Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

Default Re: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

Only 59 too young to die. Condolences to the family.

Default Re: Kayak Safety: Kayak deaths/ Accidents across the US

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    Only 59 too young to die. Condolences to the family.
    Way too young, may he RIP.

Never ever go out without a PDF!

You should always wear a wetsuit gents. I surf in the winter and without one you don't have too long in that water. A guy was up in the raritan bay last sunday may 4 and almost died out there when his kayak capsized. This is from facebook -

"ow what a day! No fish but did rescue my friend who flipped his kayak.

I didn't think much of the situation until he couldn't get back in his kayak and we where over 3/4 of a mile out. So he hung off the back of my trolling motor while i paddled as hard as I could for 35 minutes with the motor running also with the blades hitting legs a few times.

My other friend followed close by in case he let go and then told me about the 50 50 50 rule means he didn't have much time left. 50 degrees water for 50 minutes you have a 50% chance of living. When we beached he couldnt feel anything and he thought he tore his triceps from the hypothermia and his muscles contracting...

How cold was he? So cold he couldn't get his clothes off or use his hand's so we stripped him down and then I took off my clothes for him...

This isn't a story so I can be congratulated because I did nothing different from what anyone else would have done. This is about being safe, prepared and always ready for the worst. Always have a radio, always fish with a partner, and always wear your pfd because he would have been dead.

Also tell your wives or girlfriends to go buy you a dry suit Lol... Stay safe,a life can be lost at anytime in any situation if you aren't prepared. Thank god I had a motor."

This guy got rescued last Tue. My friend was working there and saw the rescue. Glad to see he turned out all right. Be safe fellas.

A kayaker was rescued off of Port Monmouth after his boat capsized on Tuesday, authorities said.The man told authorities he was unable to swim to shore because of a severe leg cramp and used his cell phone to call 9-1-1, according to the United States Coast Guard.
    Coast Guard rescue crews from Sandy Hook responded and found the man, who was wearing a lifejacket, clinging to his kayak and threw him a heaving line, a news release said.
    ?It was a really good thing that he was wearing his lifejacket and stayed with his kayak, which was bright orange and a larger object for us to be able to locate,? Petty Officer 2nd Class David Snyder said in the release.
    The rescue crews determined the man did not need medical attention and took him to Atlantic Highlands, the release said.
    ?He had attempted to swim back to shore but got a sever leg cramp, so he was extraordinarily grateful once we got him onboard and made sure he was okay,? Snyder said.

@ surferman post- guys really should practice self rescue and group rescue techniques. Glad that one turned out ok

Here is one that almost didn't. thanks to iplayfair for the rescue assist.

Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Kudos for the help. 53 degrees seems pretty cold. That guy looked like he really needed a rescue.
    X2. I have to say this site is so classy about giving thanks and posting good words up. Just was on another site. The same stranded kayaker incident was described and the video was posted. I believe it was in raritan or one of the other northern bays. What struck me as bizarre is there were 6 pages of insults and bickering? ***? They were talking about a rescue and some dudes still wanted to argue. Jeesh!

Another one. Sad that he wasn't wearing a life jacket. rest in peace
    http://www.nj.com/mo..._authoriti.html

Every year it saddens me to read stories like this...
    We all make mistakes ...I have made many....lucky to be alive from some of the mistakes I have made....

I hope for continued dialogue and awareness for kayak safety out there...
    My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jairo Esquivel-Prendas...

Rip

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Every year it saddens me to read stories like this...
    We all make mistakes ...I have made many....lucky to be alive from some of the mistakes I have made....

I hope for continued dialogue and awareness for kayak safety out there...
    My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jairo Esquivel-Prendas...
    Very sad indeed, may he RIP. 37 is too young!

We left my marina around 8am right around where he drowned and there was a slight East wind but nothing crazy like later in the day.

Kudos to the Coast Guard, State Police and Keansburg police for a fast response. We heard on the radio the distress call and not long after they located his kayak. Had he been wearing a life vest they would have found him alive.

A $20 life vest would have easily prevented this tragedy.

Dont want to bash this guy or his family but I agree with Jbarbosa. If he had use a $20 life vest he prob would be alive today. I am not a kayaker but I think this should be followed in yaks and boats as well. I remember story about 3 years ago in NJ a dad and son were out on a party boat in the ocean and it was sporty. The son was jumping up and down with the swells and on a big one lost his footing and fell into the water. No life jacket and he drowned. Very sad for a dad to see his kid drown because of no life jacket. Be safe, not sorry.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Some more that drowned without life vests. They said they were experienced. Sad news.
    Mother, daughter kayakers drown in Delaware River
    http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d..._shore_article

This just happened near me. Be careful out there guys.
    Missing fisherman/kayaker on Thames.
    http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/...-montville-man

Gee that's ashame. hope they find him.

Chesapeake bay. This guy was a navy seal.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ing-kayak.html

wow, it's hard to believe that even a Navy SEAL who was trained to navigate coldwater, could be claimed. Rip

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast