Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

This is not a death, but maybe you want it in this thread, Dark. If not feel free to edit out.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...5057#post55057

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    This is not a death, but maybe you want it in this thread, Dark. If not feel free to edit out.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...5057#post55057

Nitestrikes, thanks, and good idea. We'll expand this thread to cover kayak deaths and accidents. In the long-run, I want people to be able to view this thread and see how compelling kayak safety is.

Here's one where MSG Dan aka Kayak Dan saved a guy who was trying to commit suicide last week at Monmouth Beach...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...Monmouth-Beach...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I'm hereby honored to present his story....

"I was just ready to launch and I noticed a mid 20's male loooking like he was ready to take a swim. He comes over to me and wants to know if I can take him to the dredging ship about 1/2 mile off shore. He telles me that he HAS to go to the ship. I told him my kayak can not take two people and he gets undressed and starts swimming out! I told him that he would die with the water temps but he was determined. As he enters the water, cops start rushing down to the water and start screaming at him to return, but he keeps swimming.

I already launched and was a couple hundred yards away when he starts screaming that he can't swim and he needs help. The cops on the beach are yelling at me to help him and I start to paddle over to him. As I approached him, I told him to just hold onto my kayak and DO NOT try to get on. I also told him that if he flips me, he would not have to worry about killing himself, that I would kill him!

He held onto the side of the kayak, and I paddled him in close enough so he would just have to make a few strokes and he would be able to walk into shore.

The cops were trying to thank me, but I had my sights on fish breaking water a few hundred yards south.

The latest....
    PORTSMOUTH, Va. — A 49-year-old man from Ambler, Pa., was rescued early Friday morning near Kiptopeke through a coordinated effort by the Virginia Marine Police and the Coast Guard.
    The man, who had been kayaking along the Eastern Shore, called 911 around midnight reporting that his kayak had capsized east of Kiptopeke.
    The 911 call was transferred to the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads Command Center watchstanders, who dispatched a 25-foot Response Boat – Small crew from Coast Guard Station Cape Charles along with an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C. Two Virginia Marine Police boatcrews also launched to search for the missing man.
    While fishing, a good Samaritan heard shouts from a man in the marsh and notified the Virginia Marine Police boatcrew, who then retrieved the man from the marsh and took him to a boat ramp where he was picked up by the Jayhawk crew. The Jayhawk aircrew transported the man to Norfolk Sentara Hospital, where he was treated for hypothermia.
    “The man was wearing a life jacket in this case, which bought precious time in the cold water for responders to get to him,” said Lt. Jack Smith, a public affairs officer at Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads. “This probably saved his life.”

Default Body of Missing Kayaker found in Rehoboth Bay

Be careful out there dark and crew!

Posted: Nov 07, 2011 1:48 PM EST Updated: Nov 22, 2011 3:52 PM EST
    By Kye Parsons -

DOVER, Del.- Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife Enforcement officials say the body of a kayaker reported missing over the weekend has been found in Rehoboth Bay.
    After a search by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company, fire company members recovered the body of 31-year-old Adam R. King of Rising Sun, Md. early Sunday morning.

A state medical examiner determined the cause of death to be hypothermia and drowning.

King had been reported missing Saturday evening. According to witnesses, he had taken the kayak out at around noon Saturday to go fishing in Rehoboth Bay. Officials said he was wearing a life jacket.

Thank you for that Shorelady. I have grandsons who kayak. One of them keeps talking about the great fishing at Kiptopeke. I have sent them a link to this thread.

Missing canoe out of Northport Harbor:

I found this on another site, dark. Hope they find him

PLEASE LISTEN:

ANYONE IN THE NORTHPORT/ CENTERPORT AREA WHO KNOWS FREDDIE, PLEASE CONTACT THE SHOP IF HE HAS BEEN PHYSICALLY SEEN THIS WEEK ANYWHERE.

FREDDIE WAS LAST SEEN PADDLING OUT IN HIS CANOE SEVERAL DAYS AGO INTO NORTHPORT HARBOR DURING THE SUNSET HOURS.

FREDDIE'S CANOE HAS BEEN FOUND EMPTY AND FLIPPED.

