Thread: Kayak safety: Kayak safety 101

Hybrid View

Too many people dying out there, I remember the guy last november got lost in the Shrewsbury River. Good idea for a thread.

If you are a newbie, try to fish a backwater spot first, get comfortable, and dump the yak a few times on purpose. Do all of that before you try it out in the ocean.

Default PFD, the difference between life and death

I don't think anyone said this yet, and it's a basic concept if you will be out there in a kayak, and it is also something that that cop should have been wearing in the Nissequogue river, God rest his soul and look after his family. It was so sad to read that, pfds should be mandatory at all times. Here is some feedback I found on the web

"I was out kayaking yesterday and i noticed the majority of peaple were not wearing pfd even children with their parents whats up with this. As i was leaving i only saw two people put hem on out of about maybe ten others, I think their should be some education to the recreational kayaking and conoeing community.
    I believe this is why there are so many accidents this yr, and one would think with all the news people would wise up.

I was amazed at all the kayakers that didnt have any type of gear just paddles, especially with all the news on kayaking accidents this yr. only takes a second to lose everything. "