up on perfection a lomg time ago I do my best and if the epoxy gets dust bunnies oh well the blues get rid of them quickly

I think that's a great point that surfstix made. We sometimes focus on too many details, I know I do. Get it done to get it out there, or in the hands of one of your friends to see it get beat up.

No offense to the many great plug builders, here and elsewhere... but....
    The fish don't care about the scale pattern
    They don't care if it's 2 toned, with pearl iridescent paint...
    They don't care if you used the latest super high tech epoxy with 3.7 minutes of drying time and advanced paint bonding polymers in it!

All they care about is the profile, and if it looks like food to them...

Had no idea you were so into this, madcaster.
    You're full of surprises.

Very sweet work dude! how long have you been making them, are they thru wired?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I think that's a great point that surfstix made. We sometimes focus on too many details, I know I do. Get it done to get it out there, or in the hands of one of your friends to see it get beat up.

They don't care if you used the latest super high tech epoxy with 3.7 minutes of drying time and advanced paint bonding polymers in it!

Absolutely true I do believe color tones work, and light spectrums cause certain colors to work better under differant conditions.
    Most of the high dollar "custom" plugs catch mre fisherman than they do fish.
    My paint schemes and those of a few bud's that build, are basic. They catch fish and thats what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Very sweet work dude! how long have you been making them, are they thru wired?
    About 2 years now. Yes they are wired thru. The belly hole is filled partially with epoxy , as well the wire is epoxy in the front or head.

plug making was in my profile LOL ....lot more surprises to come ....

Great work madcaster. What has your success rate been using them?

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    Absolutely true I do believe color tones work, and light spectrums cause certain colors to work better under differant conditions.
    Most of the high dollar "custom" plugs catch mre fisherman than they do fish.
    My paint schemes and those of a few bud's that build, are basic. They catch fish and thats what matters.

X2, white, yellow. black and purple are my favorite colors. Good point. Real nice work there madcaster.

I really like those sand eels. I don't think too many guys are making stuff that small out of wood. creative.

Nice, 1 3/4 looks like the perfect thing to throw for those late summer surf trips.

I really like the one on the bottom and down to the right, I bet the green tail will be a killer in the fall. Primo work!

Yeah not me my eyes aren't that good anymoreI have a hard enough time tying my teasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I really like those sand eels. I don't think too many guys are making stuff that small out of wood. creative.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Sometimes we get a little to crazy I know I do with our plugs personally its just a challenge or hobby if you will that got me through some rough times I need to keep busy I'm just that type of person sometimes I'm my own worst enemy I did a post awhile ago about a older guy about 80 plus(Leo) I use to see at the beach alot in his chair had his pole very rarely fished started talking to him turns out he starts showing me pics one day of a van with his name on it and he made plugs and drove out to Montauk in his earlier years and sold them(had to make ends meet I guess)there is nothing fancy about them one day I could not reach the fish and he said kid take that effin treble hook off the front and catch fish I did and reached the fish I thanked him later on he told me those damn hooks cause nothing but drag on a plug I said but the bass always hit the head and he told me BS never used a front never will I still use a front hook BTW but I will not hesitate to take that front hook off if I can't reach the fish BTW again you can catch bass with a single tail hook just like Leo said.I didn't see him for a couple of years and didn't know what became of him and last year while out camping I met a guy lost his job lost his house the blues were raiding bunker he did n't have a snag hook I couldn't fish so I dug through my stuff and gave him a few snag hooks so he could catch dinner and eventually he did he thanked me and we were BS'ing and he handed me this plug and I knew right away it was Leo's and asked him he said you know him and I went through the whole story as of last year leo was still alive but fishing the north shore he has gotten to old to head down to us.So sorry for the long story but I will not touch that plug ever brass wire and all I learned a lot from the old timers and respect them for their knowledge made me a better person and fisherman.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    yeah not me my eyes aren't that good anymore......
    c.r.a.f.t.... Lol

^ Help out the stupid and obtuse among us (me) who don't quite get this acronym, speedy.
    Can't
    Read
    And
    F******
    Tie the Teasers at the same time???

Or is it something else?
    Sorry, bro, I'm a little dense today...

Can't Remember A F****** Thing is what I meant by C.R.A.F.T.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Oh, I see, closely related to the C.R.S Syndrome common once ya hit 40.