FREDDIE APPEARS TO BE IN HIS 60'S. HE HAS LONG GRAY HAIR AND WEARS A RED BANDANA MOST OF THE TIME. HE IS ABOUT 5'7" AND WEIGHS 160.

FREDDIE USUALLY FISHES EVERY DAY IN THE SCUDDER BEACH AREA AND ON HIS CANOE IN THE BACK OF NORTHPORT HARBOR BY BIRD ISLAND.

THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    . The death wish Kayak crew were 2 miles out many you couldn't see in the swell and chop,they are not going to be happy until someone gets killed and restrictions are put into effect.

I'm posting this here as a means to document it. I may know the guys who were in that area. For the record, the date was 4-4-12, and the general area was Bay Head.

When I get a chance, I'll try to post up on KFS and let them know.
    I'm not looking to anger or offend anyone with this statement, but it's important to put it out there.

Just to be clear, if you were the guys who were approx 2 miles out, yes it applies to you.. .if you weren't in that area, you're not the guys being referred to....

The way for us to all get along is to be aware if we're in a situation where our behavior or presence affects others, due to something we are doing.

Finchaser's complaint is a valid one.
    He further mentioned that with the big swell, it was hard to see some of the kayaks....

Does this mean someone out there is trying to tell a kayaker what to do?
    Absolutely not.....

But if youi're out there, and somone in a boat can't see you because of a huge swell, the potential danger to all involved should be recognized........

When the swells are 3', a kayak flag doesn't cut it....
    I'm not chastizing these guys as much as trying to prevent a disaster in the future...

I think that was Finchaser's intent as well...
    If he felt he could not see them ( they were bouncing down up and down among the swells) other boaters
    would possibly feel the same way......

I've been around long enough to know how these things sometimes play out....
    Boater doesn't see kayaker, hits him by accident and kayak is swamped..
    Kayaker narrowly escapes with his life, manages to get back to kayak, and limps in to shore.....'
    Or...the worst scenario....the yakker is hit, knocked unconscious....and drowns before rescue personnel can get to the area.......

Don't think it can't happen....
    or that it can't happen in NJ.....
    I was there in Nissequogue the day last summer that the Dad died taking his son out in an inflatable kayak...

If it does happen...
    the yakkers will say the boater was an idiot,...
    the boaters will band together and have meetings on why yakkers shouldn't be licensed and have to take some sort of safety course.....
    lawsuits will be filed....
    And at the end of this ugly rainbow,,,, possible new laws mandating all yakkers on the water need to pass a safety course and licensing exam.......

One Big Cluster Eff of Pain, Litigation, Arguing, and New Legislation......
    all because a few, didn't think of the consequences of their actions.....

As I get older and wiser, I'm trying less and less to start trouble

and more and more to prevent certain things from happening, before they get out of hand....
    It's a curse for me...

As I can see the potential of these things happening, when others clearly can't....
    And as long as I can see the potential of these things happening....I feel compelled to point it out, to posssibly prevent tragedy and the resulting loss of my freedom as a kayaker...

Thanks for reading, folks....

ds some recent ones I found -

http://www.pressherald.com

4/15/12 missing kayaker off S Maine beach dies

SACO, Maine—A 51-year-old kayaker who was reported missing near Saco Bay in southern Maine has died.

The Maine Sunday Telegram (http://bit.ly/ITHcvx) says the unidentified kayaker died at Maine Medical Center in Portland, where he was taken after he was found face-up in the water Saturday evening.

A Maine Marine Patrol aircraft found the man's kayak upright and empty about 150 feet off Higgins Beach. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter located him, but he was unresponsive. He was wearing a lifejacket and wetsuit.

The kayaker was transferred by Coast Guard boat crews to Maine Medical Center.

