Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World record striper: New world record striper caught in CT 8-5-11

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    as that fish looked like it had a huge gut to me.
    Steady diet of big porgies. They are all over that reef where it was allegedly caught.

Yessir that reef is infested with porgies, and possible world record bass.

I think the recent pics posted here put the size of that bass in a little different light.

Lots of questions about whether he caught it in federal waters or not, and whether it was a net/commercial fish. Here is one of the most carefully thought out responses to that, posted on the internet. I thought it made a lot of sense to me:

"If the guy fishes from a tin boat, he caught the fish inshore. He's not running out to federal waters south of the Block to poach in the EEZ in a #^&#^&#^&#^&ing tin boat. The redness on the fish is pretty normal. The fish lays in a box, and the blood pools in the low points of the body where it comes into contact with the box. It's what's called post-mortem lividity, and it's perfectly normal---it's not net rash. I have quite a few pictures of bass less than half that size with the same redness. There's nothing suspicious in my mind at this point. OTW did everyone an extreme dis-service yesterday by spreading some wild rumors, IMO.

As far as the 54" thing goes---anyone want to take a stab at the length of McReynolds' fish? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up--it was 53-1/2" long, but it had something like a 35" girth.
    Actually, using the time honored seat of the pants estimator, length times girth squared dividied by 800, a 54" fish with a 35" girth would weigh........82.6875 pounds. "

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    As far as the 54" thing goes---anyone want to take a stab at the length of McReynolds' fish? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up--it was 53-1/2" long, but it had something like a 35" girth.
    Actually, using the time honored seat of the pants estimator, length times girth squared dividied by 800, a 54" fish with a 35" girth would weigh........82.6875 pounds. "
    Very good point, Al's record fish was around 53 3/4". The girth measurement of 35" would definitely make this weight possible. I don't know if this guy is legit or not, but the suspicious comments I have heard about everything from the colors of the shirts he was wearing when the pics were taken, to the false comments by the gay people on facebook that he had a panic attack and had to go the the hospital? I mean, who else but a lunatic would post up a false rumor that him getting his ribs looked at by a DR was in reality a checkup for a cracked rib and not a panic attack?
    Too much drama on the internet today and too many haters out there. If I ever was lucky enough to catch a fish that big I don't know if I would go for the glory.
    And people are making out Al Mcreynolds out to be a saint in all of this. There were reports that the day before a guy resembling Al bought a fish in the Commercial NY fish market. The story of Al catching the fish in a howling wind using a rebel seems impossible to me. Has anyone ever tried to throw a rebel in heavy wind? It's almost impossible unless the wind was at your back, and they said that was a noreaster Al was fishing in. So question this guy all you want, I won't untuil the evidence comes in stating the contrary.

I bring up the things about Al not to take away from his catch, but to let people know that with any record there will always be jealousy and mean-spiritedness. That is the nature of fishermen, many of us secretly hate each other, and that's just stupid. So to be clear, I was not there when Al nor this Myerson caught his fish.
    Who am I to judge? Congrats on a great catch!

Lots of jabs at this fellow who caught it. Of all the ones criticizing, how many have caught bass close to 81lbs to compare it to? Congratulations on an outstanding fish. Good luck with the IGFA certification if he decides to pursue it.

I take alot fish pictures, Ive had quite few published in all the magazines , not bragging just saying I been to the rodeo a few times.

The amount of pictures I dont use and dont save is very high, I have taken 30 lb bass and 13lb weakfish that come out looking half their size.

Angles and camera skill can play a big part in how big a fish looks.

The one thing im certain of is if you catch a Nice Fish and it makes it to the Internet you will come under fire.

In an interview, Al McReynolds was asked, "If you could go back and do anything differantly, what would you do?"

Al's response?

"I would cut the ******* line"

There are way too many people out there that will doubt any story told. You could have the Pope, and Jesus himself in the boat with you, make no mistakes, weigh it on 7 certified scales, have 4 people taking video from hook up to landing, with 750 pictures taken with tape measures in every one of them, and there will still be people making your life miserable, doubting or out right accusing you of lying.
    Its just the way it is with jealousy, especially amongst fisherman.
    I have a released fish I have very seldom talked about, only a very few have ever heard me speak of it, and still when someone was told second hand I get my balls busted by some I have never even met.
    Its just the way it goes............................

