Thread: World record striper: New world record striper caught in CT 8-5-11

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdude71 View Post
    I think it's just jealousy, but this is what happens with a striped bass world record. Shame on the naysayers and critics.

Already something happened, he decided not to pursue the IGFA certification

"Here’s the facts, reported to us by Connecticut-based OTW writer Kierran Broatch: This morning, Striper Cup angler Greg Myerson weighed in a striped bass that registered 81.88 pounds on the scale at Jack’s Shoreline in Westbrook, Connecticut – almost 12 hours after it had been landed Thursday evening aboard a boat in Long Island Sound.

If the fish had been properly documented, it could have been eligible for the world record. However, at the moment Myerson has decided to take the fish home and not pursue record certification.

Guess he doesn't want to go through the crap Al McReynolds went through I don't blame him.

Beautiful fish!

Quote Originally Posted by stripermania View Post
    Beautiful fish!
    Ditto. Wish it was Me who caught it.

nice fish.

butt ugly shirt.

What a beast! Congrads to the lucky guy!

81 lbs. Now that is a fish. Wish I caught it.

I cannot believe the amount of folks on internet sites bashing this young man and his fish. There are plenty of ways to take a picture that will add at least 10 or 15 lbs to a fish. The fish did look very red to me, but could have gotten that way sloshing around the boat for 7 or 8 hours. I would be interested in the length and girth measurements, there is a handy formula you can use to tell the approximate weight of the fish. The belly looked very full, possbly with bunker or porgy. I don't think we have the right to judge this young man until we have all the facts. I congratulate his efforts.

Ristori reporting it will not be submitted for IGFA certification

The internet has been alive today with news of a huge striped bass caught in Connecticut that appeared to wipe out the current world record of 78 1/2 pounds set by Albert McReynolds from an Atlantic City jetty on Sept. 21, 1982. Since I posted information about an 81.6-pound striper that was reported as being caught this morning on a live eel at Southwest Reef, and weighed at Shoreline Bait & Tackle in Westport, there has been additional information from Northeast Fishing News that the weight was actually 81.88 pounds -- but the angler actually caught it Thursday evening, and it wasn't weighed until almost 12 hours later. Furthermore, angler Greg Myerson (not the name originally reported) took the bass home and isn't submitting it to the IGFA for a record. Shades of the N.J. fluke that didn't meet IGFA requirements, it appears there was something about the catch that wasn't going to pass muster with the IGFA. That catch still appears to be the largest striper ever caught on rod and reel. I'll update this situation as new info becomes available

I wonder what they put in the belly, 81lbs it's hard to believe.

No comment on keeping it record or not just don't ask where the small bass are anymore.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Already something happened, he decided not to pursue the IGFA certification

"Here’s the facts, reported to us by Connecticut-based OTW writer Kierran Broatch: This morning, Striper Cup angler Greg Myerson weighed in a striped bass that registered 81.88 pounds on the scale at Jack’s Shoreline in Westbrook, Connecticut – almost 12 hours after it had been landed Thursday evening aboard a boat in Long Island Sound.

If the fish had been properly documented, it could have been eligible for the world record. However, at the moment Myerson has decided to take the fish home and not pursue record certification.

Guess he doesn't want to go through the crap Al McReynolds went through I don't blame him.
    That's because many people don't believe Al caught his fish, as the day before a fish nearly the same size that was netted was purchased at the old Fulton fish market in NY . To a guy who matched McReynolds description when his picture was in the paper. Also there were many conflicting stories as to what and how he caught it. His friend from the first story, who supposedly gaffed it denied it. If this guy really caught it legitimately and legally would have no problem, but there is rumor he was in federal waters a no no

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    If this guy really caught it legitimately and legally would have no problem, but there is rumor he was in federal waters a no no
    I guess he can still pursue the record if he changes his mind in the next week. I read somewhere that it was weighed on a certified scale. I think the next step would be to submit the last 50' of the line he used, and perhaps some kind of witness. I do agree with you finchaser. If he was fishing in federal waters, maybe he doesn't want to put his witness through the scrutiny. Either way its a fanstatic catch. I would be proud if I caught it. Like I read here I don't think it's right to judge the size as many pictures can present the fish differently. Clamchucker I think, said the length and girth measurements would be more evidence, as that fish looked like it had a huge gut to me.

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    as that fish looked like it had a huge gut to me.
    Steady diet of big porgies. They are all over that reef where it was allegedly caught.

Yessir that reef is infested with porgies, and possible world record bass.

I think the recent pics posted here put the size of that bass in a little different light.

Lots of questions about whether he caught it in federal waters or not, and whether it was a net/commercial fish. Here is one of the most carefully thought out responses to that, posted on the internet. I thought it made a lot of sense to me:

"If the guy fishes from a tin boat, he caught the fish inshore. He's not running out to federal waters south of the Block to poach in the EEZ in a #^&#^&#^&#^&ing tin boat. The redness on the fish is pretty normal. The fish lays in a box, and the blood pools in the low points of the body where it comes into contact with the box. It's what's called post-mortem lividity, and it's perfectly normal---it's not net rash. I have quite a few pictures of bass less than half that size with the same redness. There's nothing suspicious in my mind at this point. OTW did everyone an extreme dis-service yesterday by spreading some wild rumors, IMO.

As far as the 54" thing goes---anyone want to take a stab at the length of McReynolds' fish? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up--it was 53-1/2" long, but it had something like a 35" girth.
    Actually, using the time honored seat of the pants estimator, length times girth squared dividied by 800, a 54" fish with a 35" girth would weigh........82.6875 pounds. "