Thread: JCAA claims striped bass are NOT overfished or down in numbers...

Thumbs down JCAA claims striped bass are NOT overfished or down in numbers...

Sent in by Finchaser, thanks.

ASMFS Striped Bass Board Delays Action
    on Addendum to Striped Bass Plan
    On Monday, August 1st the Atlantic States Striped Bass Board decided to postpone action on an addendum to the Striped Bass Management Plan. There were only two states opposed to this postponement. No action if any will be taken on this addendum until the November ASMFC Annual Meeting.

If this addendum had been put in place, there would have been public hearings on a draft addendum that could have reduced the harvest of striped bass by up to 40%. By delaying the implementation, we will have the information from the turnkey stock assessment that will be completed in September. With this new information, ASMFC will review the stock assessment and determine if any action is warranted.

Tom Fote, New Jersey's Governor's Appointee, pointed out that over the years we have frequently jumped the gun and proposed addendums that have later been proven unnecessary. The best example is the 1999 addendum that called for a reduction of catch in the older year classes of striped bass. New Jersey's legislature passed legislation to change the regulations to comply. The fishermen in New Jersey liked the new regulations which created a slot fish. Two years later ASMFC decided there was no problem with older year classes and forced New Jersey to change the regulation with new legislation. This did not make our Governor or our Legislature happy.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Marine Fisheries Service along with all but two of the states agreed that decisions should be made on latest science available. This means a delay until appropriate and reliable science proves the need for action.

The ASMFC included a statement in their draft document that justified the option of the reducing the striped bass catch on their interpretation of data suggesting that recruitment of the juvenile index in the spawning areas were down. Commissioner Fote pointed out that a table on page 14 indicated that in 2007 the Hudson River stocks had the highest juvenile index on record. In 2009 the Delaware River stocks had the third highest juvenile index on record. This data also shows that in the preceding years we have been above the average in both the Hudson and Delaware River. These charts also point out that the Maryland's JAI is close to average and Virginia's JAI is above average.

Below is information from the ASMFC draft addendum. This information shows that we are well below the targets that would require an addendum. It also indicates when new data will be available.

The SCA model estimated the 2008 fishing mortality rate on age 8-11 fish as F=0.21, which is well below the fishing mortality threshold and target levels of 0.34 and 0.30, respectively. Based on the proportion of total removals by recreational and commercial sectors in 2008, the F for age 8+ fish from the recreational fishery is 0.18 and from the commercial fishery is 0.03. Similarly, the F for ages 3-8 striped bass is 0.16 from the recreational fishery and 0.06 from the commercial fishery. Tag-based estimates of fishing mortality for striped bass 28 inches and greater along the coast and in the Hudson River, Delaware Bay, and Chesapeake Bay are all 0.20 or less in 2008. The next stock assessment update will be presented to the Striped Bass Management Board in November 2011. A benchmark assessment is scheduled for 2013.

Figure 3. Estimated female spawning stock biomass (SSB), total abundance, and recruitment (age-1 abundance) of striped bass, from the 2009 statistical catch-at-age model. Source: ASMFC 2009 Striped Bass Stock Assessment Update.
    7 See the 2009 Stock Assessment for Atlantic Striped Bass (ASMFC, 2009, Washington, DC, 281 p.), available by clicking here.

Jersey Coast Anglers Association has been relentless in requiring the use of reliable science to make fisheries management decisions. Black sea bass and scup, which are recovered and not overfished and overfishing is not taking place, have been held to quotas that treat these species as though they are overfished, overfishing is taking place and are not recovered. Striped bass had one of the best data sets of any species on the Atlantic Coast. We need to make sure decisions for striped bass are made on the benchmark stock assessment and not on the whim of the managers.

Jersey Coast has been concerned about the harvest of the forage species and the water quality in the Chesapeake Bay. According to the study below, the problem continues and the disease is spreading to a large majority of the Chesapeake. Some of the research is concluding the reason the fish are so susceptible is there is not enough forage to keep them healthy. The underlying problem is we are fishing down the food chain and need to address this. The statement below

Additionally, research indicates that non-fishing mortality in Chesapeake Bay striped bass has increased significantly since 1999 (Jiang et al. 2007). Draft Document for Board Review. Mycobacteriosis, a bacterial disease currently infecting greater than 50% of the resident Chesapeake Bay striped bass, is associated with this increased mortality.

Jersey Coast Anglers Association supports the action of the Board to wait until we have an updated stock assessment. JCAA believes that we should wait until the Benchmark Assessment since that will be a peer review. This would give the Atlantic States Striped Bass Board the best science to make an informed decision on how to manage the striped bass stock. JCAA is truly concerned about the fishing down of the forage species. Part of the concern of the health of the Chesapeake striped bass stock is the lack of menhaden in the bay. The ASMFC needs to address the ecosystem problem dealing with forage species and the stocks that depend on healthy stocks of all forage species.

They talk about the water quality in the Chesapeake, and say they are concerned about the lack of menhaden in the bay. These, among some other points they make, just blow my mind.

I don't know how anglers, who fish frequently, could come out and make statements like this.

There are plenty of bunker relative to the biomass of striped bass and other predators. They were off our NJ shores for 3 months, schools of thousands. They are still off the S shore of LI, schools of thousands of them. They are still in the LI sound, schools of thousands at a time, but have recently moved into deeper water.
    If it is the case that the bunker are numbers are down... then one must carefully consider that the bass numbers are down, because in many instances the bunker I described above had no bass pursuing them. In previous years before the striped bass population declined you could find predators aggressively feeding on these schools. Now, many lament that they can't, even when the temperature and other conditions are optimal.
    Many anglers who have a lifetime of saltwater fishing experience have stated that their striped bass catches are down.

