Thread: RFA Helps Save Bunker

Default RFA Helps Save Bunker

Recreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
    For Immediate Release September 13, 2011
    ASMFC SETS SCHEDULE FOR BUNKER REDUCTION ACTION
    Public Hearings on Atlantic Menhaden Management Set To Begin Sept. 29

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) announced this week the schedule of hearings on Atlantic Menhaden Draft Addendum V. Atlantic coastal states from Maine through North Carolina have scheduled hearings to gather public comment on Draft Addendum V to Amendment 1 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Menhaden.

The new draft addendum proposes establishing a new interim fishing mortality threshold and target in an attempt to increase abundance, spawning stock biomass, and menhaden availability as a forage species. In other words, the hearings are meant to get public input as to the possibility of reducing bunker harvest in the future by as much as 40%.

Based on the revised 2009 Atlantic menhaden stock assessment, menhaden was not overfished but had experienced overfishing in 2008. Given the current overfishing definition, which sets the fishing mortality rate target at 0.96 and the threshold at 2.2, this is the first time overfishing has occurred since 1998.

"The scientists say that overfishing has occurred in 32 of the last 54 years, yet the main culprits of this resource fiasco over at Omega Protein seem to get all the support in the world to keep doing their thing," said Jim Donforio, executive director at the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA).

"It's staggering to think that the management plan for menhaden that the bureaucrats keep deferring to gives 80% of the resource over to a publicly-held corporation which vacuums as much bunker as they can from the Chesapeake, depleting the resource and causing terrible damage to the ecosystem, while the local traditional bait guys get just 20% of the overall harvest," Donofrio said. RFA recently joined with 32 other organizations under the Menhaden Coalition; Donofrio said he hopes to work proactively with other coalition members in calling for the responsible management of the U.S. bunker fishery.

Thirteen coastal states from Maine to Florida have already banned reduction operations in coastal waters, with Virginia being the last state in the ASMFC which allows Omega full access to its waters in the Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay. Many fishermen and environmental activists alike believe that the localized depletion of Chesapeake Bay bunker has contributed greatly to t problems with water quality on the Bay and with resource issues pertaining to blue crabs, oysters, striped bass and weakfish stocks.

"The reduction boats are the real problem here, and it's time we stop dancing around the issue of the reckless disregard of an industrialized corporate giant masquerading as a fishing operation," Donofrio said. "It serves no conservation benefit to punish the bait fishermen who supply our tackle shops, bait suppliers, anglers and commerical fishermen. What we really need is to adjust the allocation in favor of low impact gear and harvest types and put an end to the mechanized vacuum harvest of menhaden once and for all."

Copies of the draft are available by clicking here - fishermen and other interested groups are encouraged to provide input by attending one of public hearings or providing written comments to Toni Kerns, Senior Fishery Management Plan Coordinator for Management, 1050 N. Highland St., Suite 200 A-N, Arlington, VA 22201; 703.842.0741 (FAX) or at tkerns@asmfc.org (Subject line: Menhaden Draft Addendum V). Comment deadline is November 2, 2011.

The Board is expected to meet in November at the Commission's Annual Meeting to review public comment and consider final action on the Addendum; the intent is to finalize these management measures for implementation in 2013.

New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife
    September 29, 2011; 7:00 PM
    Township of Toms River
    33 Washington Street
    L.M. Hirshblond Room
    Toms River, New Jersey

Maine Department of Marine Resources
    October 3, 2011; 6 - 9 PM
    The Yarmouth Log Cabin
    196 Main Street
    Yarmouth, Maine

New Hampshire Fish and Game
    October 4, 2011; 7 PM
    Urban Forestry Center
    45 Elwyn Road
    Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
    September 28, 2011; 7 PM
    CoCo Key Hotel & Water Resort-Boston
    Newburyport Room
    50 Ferncroft Road
    Danvers, Massachusetts

Rhode Island Division of Fish and Wildlife
    October 5, 2011; 6:00 PM
    URI Narragansett Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium
    South Ferry Road
    Narragansett, Rhode Island

Connecticut Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection
    September 28, 2011; 4 - 6 PM
    Bridgeport Regional Aquaculture Science &
    Technology Center
    60 St Stephens Road
    Bridgeport, Connecticut

October 5, 2011; 4 - 6 PM
    The Sound School
    60 South Water St
    New Haven, Connecticut

October 12, 2011; 7 PM
    CT DEEP Marine Headquarters
    333 Ferry Road
    Old Lyme, Connecticut

Delaware Dept. of Natural Resources & Environmental Control
    September 26, 2011; 7:00 PM
    Lewes Field Facility
    901 Pilottown Road
    Lewes, Delaware

Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources
    October 11, 2011; 6 - 9 PM
    Tawes State Office Building, C1 Conference Room
    580 Taylor Avenue
    Annapolis, Maryland

Virginia Marine Resources Commission
    October 17, 2011; 6 PM
    North Umberland High School Auditorium
    201 Academic Lane
    Heathsville, Virginia

Potomac River Fisheries Commission
    October 18, 2011; 6:30 PM
    John T Parran Hearing room
    PRFC Commission Building
    222 Taylor St.
    Colonial Beach, Virginia

North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries
    October 13, 2011; 6 PM
    Dare County Administration Building, Room 168
    954 Marshall C. Collins Drive
    Manteo, North Carolina

According to Jim Gilmore, the Chief of the Bureau of Marine Resources for the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), there are no meetings scheduled in New York's marine district, though he encouraged anglers to respond directly to the ASFMC in written or electronic form. New York anglers and environmental advocates who plan on emailing comments directly to the ASFMC should also copy the NYDEC at swheins@gw.dec.state.ny.us. You can also fax a copy of your comments to 631-444-0434.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Forgive me for saying this, but I don't know if we should save the bunker. There are enough of them around already and thier presence here and in NC halps boats suround what bass we have left and participate in the mass slaughter. This is just my opinion but I feel the bunker concentrations lead to mass destruction of the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    Forgive me for saying this, but I don't know if we should save the bunker. There are enough of them around already and thier presence here and in NC halps boats suround what bass we have left and participate in the mass slaughter. This is just my opinion but I feel the bunker concentrations lead to mass destruction of the resource.
    I tend to agree with you. With the current regulations allowing for way to many bass to be killed, lining the bass up for a slaughter to me is not in their best interest. I may be short sighted here, but its my current opinion.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    I agree the bass are gone from here and there are still bunker every where the Sea Huntress comes in to Manasquan every few days loaded with them they are put on trucks by fisherman's supply and sent to NE for bait. IMO would save allot of bass so would banning snag and drop for that matter

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO would save allot of bass so would banning snag and drop for that matter
    That would be great.
    [
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I agree the bass are gone from here and there are still bunker every where the
    Some guy I met over the weekend said there are buinker somewhere off the coast of long island, I think he said near fire island. He said there were miles of them. the way the guys carry on in the internet sites when the bunker boats coming around you would think someone is stealing their first born child when they net the bunker. More than once I have seen guys write "If we had more bunker we would have more bass!" How is that possible if there are more bunker than every bass and every other fish in the sea could possibly eat right here and now?

I agree with you fellas but without the rfa the Omega Protein corp would suck up every last bunker in the sea, except for a million or so to keep breeding.