As mentioned in a previous threadf about the Hilton. when travelling Pebbles and I do it on a budget. It's the only way we can afford it. We have come to learn some cool strategies for getting the cheapest rates, making big use of the internet and last minute deals.

Continental Airlines recently merged with United. Previously, we were very happy with Continental and the rates on select flights.

Increases in fuel costs are killing the airline profit, and they have had to analyze all services to try to remedy this. Many now charge for checked luggage. I understand that. Each passenger who checks luggage adds incrementally to their cost of doing business, and I accept that part of their business model.

What was irritating to me is that on the newer jets they have partnered with Direct TV to put in "PPV" video screens for the flight.

I'll accept the concept of paying for recent movies, although in the past I was used to seeing them for free. But what United does is make you pay for all access for individual screens, from $3.99-$6.99. That includes if you want to watch the most generic programs, even a sitcom like Everybody Loves Raymond (modeled after my family, btw....)

This nickle and diming is unacceptable to me. They run a "free preview" of any channel, which lasts for about 10 minutes, and then the screen shuts off.

If given another option/airline for the same price, the next time I'll choose that instead of United/Continental.

Just a head's up for those folks whose flying is done on a budget....