Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackeral A-40

I don't want to spot burn so lets just say the south shore of Long Island NY is where I fish from RM to Mtk.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Default Re: Mackeral A-40

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    You guys really know a lot about the history of plugs, what an education. Thanks for helping some of the rest of us who don't know. I wondered if I could ask a stupid question. When you are fishing those big metal lips surfstix, I know you are supposed to fish them slow. Is there ever a time when you want to fish them fast? How about fast water vs calmness, what do you do differently? or should you really fish them in fast water at all, thanks for the help.
    Hi Porgy75,

in calm water a swimmer is a good choice because it moves water,makes a wake and also noise.
    I fish mostly rivers and there is lots of current during the moon and new moon.
    the lures I make are suited to this and will perform in both situations,,mind you some I bulid don't do some things well.I have some that are great on top but,suck at subsurface.
    then there are some that do both great and they can be used in either environment.
    weighting is important too as half of what i have made so far don't have any weight at all then some do have weight.I simply use a 1/4 oz splitshot as weight and it has worked out great.
    in some of the cases of my very large plugs[12 inchers] I have added 2 weights,one more near the front and one more towards the tail with both kinda in the center section of the plug if you divide it into 3 sections,the center section will have the weight roughly 3-4 inches apart so it gets a 50/50 amount of weight for the front and the back.

I don't pretend to be a professional at making lures but,my way has worked out very well for me and the guys that fish my lures.
    so,I am doing it the way I like and coming up with some very original designs.
    see?

R-PClick image for larger version. 

Name:	angler pix 790.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	15451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angler pix 664.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	15452
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

If you would have fished that plug today it would have ended up as a bloody toothpic surfstix. Nice work surfstix and ripplugger

very nice ...I love the Mackeral pattern

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12