Thread: Mavericks

Default Mavericks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	13861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	13863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	13862
    This is one of my favorite lures … I love the ways it swims. I don’t ever throw it any more I don’t want to lose it until I can make my own and have it swim like the original.
    The one with the pink hooks is the original and the others are my version. They don't swim exactly like the original, but I haven’t given up yet.
    I tried to making one without the lip and the other ended up to small. They all have their own style of “movement” in the water.
    They will make great blue fish plugs at least.

Did you try making a lexan lip for them yourself you would have to notch it in and epoxy over it.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I believe the Gary2 sidekick was designed after the maverick you probably can't find either though unless you have deep pockets or a friend with an x-ray machine so you can see the internals of the maverick w/o destroying it.Was the maverick a foam core plug I can't remember.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

They do have some great action, madcaster. A few of them are still around. I've seen Fin pull one out and throw it when the bite is slow. A good angler has to be ready to change things up. That's one of the things about using mavericks, they find fish when they are scattered. Good choice.

Some other good presentations that do that when the fish are scattered are the Rapala x-rap and other smaller swimmers with rattles in them.

Sometimes the good old chrome/blue back rattle trap gets them going I used them for weakies when the snappers are around early a.m. or at night the fluke love them too if you can get it to hug just above the bottom.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Dude, Mavericks? Havent seen them in a long time, awesome!

I guess it's not just big wood that catches then. Good stuff.