Thread: Kayak safety: Death in the Nissequogue 8-12-11

Hybrid View

Default Kayak safety: Death in the Nissequogue 8-12-11

I was there when it happened. I took a lot of shots of the rescue effort. I didn't see the kayak dump with the Dad and his kids or I would have dived in after them.

This is a very sad tragedy that has been all over the LI news.

I'll post the pics I took along with a narrative when I get a chance. In the meantime if anyone wants to post the news articles along with authoring links to the news sites, feel free.

My deepest condolences to this whole family and the group they came with.

T&P to the family, all it would have taken was a PFD IDK Rich my mind going in a hundred different directions right now.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

make sure that's not you, R.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    all it would have taken was a PFD IDK
    That is such a shame that something like this could have not happened if he was wearing a PFD. I think everyone should wear one. You never know when you might be tossed from a boat OR kayak.

I hate to say it but darwins theory of natural selection pops up in my mind. Why would you be in a kayak in a river with no life preserver? I don't know that river but take the Manasquan, Shrewsbury or Navesink. They are raging when the tide is high around the full moon. Every year someone dies in one of these rivers because they got in trouble and were not wearing a life preserver. I feel bad for the family, but the guy who died should have had more sense. Should he have paid for it with his life, maybe not.
    Bad things happen when you least expect them.

I don't agree totally with what you said fishenmission but the safety thing should be in everyones mind. Otherwise you could end up like this guy. And you are right about the rivers, every year someone drowns on the back side of sandy hook because they don't realize how strong the current is.

Default Rescuers scour Nissequogue River for missing kayaker - News 12

That was a very sad thing to hear about. My heart goes out to that family. That being said, they were on an inflatable and Dad definitely should have had a pfd. T&P to the family.

Some links to the press coverage so far.

Rescuers scour Nissequogue River for missing kayaker - News 12

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3dylCPcl9dQ4TQ

Suffolk County Police Fugitive/Missing Persons Section detectives are searching for a man that fell off of his kayak and into the water at Smithtown Bay, north of the Nissequogue River yesterday.
    Patrick Luca, 41, of Smithtown and his 5-year-old son launched an inflatable kayak at the boat ramp at the end of Old Dock Road in Kings Park by the Nissequogue River at approximately 1:30 p.m. Friday. At approximately 2:45 p.m., Good Samaritans on a boat found the 5-year-old boy floating in Smithtown Bay wearing his life-jacket north of the mouth of the river. The boaters pulled the boy out of the water but were unable to locate Luca. The child did not sustain any injuries and was released into the care of his mother. The kayak was later recovered. Luca is a member of the New York City Police Department.
    Suffolk County Police Marine Bureau officers, along with assistance from the U.S. Coast Guard and the New York City Police Department, are continuing to search for Luca.
    Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Fugitive/Missing Persons Section at 631-852-6040.