Thread: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

Hybrid View

This guy got rescued last Tue. My friend was working there and saw the rescue. Glad to see he turned out all right. Be safe fellas.

A kayaker was rescued off of Port Monmouth after his boat capsized on Tuesday, authorities said.The man told authorities he was unable to swim to shore because of a severe leg cramp and used his cell phone to call 9-1-1, according to the United States Coast Guard.
    Coast Guard rescue crews from Sandy Hook responded and found the man, who was wearing a lifejacket, clinging to his kayak and threw him a heaving line, a news release said.
    ?It was a really good thing that he was wearing his lifejacket and stayed with his kayak, which was bright orange and a larger object for us to be able to locate,? Petty Officer 2nd Class David Snyder said in the release.
    The rescue crews determined the man did not need medical attention and took him to Atlantic Highlands, the release said.
    ?He had attempted to swim back to shore but got a sever leg cramp, so he was extraordinarily grateful once we got him onboard and made sure he was okay,? Snyder said.

@ surferman post- guys really should practice self rescue and group rescue techniques. Glad that one turned out ok

Here is one that almost didn't. thanks to iplayfair for the rescue assist.

Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.
    X2. I have to say this site is so classy about giving thanks and posting good words up. Just was on another site. The same stranded kayaker incident was described and the video was posted. I believe it was in raritan or one of the other northern bays. What struck me as bizarre is there were 6 pages of insults and bickering? ***? They were talking about a rescue and some dudes still wanted to argue. Jeesh!

Another one. Sad that he wasn't wearing a life jacket. rest in peace
    http://www.nj.com/mo..._authoriti.html

Every year it saddens me to read stories like this...
    We all make mistakes ...I have made many....lucky to be alive from some of the mistakes I have made....

I hope for continued dialogue and awareness for kayak safety out there...
    My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jairo Esquivel-Prendas...