4/15//12

Father of 2 drowns in pond near des plains Chicago after being attacked on kayak by swan?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...r-des-plaines/
    Father Of Two Drowns In Pond Near Des Plaines

April 15, 2012 10:29 AM

Share this
    View Comments
    Anthony Hensley and his wife, Amy. (Credit: Facebook)

Filed under

Heard on WBBM 780, Local, News, Seen on CBS 2, Syndicated Local, Watch + Listen
    Related tags

Anthony Hensley, Bay colony Drive, Des Plaines, drowning, Geese, pond, Swans, villa park

Updated 04/15/12 – 4:19 p.m.
    DES PLAINES, Ill. (CBS) – A man who neighbors say was devoted to caring for the swans of a Des Plaines area apartment complex might have paid for that devotion with his life.
    CBS 2′s Mike Puccinelli has the story of a Villa Park man who died in what witnesses say was a freak incident.
    Early Saturday, Anthony Hensley, 37, was in a kayak on a pond at an apartment complex in the 9300 block of Bay Colony Drive in an unincorporated area of Cook County near Des Plaines, checking on swans that were kept at the pond to keep geese away. Officials said he either got too close to the swans, or their nest, when one of the birds swam towards his kayak, and the kayak flipped over.
    “His kayak wasn’t upside down, but it was, like, upwards,” eyewitness Daniel Gamanov said “You could see the tip of it.”

Gamanov saw the tragedy unfold right outside his family’s apartment Saturday morning. He and his friends watched as Hensley’s body was pulled from the pond.
    It was Hensley’ job to care for the swans at the Bay Colony Drive apartment complex near Des Plaines, but Saturday morning something went wrong, and there was an altercation with at least one of the large birds.
    “They probably thought that he was going too close to their eggs, and they were too scared, and they just attacked him,” Gamanov said.
    He was awakened by a witness pounding on his apartment window, screaming for someone to call police. By the time he looked out, he could see the kayak, but could see no sign of Hensley.
    Witnesses said Hensley came up at least once after his kayak tipped in the pond, but by the time police finally pulled him out of the water, more than a half hour had passed.

An autopsy Sunday afternoon determined Hensley drowned.
    According to his father, Hensley was a good swimmer, but he ended up in the water while fully clothed and wearing boots. To make the situation worse, police said the swans continued to swim at Hensley as he tried to make it to shore.
    His two daughters are so young, they have yet to be told their daddy never made it home from work.
    His father, Raymond Hensley, said “They’re too young. They just know their father is not here, and they don’t know why. It’s tragic for him to have to spend the last few moments like that. That’s always my worst fear, drowning.”
    Anthony Hensley’s wife of four years was too distraught to talk about her loss, so her brother spoke for her.
    “He’s my brother-in-law, and I’m going to miss him,” Tony Macri said.
    He also spoke of how his sister and nieces are now without a bread-winner, and without a secure future.
    “I just want to say it’s very evident that he’s well-loved in the community, it would be great if the community could come together for the family,” he said.
    The family now must come to grips with the fact that they have to say goodbye to a 37-year-old father known for his sense of humor, and his devotion to his family.
    “He’s going to be remembered as one of the most wonderful fathers in the world. A very good father, a very good husband; there wasn’t a mean bone in his body,” his father said.

4/15/12 Kayaker missing at Selma Weir, Australia
    http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/...54d8ad34b0||||

News and Current Affairs | Sport | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Travel | Money & Finance | Viral Video | For Blokes

To experience optimum playback, we recommend using the latest version of Internet Explorer or Firefox .
    close

Kayaker missing at Selma Weir
    April 15, 2012: A thirty year old kayaker is missing after being swept over a weir’s edge at around 11am.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/...54d8ad34b0||||

April 15, 2012: A thirty year old kayaker is missing after being swept over a weir’s edge at around 11am.
    Date: 15/04/12
    Views: 1495

Video by: News

I don't mean to sound judgemental here, its a sad thing that he died from the swan chasing after him. If it was me I would wring that bird's neck and eat it over an open fire along with some fresh piping plover. Me or the animal, are you kidding? I am coming home with roasted swan.

I agree. Very tragic to read about any kayak deaths. But if it was my life or the swan's, or the life of any animal against mind, I would take that life to preserve mine. What says the king of swans on this one, how about it Dark?

Be careful out there guys!

JFK Kayak rescue 4-26-12
    From another site, hope it is ok to post here.
    to Jasone for saving this guy!

"Around 10am we drove by a kayak floating around with no one on it.Got closer and spotted the guy floating next to it hanging on. said he was in the water for 30-40 mins. we got him onboard and NYPD boat and heli were out looking for him a few mins after we picked him up.

i was shocked with 4 other boats fishing close by, no one else noticed him in the water before we got there.

unfortunately i already forgot the guys email, so hope he sees this. curious to hear how hes doing.

