Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why are there no fish in Montauk right now?

It was over before it started, the blues didn't even make a great showing this year out on the boats jigging anyways. I didn't bother with the surf this year at all and probably will not any longer since I'm leaving for NC in December for good after my wifes surgery. Finchaser and others have been saying history will repeat itself for anyone who missed the 80's. Welcome back we have achieved wiping the fish out again.
    If will we be able to save them again my guess is no - with the poor fisheries management and attitudes from fishermen that the bass are fine. Most of the boats are now banging the bottom fish already and the surf reports are very grim from my sources. So life goes on. I'll be switching gears putting the surf gear into retirement and moving on to whatever I may find in NC.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Whoa it hurts to read that. I haven't been fishing as long as most of you guys but will take your word for it. Big time suck-a-roo. It's a shame that people really don't want to wake up and smell the coffee until it's too late. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Quick update on the Montauk Bite....
    More bass have been caught as I'm posting this.......You have to realize a large % of those catches come from Block Island and other areas that are in relatively deeper water....
    There's nothing wrong with that....

And truthfully speaking, even the boats who are steaming to Block every night....are having inconsistent results....
    Thanks for reading....
    And for your comments as well.....
    Dark the block island fishing wasn't that great this year either. Here is a report from someone who lives there

"30 & years living on BI and it just seems to get worse every year. My personal worst ever, fish about 4 days a week mornings and evening tides. Had a few good trips this summer with some very respectable fish in the mid 40's. A few small fish but not like past years. Not much to do but drink out there, unless fishing is good. Now the seals have arrived, I wonder what they taste like? Great squid fishing at least."

Lazybones recent trip, c&p from the net. No bass in montauk.

Beautiful day for a drive east. Capt Mike took a light crowd to the point in search of bass and blues.It took a while but the blues finally hit.

Every year it takes longer and longer before we see massive amounts of fish in the Fall Run. The latest report from Viking last night-
    Viking-Night Striped BassFishing
    Night Striped Bass
    "Capt Steven Jr reports another very slow night bass fishing. With the fishing being so slow locally we ventured over to the Block Island grounds. We moved around to a couple of different areas and never found anything to work on. Hopefully fishing will improve as we get closer to the next full moon!"

there wiping them out again

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

took this roughly 6 seasons ago, i stood on the shore and got some video too, why? because there was so many blitzes, and opportunity, if this happened again id run like Hell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taukDSC00060.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	20520

Wow- sounds pretty inconsistent in Montauk as well. I thought it was supposed to be the big mecca for stripers?

don't have a lot of experience there. Strategically that should be where many striped bass would gather up before they make the run.
    just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    there wiping them out again
    Could be coming true, deja vu.

Every year another charter drops out of the biz at 'tauk.

Finally some stripers showed up. Mostly blue fish, but got a few stripers this weekend out East.

fished it the latest this weekend. Nothing but rats left

Looks like will be a late run this year. Guy i know posted this about montauk-
    "I just got back from my annual vacation to Montauk. I have never spent so many consecutive days in Montauk with such quiet weather. Day after day with no wind or even clouds. A few fish under the light before sunrise but nothing almost anywhere else. I did manage a few school stripers at Shagwong after dark. Bait was everywhere. I am going to keep my poles ready in case things bust open. Even though it is a six hour drive for me the potential is there."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345