They are seeing less numbers, and less breadth in their catches, which tells them we have huge gaps in certain year classes.

The ASMFC findings have been clear and compelling, that the recreational catches over the last 3 years have been trending down, and YOY studies in the Chesapeake confirm this as well.

So why is the JCAA taking this position?
    I can't help but wonder what or who is behind them influencing their official statements, because to most fishermen I know who fish the majority of fishing days during the season, what the JCAA is claiming just makes no sense.

I feel badly about that, because I've met several members of the JCAA and was always impressed by their passion and committment.

However, I feel in this case, their passion and committment is mis-directed.

For now, I don't want to condemn them for this move which I feel is not leaning toward the future conservation of a resource that a lot of us see dwindling.

I feel I need to study this issue more carefully and will try to come back with more comments once I have.

If any of you folks have an opinion you want to share, feel free. We may have to draft a carefully worded letter on this one, and send to Tom Fote. Inaction will get us nowhere.

I have seen the decline with my own eyes, and am now fishing in several states just to get the quality of fish that I was getting before in NJ consistently.

.For now, the fairest statement I can make is that I strongly disagree with their statements and assessment. Feel free to add your comments, folks.

Sure the numbers are down, in the spring the hot tip in nj is to follow the bunker schools for the bass. What about fishing the old fashioned way fishing the inlets and beaches? How come you cant get fish at night when they are on bunker, I'll tell you the answer, because every single stinking fish in the surf chases those bunker and there is nothing left for us guys who want to fish for them another way,

^^I'll second that, I am having a very bad year so far. It seems the fish just vanished. Whether there are less of them or not I haven't been fishing long enough to tell but I wondered where all the small bass went? In 2008 when I started fishing more times you could catch them from the surf on bait at night, and now it is like they all packed up and went to afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Tom Fote, New Jersey's Governor's Appointee, pointed out that over the years we have frequently jumped the gun and proposed addendums that have later been proven unnecessary.
    This time it looks like it might be necessary. All his posturing does is push back bitiing the bullet by another year, to 2012. Bad move on his part.

Tom Fote is incompetent. That is all I will say about that. He should be removed from his ASMFC position and replaced with someone who is more in tune with what is actually happening out there.

Who is this guy Tom fote? Maybe he is one of those ivory league scientists with the white coats. Who knows if he even fishes?

I was upset when Finchaser first mentioned this in the spring. I thought the reduction should gave been put place immediately back then. This just disgusts me more.
    Does anyone know what the RFA's position on this is?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Forte is an a$$hole he never even asked the fishing clubs for there opinion like he is suppose to since he supposedly represents us all
    He stated the lack of weakfish is not from over fishing but from sharks and bluefish eating them
    He was against the free registry and then when it passed it was all because of him
    He was against the extended fluke season
    He says there are tons of bass more than ever based on YOY index from the Delaware River which was never counted
    He is in favor of the bonus tag
    He never supported the SSFFF properly in the battle against NMFA to keeping fluke fishing open

IMO he is incompetent and a self proclaimed authority who is worse than some of the self proclaimed guides who now that they can't snag and drop can't catch a fish, you don't even hear from them.

I gave Rich a DVD from when Tom was on a TV show telling his tales about the bass ,fluke and weakfish.

As one of the founding members of JCAA which started with meeting in the Spring Lake library I must admit he is a disgrace and is even banned from an ex JCAA president's and founders shop for his stupidity on fishing issues.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Well then maybe someone is influencing him behind the scenes. The assessment darkskies posted looks like it was drafted by a lawyer. I can tell you that it was a lot easier to catch bass 3 years ago. I know that the numbers are down, my log books show it. I do not need a fancy scientific assessment to tell me that. I am afraid to say some of the indicators we had before the last moratorium (fish highly concentrated in specific areas, larger numbers of fish over 30lbs, lesser numbers of fish under 30lbs,) are all coming to the surface in the past few years.
    Why would a leader of a group that purports to represent fishermen not ask for their opinions? I think Monty was asking about the RFAs position on this. Finchaser do you know if they RFA has posted an official response to this yet? I am sure they will post one soon, as these 2 groups don't always see eye to eye.

Just on the meeting pertaining to stopping Omega from taking bunker in Ches bay. Also Omega is the only company involved with fish management thatneed to show a profit for there share holders which causes them to over fish every year

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I don't know how anglers, who fish frequently, could come out and make statements like this. The ASMFC findings have been clear and compelling, that the recreational catches over the last 3 years have been trending down, and YOY studies in the Chesapeake confirm this as well.

So why is the JCAA taking this position?
    I can't help but wonder what or who is behind them influencing their official statements, because to most fishermen I know who fish the majority of fishing days during the season, what the JCAA is claiming just makes no sense.
    The way politics works dark, is that when you see a group that sways a certain way, you can be assured they do that because they have been promised something. Color me suspicious but that is what I think.

Jersey Coast Anglers Association supports the action of the Board to wait until we have an updated stock assessment. JCAA believes that we should wait until the Benchmark Assessment since that will be a peer review. This would give the Atlantic States Striped Bass Board the best science to make an informed decision on how to manage the striped bass stock. JCAA is truly concerned about the fishing down of the forage species..
    Let me get this straight. They are concerned about the forage species but feel the striped bass are not overfished. These guys must not have much experience as fishermen. Before you worry about an egg, you need a chicken to create it.

Instead of complaining about asmfc you all should look at these folks. The statements make them look like they are against fishermen and for the commercials.