Thread: Hilton Hotels, nickle and diming you to death....thumbs down...

Default Hilton Hotels, nickle and diming you to death....thumbs down...

Pebbles and I were recently at a RE seminar in Fla. The hotel booked was the Hilton. We stayed about a 1/2 mile away at a budget hotel for half the price. There are a few reasons for this....

1. I can't see spending premium dollars to sleep in a bed at night, especially when one bed rate is twice that of another.

2. I don't like paying for breakfast and coffee. The hotel we stayed at offered a full buffet breakfast, in-house baked chocolate and oatmeal cookies , and a clean indoor pool with hot tub.

3. We always travel on a budget because we ain't rich, taking advantage of every internet deal and discount we can find...

The Hilton was a nice hotel, some classy amenities.
    But you pay for every single one of them. From the $3 cups of coffee they offered in the morning and the $4 buttered rolls, bagels, and pastries to the $2 bottles of tap water, they're running the registers to maximixe the revenue stream every chance they get . I'm surprised they didn't charge you for the toilet paper in the public bathrooms there....

I understand that, it's a business and we were a captive audience.....

But the thing that ticked me off the most was no free wireless internet access. Every hotel I've been at has offered it free, as part of the amenities, whether you're a paying guest or not.

The Hilton, however, charges something like $6-10 a day for that privelege, something that really struck me as greedy.

So while we have no complaints about the customer service there, and I can say the personnel were nice and friendly, you pay dearly for those friendly smiles.

Just a FYI for anyone who travels and is thinking about their choices....

That's a fact of life, DS, many businesses try to chisel every last bit of revenue they can out of you. I never stay in a Hilton when there are so many more cheaper options. Try hotwire, travelocity or priceline. The vacancy rate is so high in some areas you can get deals for $60 per night or less.

Stayed at a Hilton about 4 years ago. It was too pricey for me, only an outdoor pool, what good is that in the winter, no gym and extra cost every where you turned.

We are staying at a Marriot now in VA they actually still give free internet for now,breakfast,indoor pool small but a pool the thing the others are doing is you can use the wifi if you go down to the lobby area for free check though they change things frequently. I know not being able to hang in your room is a pain but also when they charge be sure it is not a charge for every laptop between me my wife and kids thats 4 laptops this is another reason we stayed here besides we got a good price.My wife does a indepth research before she books and calls after she does and makes sure everything they say is true we have been told they have a pool and outside empty in January don't work for me got a free breakfast for that screw up.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Went down to AC for a timeshare pitch; stayed at Harrah's. We don't gamble so we did a couple of shows, including the airshow, and toured seafood spots. I got a laugh out of the bottle of water they give when you check out. They also ask, "Do you have enough money to get home?" LOL. I kept my money in my pocket. Nothing a reformed drunk like me needs less than a gambling habit!