Thread: Homemade blue fish metals

Default Homemade blue fish metals

The grid is 1” square behind them

Nothing fancy about these rust and all ….they do have weight to them . I can throw them farther

The smaller ones I use for snappers. I have caught cocktailto monster on these metals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapper.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	13922

Whatever works is my motto.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Wow I guess you are pretty big on reflective tape, madcaster! How long does it hold up and if you don't mind my asking were do you get it? Also do you make those metals from a lead mold? I have heard of sinker molds but never heard of ones that small. Nice work.

Totally matches the profile of the bait that is around now, niice! Love the peanut ones.

Pretty slick there, dude. Whats the biggest gorilla you ever got on one of them?

It beats spending 7.99 on deadly ***** and some of the high end tins out there. Why feed expensive metal to bluefish?

These are made of ¼ x 1”and smaller steel bar stock scraps Ihad laying around. The tape is from a auto parts store. It holds up pretty well. Just gives it a flash in the water. I’ve caught some big blues on them; I pull them out when the blues are in blitzing mode or in thick in the spring. It doesn’t take much to lure them in. I ever caught a 24”red drum on one in OBX last year.

Name:	18539_1177253720655_1507476558_30442028_1675614_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	13933

My buddy was throwing a bunch of junk away and there was a old set of spoon and forks. I took all the spoons and made some nice “spoons “out of them. I add some lead for weight.My biggest blue was caught on one of these. 15lbs I lady took a pic of me holding it, but she never posted it were she told me to look for it.

Name:	spoon.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	13934

I really like that spoon made out of a spoon, lol. How do you add the weight to it?

For the best action out of a spoon I would just add a egg sinker on a wire leader a couple of inches ahead of the spoon.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Why feed expensive metal to bluefish?
    Smart man! Nice work madcaster

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    I really like that spoon made out of a spoon, lol. How do you add the weight to it?
    I pour some lead in it...then epoxy it in.

Hey madcaster there is a ton of small bait around now I think mostly rainfish. Was wontering if you are still using these and if you have been successful with them?

I use them a lot ....100+ cocktail blues on these and some big blues ....in obx I walk the beach with a few in my pocket...I even hand them out ..telling guys to put that fancy lure back in your bag .....@ sand hook one day me and my buddy walk into a nice blitz ...I just got done making a batch of them ...with red tails ...caught on every cast ..two kids there had no plugs ...I gave them one each ....they started catching ...fun day

Hey madcaster just wondering if you were still catching blues in the back. I fished last night and didnt see a one. The guys I ran into said they hadnt seen any either.

^^^ There was a fleet of boats the last few days from the shrewsbury rocks to manasquan. Some guys at the dock said they are crushing big bluefish on avas from 1-5 miles out, still getting 20 pounders. They crushed the bass 20-40lb as well. Can't imagine that they are not in the surf already, Should be soon.

Mad caster that is awesome, being creative is half the fun. Catching on what you created is a awesome feeling.