Thread: Why are there no fish in Montauk right now?

Hybrid View

Bass are on the decline this is how the crash started last time and there are millions more guy's fishing for them now. Dr. Lubchenco with Nobama's blessing , closing down almost ever thing else has all head boats pursuing them in the spring and fall. We need new regulations ASAP.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Bass are on the decline this is how the crash started last time and there are millions more guy's fishing for them now. Dr. Lubchenco with Nobama's blessing , closing down almost ever thing else has all head boats pursuing them in the spring and fall. We need new regulations ASAP.
    finchaser Striped bass are not endangered. The red flag number for us to become concerned is 37.5 million. The species is currently in excess of 60 million. A moritorium was declared in 1985 when the coastal assessment hit a mere 5 million striped bass. ASFMC was created to turn that number around. in 1996 by use of a coast wide approach and lengh limit enforcement the stock estimate was declared fully recovered at 40 million fish.

The striped bass assessment committee is meeting in 2 weeks to make decisions on striped bass technical committee recommendations for management of the species. One of the most important decisions that will be made will be a to implement harvest restrictions on known striped bass spawning grounds in the Albamarle Sound/Roanoke River, Chesapeake Bay tributaries and the hudson River by 50% or more. A move in that direction in the Hudson River will derectly impact recreational fishing on the Hudson from March to June, 2012. It won't affect head boat or commercial fishing because there hasn't been any of that kind of activity in the freshwater tidal portion of the Hudson River north of Bear Mountian in 4 decades.

Trying to make headboats the enemy is a waste of time and effort. They are not the enemy and their customers are folks like us.

Trying to tie the can to Obama's tail on fishing issues is pure pie in the sky political smearing. I don't like him or his policies, but I exercise my comments on his record on a political forum and not a fishing forum.

I am what you would call a conservative, old white man who hasn't voted democrat since I voted an absentee ballot for John F. Kennedy in November, 1960. I was sitting in the belly of a US Navy LPH Carrier off the coast of Siagon, RVN while there was a SVN Paratroops coup attempt going on. My Marine battalion was the Assualt BLT for Fleet Marine Force, Pacific at the time. The SVN Navy and Marines put the coup down in a week, so we didn't have to go in and kick paratrooper *** that week. The dems haven't put up anyone qualified since JFK. JMHO.
    Last edited by RJC; 10-21-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

RJ
    I agree with you and appreciate what you did for what's left of this great country.

The Obama part comes from all the fisheries shut down by Dr. L who was hired by him, (knowing her ties to PEW)these closures add to depletion not accounted for in the equation putting more pressure on the bass.. Most of her staff came from Pew and other tree hunger organizations. I can't stand him either.. I AM NOT POLITICAL SMEARING his already tarnished image and record just stating facts to making sure people who voted for him, know he is not the fisherman's friend. . Just last week the RFA asked Obama to replace her and her staff because they are ruining fishing for everyone trying to implement his fish shares program which practically destroyed fishing in the UK. I can't imagine buying shares to catch and keep fish can you ?
    This is part of their master plan. I also go to all the meetings.

Good man, Bob. He's not going to cut the hugger's loose. We need to get a strong ABO vote rolling for November 2012.

Anybody but Obama.

RJ aka Mr. Bob due to my lenthy time on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post

RJ aka Mr. Bob due to my lenthy time on the planet.
    RC aka Mr. Bob do to my lenthy time on the planet I know the feeling

Some interesting perspectives here, thanks for all the different viewpoints.

I wanted to break down some definitions for here and other threads,. will add to this post as I get time.....

Endangered -

In Danger-

Declining-

Overfished -

Overfishing-

Add

Not Endangered

Not Over Fished.

Over Abundent

Impacting Major food sources