He is going for the IGFA cert according to this article

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:05 am | Updated: 12:25 am, Wed Aug 10, 2011.
    By MIKE SHEPHERD, For The Press pressofAtlanticCity.com
    Greg Myerson said Tuesday he's sorry to take the world-record striped bass from Atlantic City, but he is happy to have it in Westbrook, Conn.Myerson caught an 81.88-pound striped bass last Thursday in the Long Island Sound that beats the existing record of 78 pounds, 8 ounces set by former Atlantic City resident Albert McReynolds on Sept. 21, 1982.McReynolds, who caught his bass while fishing from an Atlantic City jetty, gave Myerson his congratulations, and some advice."I talked to him about five times," Myerson said. "He's been treating me with nothing but respect. He told me to lay low for a couple of days. Just enjoy it."Myerson said McReynolds, who now lives in Naples, Fla., also advised him not to worry about what everybody says."He probably is the only person who knows what I was going through," Myerson said.He said that he's been getting about a 100 calls a day "easy" about the fish. On Tuesday, he did an interview with The Fisherman magazine, which is putting his story on the front page. And he is setting up another interview for today with Coastal Angler magazine.He spent another part of Tuesday filling out all the paperwork to certify the fish and the world record with the International Game Fish Association.However, the demands on his time have not cut into his fishing. But that's mainly because the weather in Connecticut has been "crummy," he said."Everyone has been pretty cool," Myerson said. "Nothing has changed. I'm just going to keep on fishing."He was headed out Tuesday night.McReynolds said Tuesday that he gave Myerson a couple of tips based on his experience in 1982. According to an article in The Press in 2008, McReynolds referred to his catch as the "night he caught the devil."He caught the fish during a rain storm, battling 25-knot winds and crashing waves off the jetty. He spent years defending the catch from others who claimed he caught it with a net instead of a rod and reel. He said he even received hate mail.
    Two days after Myerson's catch, McReynolds called The Press to say that he was considering legal action for fraud. But when reached on Tuesday, the 64-year-old said that Myerson deserves the honor of the new world record because Myerson is a real fisherman who earned it.McReynolds said it is not about the money or honors, but about the joy of fishing. That was his biggest advice for Myerson - just do whatever makes him happy."Keep fishing, get out of the house, stay focused on fishing," McReynolds said Tuesday.Myerson said he took the advice. The only problem was that when he went out to his world-record fishing spot on the eastern end of Long Island, "It was like a parking lot ... I didn't go near my spot."Myerson is a 43-year-old union electrician who lives in North Branford, Conn. He fishes just about every night he can.He has a spot he likes with big underwater rocks. He says fishing is the best there near slack tide at high water at night or evening, and the moon has got to be high in the sky. He says it's always like that when he catches the big ones.The night he caught the world-record contender, Myerson said fishing partner Matt Farina caught a 48-pounder. He said the wind has to be right, too. That night, the wind came up and the fish were moving.He weighed the fish last Friday morning at Jack's Shoreline Bait and Tackle in Westbrook. He weighed it on the boat with a digital scale and it was 82 pounds, which prompted him to call ahead when they were coming back.By the time they arrived, the word had spread and a crowd was there to witness local history.He was competing in the On The Water magazine's Striper Cup tournament when he caught the super-heavyweight. He was the On The Water angler of the year last year with three bass that weighed more than 60 pounds.Jack Vitek, records coordinator for the IGFA, said Tuesday that the record could be confirmed as early as 60 days from the catch date, Aug. 4.

Default Re: World record striper: New world record striper caught in CT 8-5-11

Myerson does it again woo hoo!

Greg Myerson Challenges Own World Record with 73.75lb Striper
    July 11, 2013 by On The Water

Greg Myerson has nearly done it again. Last night, Greg headed out with his cousin on Long Island Sound and landed a monster 73.75-pound Striper to take 1st place in the Striper of the Year, this week’s Boat Division and July’s Boat Division categories. This catch was just 8-pounds shy of his 81.88-pound world record striper caught in 2011. Here’s his own account of this amazing catch:

“I was out with my cousin Mike Emmerich testing some soon-to-be patented bucktails with rattles and stinger hooks that Fish Call Co. is coming out with, a new company owned by myself and Guidessecret Tackle owner Capt. Frank Crescitelli. My cousin talked me into fishing on his boat, which I never do because I feel naked without my instruments and spots to refer to. We were three waying 1 1/4 ounce rattle bucktails with rattling sinkers. Mike hooked a good fish and was fighting it, so I went to reel up and get the net when I got slammed by this monster bass. The fish ran almost 200 yards and was spooling me. My stomach turned when I felt the knot that held my new Cortland 50lb camo braid to the backing slide under my thumb and ting on every eyelet on my Lamiglas rod that I just designed for them. Mike got his fish in alone and then said what do you want me to do for you? I yelled to the 2 boats next to us to tell them my fish was under their boats so they reeled up. We started the boat and ran down the fish. Great night!”

Congratulations to Greg on this great catch, we look forward to hearing more about it.
    Remember, each week in the Striper Cup is it’s own tournament with tons of weekly prizes on the line and while it looks like Greg has locked up this week’s Boat division winner, there’s another chance to win starting each Sunday. If you’re still interested in participating in this year’s Striper Cup and haven’t signed up yet, it’s not too late: Click here to sign up today.

http://www.onthewater.com/greg-myers...-75lb-striper/

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Myerson does it again woo hoo!

. Mike hooked a good fish and was fighting it, so I went to reel up and get the net when I got slammed by this monster bass. The fish ran almost 200 yards and was spooling me. My stomach turned when I felt the knot that held my new Cortland 50lb camo braid to the backing slide under my thumb and ting on every eyelet on my Lamiglas rod that I just designed for them.
    Theew comes a moment in every fishermans life when the fish on the end will be your personal best or the one that got away. I think he came pretty close to that here. Great story enjoyed it. Congrats Greg on consistently getting the big ones.

Well at least this will shut the haters up. He now has several large under his belt. Good job Greg.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12