Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a surf bag?

Default What do you look for in a surf bag?

What do you look for in a surf bag?

Where have they worn or broken on you ?

Do you prefer buckles or Velcro?

Lots of pockets?

I want something that will last and hold up, not just for one season like the high priced garbage aquaskins sells. Something like mak, etc. Something that has good stitching in the seams that will not fall apart. Something that has good drainage holes. Why do you ask?

A bag that plugs don't get stuck on. Like Jigfreak, drainage is important. Room for Hogys/Sluggos (long pocket).
    Velcro is fine.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I think the type of material is important too. The thin stuff gets ripped up if you get a hook caught it in. I don't know what the best is, but it seems that the type that hooks can craze along and not get stuck in, would be good. I don't surf fish as often as some of the hardcore guys here but drainage that Monty mentioned is important otherwise you get a lot of rusty hooks. I try to rinse my bag off with freshwater when I get home, that helps too.

Something indestructible all bags have there pro's and con's. definitely good Velcro closures The only bag that is a night mare is the Aqua Skinz bag made in china which fall apart in less than a year.

Below are what I own with a description of things IMO work best after 40 years of trial and error.

I have a surfcaster double row indestructible lexan inserts very heavy. Limited storage except for 1 large outside pouch that is the size of the clouser approx 10x10 . Brass grommet drains. Great bag for the money

The next 3 are my favorites.

I have 2 Van Staals single row, sturdy material lots of room I switched out the round tubes and replaced them with Aqua Skinz square. Bag is no longer made.

I
    I have the AS Hunter Elite Pro Rogue made in USA which IMO is one of the best thought out bags indestructible ballistic material easy access to everything , a 2 tier 2 row design (4 square tubes). All industrial Velcro closures. All compartments have stainless steel grommet drains. Great fall bag holds 8 plugs and 10 metals but carries a $175.00 price tag.

I have the AS Hunter Elite Pro Cobra made in USA which IMO is one of the best thought out bags indestructible ballistic ,5 tube 2 1/4 x2/14 with industrial velcro closures. It has 3 outside pouches 1 for pork rind bottle or other things on one end and another outside pouch on other side. Across the front is an out side jig and buck tail pouch that runs the length of the bag it also has a compartment in that holds 9" sluggos,Gags iglet, ronzi's etc. This pouch has a Velcro closure and can be accessed without opening main compartment. All compartments have stainless steel grommet drains.. Holds 10 or more plugs,12 buck tails or metals and 1/2 dozen rigged rubber.This is a good all around bag but bag carries a $225.00 price tag IMO well worth it.

Most important you can buy a quality bag once and forget about it or buy cheap and keep replacing them which cost more in the long run. Also all the quality bags have spare inserts available so you can switch them for day,night back bay or out front fishing fishing. Me I prefer a bag set up for each. Hope this helps

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Most important you can buy a quality bag once and forget about it or buy cheap and keep replacing them which cost more in the long run. Also all the quality bags have spare inserts available so you can switch them for day,night back bay or out front fishing fishing. Me I prefer a bag set up for each. Hope this helps
    Great advice finchaser thank you! I think for me color is a factor. I get mine dirty so I like either black or dark green. I don't know why they sell light blue because you will trash it quickly. All the comments finchaser made about the durability and special features were much appreciatedd.

Agreed, why buy something that will only last a year. Waste of money to do that.

Quality, durability, and a bag that it not too big and doesn't hang over my shoulders like a pocketbook. Space for a few plugs, metal, and bucktails. I like to keep things simple, since what you are carrying will get wet anyway.

