Thread: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

Hybrid View

Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.
    X2. I have to say this site is so classy about giving thanks and posting good words up. Just was on another site. The same stranded kayaker incident was described and the video was posted. I believe it was in raritan or one of the other northern bays. What struck me as bizarre is there were 6 pages of insults and bickering? ***? They were talking about a rescue and some dudes still wanted to argue. Jeesh!

Another one. Sad that he wasn't wearing a life jacket. rest in peace
    http://www.nj.com/mo..._authoriti.html

Every year it saddens me to read stories like this...
    We all make mistakes ...I have made many....lucky to be alive from some of the mistakes I have made....

I hope for continued dialogue and awareness for kayak safety out there...
    My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jairo Esquivel-Prendas...

Rip

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Every year it saddens me to read stories like this...
    We all make mistakes ...I have made many....lucky to be alive from some of the mistakes I have made....

I hope for continued dialogue and awareness for kayak safety out there...
    My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jairo Esquivel-Prendas...
    Very sad indeed, may he RIP. 37 is too young!

We left my marina around 8am right around where he drowned and there was a slight East wind but nothing crazy like later in the day.

Kudos to the Coast Guard, State Police and Keansburg police for a fast response. We heard on the radio the distress call and not long after they located his kayak. Had he been wearing a life vest they would have found him alive.

A $20 life vest would have easily prevented this tragedy.

Dont want to bash this guy or his family but I agree with Jbarbosa. If he had use a $20 life vest he prob would be alive today. I am not a kayaker but I think this should be followed in yaks and boats as well. I remember story about 3 years ago in NJ a dad and son were out on a party boat in the ocean and it was sporty. The son was jumping up and down with the swells and on a big one lost his footing and fell into the water. No life jacket and he drowned. Very sad for a dad to see his kid drown because of no life jacket. Be safe, not sorry.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Some more that drowned without life vests. They said they were experienced. Sad news.
    Mother, daughter kayakers drown in Delaware River
    http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d..._shore_article