32inch

nypd towing the yak

Sounds like a real close call. He is lucky for sure that boat came along. to the guy who saved him!

This guy was 4 miles off cape may. 4 miles? Wow some of you guys fear nothing, I guess. Hes lucky to be alive.

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ss...7c97622620d2b4

Coast Guard rescues kayaker in waters off south NJ

May 27, 2012, 12:44 p.m. EDT
    AP
    CAPE MAY, N.J. (AP) — The Coast Guard came to the rescue of a man whose kayak capsized in waters off southern New Jersey.
    Officials say Thomas McCabe was traveling in the Delaware Bay, about four miles off Cape May Point, when the kayak overturned around 5:25 p.m. Saturday. He was able to call a friend, who notified the Coast Guard.
    An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew was dispatched from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City and soon located McCabe. A 25-foot response boat from Coast Guard Station Cape May then arrived on scene and brought McCabe on board.
    McCabe was then taken back to the Cape May station, where he declined medical attention. Coast Guard officials said he was wearing a life jacket, which "greatly aided in his survival."

Default Re: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

They just rescued this yakker off Kiptopeke, boy was he lucky!
    http://coastguardnews.com/va-marine-...ch/2011/12/09/

Va. Marine Police, Coast Guard rescue 49-year-old kayaker near Kiptopeke Beach

December 9th, 2011 | Comments Off PORTSMOUTH, Va. —

A 49-year-old man from Ambler, Pa., was rescued early Friday morning near Kiptopeke through a coordinated effort by the Virginia Marine Police and the Coast Guard.The man, who had been kayaking along the Eastern Shore, called 911 around midnight reporting that his kayak had capsized east of Kiptopeke.

The 911 call was transferred to the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads Command Center watchstanders, who dispatched a 25-foot Response Boat – Small crew from [COLOR=#009900 !important]Coast Guard Station
    Cape Charles along with an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

Two Virginia Marine Police boatcrews also launched to search for the missing man.While fishing, a good Samaritan heard shouts from a man in the marsh and notified the Virginia Marine Police boatcrew, who then retrieved the man from the marsh and took him to a boat ramp where he was picked up by the Jayhawk crew.

The Jayhawk aircrew transported the man to Norfolk Sentara [COLOR=#009900 !important]Hospital[/COLOR], where he was treated for hypothermia.

“The man was wearing a [COLOR=#009900 !important]life jacket[/COLOR] in this case, which bought precious time in the cold [COLOR=#009900 !important]water[/COLOR] for responders to get to him,” said Lt. Jack Smith, a public affairs officer at Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads. “This probably saved his life.”
    [/COLOR]

lost at sea that was last year, he was lucky just the same.

rip

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/autopsy-to-determine-cause-of-ocean-city-kayaker-s-death/article_885ac502-f26a-11e2-82e7-001a4bcf887a.html

Autopsy to determine cause of Ocean City kayaker's death

Comments
    Print Create a hardcopy of this page

Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:05 pm
    Autopsy to determine cause of Ocean City kayaker's death By TRUDI GILFILLIAN, Staff Writer The Press of Atlantic City Media Group

OCEAN CITY — An autopsy is expected to be conducted Monday to determine what killed an Ocean City kayaker.
    Gary Pasternak, 59, was pronounced dead at Shore Memorial Hospital in Somers Point minutes after he was found unconscious in the water off 15th Street.

Police said that about 10:25am Saturday a member of the Ocean City Beach Patrol found a kayak floating in the ocean about 300 yards off the coast near 22nd Street. A search by multiple agencies including the Ocean City Beach Patrol, Ocean City Police Department, U.S. Coast Guard and State Police followed, and that’s when he was found.
    Members of the Ocean City Beach Patrol discovered Pasternak floating unconscious in the ocean in the area of 15th Street. The lifeguards immediately began cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the man, police Capt. Steven Ang said.
    He was transported to the beach, where he was treated by the Ocean City Fire Department and then taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
    Ang said it appeared Pasternak entered the ocean near 21st Street around 9:30 a.m.
    The State Police Marine Services Division, Atlantic City Station, was investigating.
    Family members did not wish to speak Sunday.
    Contact Trudi Gilfillian:
    609-463-6716

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast