Thread: advice needed on spring fishing

Default advice needed on spring fishing

Hey guys this might seem like a stupid question, but when I fish the ocean in the summer for stripers, I use 2 hooks with a sinker on the bottom. I was told to do that by my buddy's uncle, He said it is good because if a fish steals your bait, you will still have one hook with clam left.
    So do you use the same rig in the back bays, or does that make it too complicated? thanks for your help

Spring fish are small and hungry. I like a simple setup, 2 hooks complicates things, but that's just me. Throw out 1 hook, small clam pieces as opposed top big gobs, smaller hooks, and hold your rod in your hand.
    Don't discount the value of using sand or bloodworms either if the water stays in the low 40's. They frequently outproduce clams in early spring fishing. Hope this helps.

Rich Swiss and the St Croix booth

Ran into Rich Swiss, Dave T, and Dave C at the St Croix booth. Here Rich Swiss talks a little about the new St Croix models and early season fishing in Raritan Bay.

I said it at the show, I gotta say it again for emphasis...

Dave C, Swiss does such a great job for the company, don't ya think he deserves a raise after 15 years???

keep it simple, K.I.S.S

I swear you would think a degree was needed to figure out some of these questions.
    Throw clam in water with a ff rig and circle hook.
    Hold yer pole in yer hands.
    When you feel a tug, wait for the 2nd one, reel in, beach the fish.
    Repeat for the next bass.
    Thread closed.

Exactly what to do.

Fish plugs there's bait aroundyou'll never become good at bass fishing with clams

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I agree with finchaser to an extent. You will often catch bass using clams. The thing about clams, however, is that they tend to attract the smaller fish, 15 pounds or less. This is not always true, but generally true. Learning artificial presentations helps when you want to move to the next level of fishing. If you spend your time learning artificials and learning the best presentation to throw based on the bait around, you will gradually become better at targeting the larger fish.

Default Re: advice needed on spring fishing

I agree with finchaser and clamchucker. I would rather throw plugs as well. However when the water is cold it's difficult to catch fish on artificials. Fish may not feed every day and are looking for an easy meal. When that happens is a good time to throw clams or dig tapeworms from the creeks near the sod banks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Rich Swiss and the St Croix booth

Ran into Rich Swiss, Dave T, and Dave C at the St Croix booth. Here Rich Swiss talks a little about the new St Croix models and early season fishing in Raritan Bay.

This is great advice from the King of spring catching in Raritan Bay. The only thing about this video is now more people will try to mug him than ever! Just kidding anyone who fishes back there already knows him and the crew. He gives crystal clear advice about holding the rod. Do NOT spike your rods in the spring or you will miss the bites. A lot of times they are just mouthing the bait and you have to let them eat it and know when to set the hook. I don't understand the guys with 5 rods a piece. They miss more than they catch and spend all there money on clams for the crabs to eat. I only have one rod and a spare in the truck in case it craps out. Thats the way to catch them in the spring. At least for the rb anyway. Look forward to seeing all you out there.
    Remember DONT LITTER! If I see anyone leaving a clam bag or worm box on the beach I will make them take it home or eat it. Either way its going home with them.
    They already have construction vehicles blocking access in UB so its important that we all be respectful back there. Or as dark and everyone else says we could loose access. Don't let this happen to you. Pack it in pack it out.

Oh and I just read the first question in the thread. Sorry I didn't see it when I typed. The thing I like to tell people about the bay is simple is best. I do use a fishfinder rig but I don't like the hi-lows for bay fishing. For one thing its too much to deal with and sometimes there are snags. The other thing is you only need one hook out there. If they steal your bait you are not paying attention. If you let crabs creep in and walk your bait away you are not paying attention. When the fish mouths your bait, having one hook allows you to focus on that and only that. Give him a few extra seconds and set the hook. You will catch more fish by keeping things simple than anything else. just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    Don't discount the value of using sand or bloodworms either if the water stays in the low 40's. They frequently outproduce clams in early spring fishing. Hope this helps.
    I remember when bloodworms were cheap now they are 1 dollar apiece and if you feed the crabs that can get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Oh and I just read the first question in the thread. Sorry I didn't see it when I typed. The thing I like to tell people about the bay is simple is best. I do use a fishfinder rig but I don't like the hi-lows for bay fishing. For one thing its too much to deal with and sometimes there are snags. The other thing is you only need one hook out there. If they steal your bait you are not paying attention. If you let crabs creep in and walk your bait away you are not paying attention. When the fish mouths your bait, having one hook allows you to focus on that and only that. Give him a few extra seconds and set the hook. You will catch more fish by keeping things simple than anything else. just my 2 cents
    Spot on advice ledhead thanks!