Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World record striper: New world record striper caught in CT 8-5-11

Default World record striper: New world record striper caught in CT 8-5-11

I just read this and don't know if it is official, maybe. What a fish if true!!
    weighed in at Jack's Shoreline bait and tackle.

"An 81.6 pound slob was taken in Connecticut waters this morning on a live eel. This fish was believed to have been taken on the Southwest reef by a fellow named Al Stromski. The fish was weighed in at Jack's Shoreline Bait and Tackle in Westbrook Ct "

Default Breaking News: Possible New All-Tackle World-Record Striped Bass Falls in CT

You are correct albie, its official. The guy who caught it is Greg Myerson.
    81.88 lbs, wow!

Breaking News: Possible New All-Tackle World-Record Striped Bass Falls in CT

August 05, 2011
    Breaking News: Possible New All-Tackle World-Record Striped Bass Falls in CT (Keep Clicking for Updates!)
    By Joe Cermele

Though details are still slowly getting pieced together, the striper world has been turned upside down over the last few hours with Internet reports of an 81.88-pound striped bass taken in Connecticut waters. Though it's not clear yet if this is a surf fish or boat fish, caught on live eel or live porgy, angler Al Stromski Greg Myerson may have just landed what I'd argue is the most coveted saltwater fish record.

Al McReynolds' 78.8-pound record, caught in Atlantic City, NJ, has stood since 1982. Though many anglers have come close to that mark, it has yet to be topped. Over the years, there have also been a large amount of hoax record catches, though this time, it would seem, evidence is mounting that Stromski has legitmately toppled a record thousands have dreamed of crushing. Actually, I just got word that Stromski Myerson quickly weighed the fish and fled the scene at the tackle shop, so there is still a slight element of shadiness here. Head over to Gofishn.com for another photo and a little more of the story. We'll keep you posted as we get more information.

*Here's another quick update from a credible source. Mr. Stromski Myerson is apparently being so hounded he's had a panic attack. The fish is supposedly on ice in his truck, which is parked at the hospital where he's in the ER. Still not knowing how legit this catch is, it just goes to show you how powerful this fish is and how crazy people are about it.

*Now one of our sources says the angler is potentially Greg Myerson, not Al Stromski. This is exactly the kind of chaos I expected when this day finally came.
    *Confirmed: Greg Myerson is the angler, and we've tracked down his phone number. Stay tuned.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-bass-falls-ct

What a fish laddie! Some pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81.88 lb world record ct striper 8-5-11 greg myersonB.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	13868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81.88 lb world record ct striper 8-5-11 greg myerson.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	13869

This fish is a true slob. I have read reports on several sites bashing Greg. He's on the stripercup leaderboard with a few large bass already. I think it's just jealousy, but this is what happens with a striped bass world record. Shame on the naysayers and critics.

Looks like he knows what he is doing. Let the haters hate. congrats to him!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdude71 View Post
    This fish is a true slob. I have read reports on several sites bashing Greg.
    Funiest one I have read so far - "No way that fish is 81lbs. Of course I have never even caught a 50, but that thing doesn't look that big, at least not near 81"

Umm, how big does it look you effing tool? 75? 78? 80?
    Bunch of morons.
    Congrats dude, you are the king for now.

woohoo that is a pure pig,lol bet it tastes like bacon grats to the dude that got her!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdude71 View Post
    I think it's just jealousy, but this is what happens with a striped bass world record. Shame on the naysayers and critics.

Already something happened, he decided not to pursue the IGFA certification

"Here’s the facts, reported to us by Connecticut-based OTW writer Kierran Broatch: This morning, Striper Cup angler Greg Myerson weighed in a striped bass that registered 81.88 pounds on the scale at Jack’s Shoreline in Westbrook, Connecticut – almost 12 hours after it had been landed Thursday evening aboard a boat in Long Island Sound.

If the fish had been properly documented, it could have been eligible for the world record. However, at the moment Myerson has decided to take the fish home and not pursue record certification.

Guess he doesn't want to go through the crap Al McReynolds went through I don't blame him.

Beautiful fish!

Quote Originally Posted by stripermania View Post
    Beautiful fish!
    Ditto. Wish it was Me who caught it.

nice fish.

butt ugly shirt.

What a beast! Congrads to the lucky guy!

81 lbs. Now that is a fish. Wish I caught it.

I cannot believe the amount of folks on internet sites bashing this young man and his fish. There are plenty of ways to take a picture that will add at least 10 or 15 lbs to a fish. The fish did look very red to me, but could have gotten that way sloshing around the boat for 7 or 8 hours. I would be interested in the length and girth measurements, there is a handy formula you can use to tell the approximate weight of the fish. The belly looked very full, possbly with bunker or porgy. I don't think we have the right to judge this young man until we have all the facts. I congratulate his efforts.

Ristori reporting it will not be submitted for IGFA certification

The internet has been alive today with news of a huge striped bass caught in Connecticut that appeared to wipe out the current world record of 78 1/2 pounds set by Albert McReynolds from an Atlantic City jetty on Sept. 21, 1982. Since I posted information about an 81.6-pound striper that was reported as being caught this morning on a live eel at Southwest Reef, and weighed at Shoreline Bait & Tackle in Westport, there has been additional information from Northeast Fishing News that the weight was actually 81.88 pounds -- but the angler actually caught it Thursday evening, and it wasn't weighed until almost 12 hours later. Furthermore, angler Greg Myerson (not the name originally reported) took the bass home and isn't submitting it to the IGFA for a record. Shades of the N.J. fluke that didn't meet IGFA requirements, it appears there was something about the catch that wasn't going to pass muster with the IGFA. That catch still appears to be the largest striper ever caught on rod and reel. I'll update this situation as new info becomes available

I wonder what they put in the belly, 81lbs it's hard to believe.

No comment on keeping it record or not just don't ask where the small bass are anymore.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Already something happened, he decided not to pursue the IGFA certification

"Here’s the facts, reported to us by Connecticut-based OTW writer Kierran Broatch: This morning, Striper Cup angler Greg Myerson weighed in a striped bass that registered 81.88 pounds on the scale at Jack’s Shoreline in Westbrook, Connecticut – almost 12 hours after it had been landed Thursday evening aboard a boat in Long Island Sound.

If the fish had been properly documented, it could have been eligible for the world record. However, at the moment Myerson has decided to take the fish home and not pursue record certification.

Guess he doesn't want to go through the crap Al McReynolds went through I don't blame him.
    That's because many people don't believe Al caught his fish, as the day before a fish nearly the same size that was netted was purchased at the old Fulton fish market in NY . To a guy who matched McReynolds description when his picture was in the paper. Also there were many conflicting stories as to what and how he caught it. His friend from the first story, who supposedly gaffed it denied it. If this guy really caught it legitimately and legally would have no problem, but there is rumor he was in federal waters a no no

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    If this guy really caught it legitimately and legally would have no problem, but there is rumor he was in federal waters a no no
    I guess he can still pursue the record if he changes his mind in the next week. I read somewhere that it was weighed on a certified scale. I think the next step would be to submit the last 50' of the line he used, and perhaps some kind of witness. I do agree with you finchaser. If he was fishing in federal waters, maybe he doesn't want to put his witness through the scrutiny. Either way its a fanstatic catch. I would be proud if I caught it. Like I read here I don't think it's right to judge the size as many pictures can present the fish differently. Clamchucker I think, said the length and girth measurements would be more evidence, as that fish looked like it had a huge gut to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast