Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak safety: Death in the Nissequogue 8-12-11

Great job DS, and your right it is sad that he is gone but maybe we have to make some different rules like not useing an inflatable kayak in a tidal river or surf, my .02.

Well done report. Wish we could tuen back the hands of time and bring officer Luca back. Condolences to the family.

Gosh this is such a sad story. I hope some good can come out of it, but as you fellas said, you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.

nasty looking rips

Good observation, Jon. That is the chief complaint of a lot of boaters going through that inlet. More than one person has complained that it should be dredged more often.

Rich, This is an area that I have fished with Bill a lot. An outgoing tide could be lethal in very little water due to the flow. The sandbars are constantly shifting. I lost another friend, a lone late night fisherman, when he apparently stepped off of a sand bar in a strong tide. Both instances a tragedy for a fine man and his family. Any one of us is a misstep away from tragedy. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Good observation, Jon. That is the chief complaint of a lot of boaters going through that inlet. More than one person has complained that it should be dredged more often.
    They were complaining pretty good when it was being dredged two years ago, Dark.

^^ I assume by that you mean that there are some foks who are never satisfied, Mick?
    Thanks for the perspective, I believe your BIL knows that river better than a lot of people. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. We lose too many people to outdoor tragedies each year.

This is a beautiful stretch of water but the tidal pull of the river causes drastic shifts in the bars. There are times when you can get fifty yards out but that can and does, change quickly. Most of the wade fisherman at night are well schooled but it is still easy to get in trouble. A PFD can be a life saver....worth carrying it around 1200 times for the one time you NEED it.

I cannot imagine the horror of being swept away thinking, "Dear God, not like this!" And it happens every year to at least one of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12