Monty I agree with what you said. Getting hooks stuck on the bag is a pita when you are out there at night. I think the material most of the bag makers use (high quality bags) is somehow hook resistant?
    Finchaser, excellent post and explanations. Every time I read one of your posts I learn something new. Thank you sir!

fin chaser I see you really like aquaskins. Im sorry but I feel they are not that great. If you get your bag wet every time out and swim with it to rocks at montauk you will see they eventually fall apart. Have you ever tried mak? It's been hard to get an order filled but he is making the best surf bag in the business now, bar none. The quality that goes into the stitching and sewing is above all others. Simple, useful, and I dare anyone here to get a hook stuck in the outer material. Almost impossible. This bag sets the standards of what a bag should be for guys who fish allot. just my opinion but the mak is far superior to anything aquaskins makes. Try one and you might agree with some of what I said.

I think an important distinction to be made here is the pricing. The lower priced bags will fall apart because of lower quality materials. The higher priced ones should last longer, in theory. I have used bronco bags and surfcaster bags at the top of what I consider to be reliable. I have used aquaskins bags, but only the lower priced ones and I do not feel they are of the best quality for the long term. That is only my opinion because I have not used the higher priced ones.

I also would like to say that when we first started surf fishing there were no choices of surf bags. Some of us used bags from the Army which had been used to carry small munitions or communications equpment. They were made of canvas with metal d rings. If the canvas got wet it could wear at the stress points. It was the best we could do at the time. Back then we didn't carry much in our surf bags either. A few bucktails, tins, and rudimentary plugs, some hooks, a lead weight or 2, and some extra leaders. It is interesting that as we as society get more choices, we seem to want more. Observe that by going to a local starbucks and see all the coffee choices. too many for me. I liked it when things were simpler.

Yep Aquaskinzs low end bags are pure sh_t, hooks tear them apart.
    So true army gas mask bags from the army navy store back in the 60's. I also remember using band aid cans to carry bucktails when just bucktailing. Yes when things were simplier, life and surf fishing were better no crowds or want to be's.

But then again talk about easy, after reading some posts and snagging a bunker you are a self proclaimed expert. Read some more posts buy a Van Staal reel ,Legend rod and custom wood post a few pictures and your ready to write books and give seminars in a few years. Now thats simple no learning curve

Default Smaller is better for me

I use Aquaskinz Elite Pro Hunter Series double barrel bags
    one is a day bag the other is a night bag.
    I also use the bucktail pough from EPHS
    the reason is they are ez to swim with.

Yep Aquaskinzs low end bags are pure sh_t, hooks tear them apart.
    So true army gas mask bags from the army navy store back in the 60's. I also remember using band aid cans to carry bucktails when just bucktailing. Yes when things were simplier, life and surf fishing were better no crowds or want to be's.

But then again talk about easy, after reading some posts and snagging a bunker you are a self proclaimed expert. Read some more posts buy a Van Staal reel ,Legend rod and custom wood post a few pictures and your ready to write books and give seminars in a few years. Now thats simple no learning curve
    Great memories finchaser. Bunker pros, you know what they say, bunker make everyone a bass fisherman.

Thanks for all the input on surf bags info. I'll post up my creation when I'm done

Good luck. If you make them to last people will beat a path to your door.

I had a canyon for I don't know how many years served me well I'm not into the major $$ stuff because I won't have much need for it anymore if I get going again I'll just be surfwalking and having fun no more serious die hard body can't take it anymore.
    Broncos were good bags not made anymore as far as I know I have looked at the surfcasters bags they look pretty good as far as the high end ones I don't know they may outlast me so that would be useless.
    It depends on the person like I said I don't need it anymore if I was going to dump $$$ it would be on a custom rod by Fin which may be a near future talk.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I'm all ears when ever your ready my friend^^^^^^

I hate when hooks get stuck in the flap, and when the flap get blown open. I'm retiring my old plano surfbag which did last me 10 years, but i'm a googan so i was happy with it till now. I just ordered a Mak 4 tube heard good things about them should last for ever. We'll see. I seen demostrations on that bag and that it was a bag that I must have.

I'll give you a call soon Bob Thanks.
    I'm all ears when ever your ready my friend^^^^^^
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast