Thread: Attaching hooks to plugs

Default Superstrikes stock hook size

This might help Some People/Heres Superstrikes out of the pkg. hook and plug sizes.T=trebel S=single replacement tail hook
    Superstrike Darter 6 -5/8" 2 3/8oz. 3/0 T Replace W 5/0 S

Needlefish 5- 1/4" 3/4-1oz. #1 T Replace w/3/0 S
    6- 3/8" 1 1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 or 5/0 for both sizes
    7-1/4" 1 3/4 oz. 3/0 T

Bullet 4 -9/16" 1 1/8 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 S
    Bullet 1-5/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 4-1/4" 1 oz. 1/0 T Replace w/3/0 S for both
    S/ Popper " " 1-1/2 oz. 1/0 T

F/ Popper 5-1/4" 1-1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/5/0 S for both
    S/ Popper 5-1/4" 2-3/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 6" 2-1/4 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S for both
    S/ Popper 6" 3 oz. 3/0 T
    Bottle Plug 6" 2-3/8 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S

F- Floating Green eye
    S- Sinking Black eye

I use VMC's for single hook replacement:4/0- 6/0 are a good range to have on hand unless you fish alot of smaller plugs than you may need some 3/0's I seem to use more 5/0's than any other size. This is what I do.( may not be the norm for others.)

Default Attaching hooks to plugs

Are there any disadvantages to using split rings?
    On the plug below would adding a split ring give the fish "less leverage" in a fight.
    The hook dangling another ~3/8" with a split ring, is there any advantages/disadvantage relative to hooking up, fighting a fish, attracting a fish?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'm sure your going to get alot of different answers here Monty so this is my opinion.
    I use split rings one for the ease of changing hooks because I don't have much faith in open ring or cut hooks.Anything which has an opening vs. closed has the ability to reopen IMO if it is closed the only scenario I can see is straightening a hook.I want to touch base on something else here while we are talking split rings I don't want to knock any builder(don't take this the wrong way Speedy lol) out there because there are too many pros and cons but plugs that are fully sealed using hook hangers epoxied in are built to last but the leverage&or strain they put on a split ring and or open hook has got to be tremendous as I mentioned I use split rings one negative is if they catch on other hooks or the lip of a swimmer where as you would need to downsize hooks or maybe get away with a smaller split ring.

When a plug is in motion the belly hooks are tucked up against the plug with a split ring when the fish gets its mouth on it and chomps down I feel the extra 3/8" is more they can get in their mouth for a better hookup.It also depends on the fish blues make alot of moves and jumps which opens the hole from the hook quickly whereas a bass just runs pretty much and have a thicker jaw to wear out.

As far as fighting the fish I really don't think it makes much of a difference because the swivel is the only thing giving 360 degree rotation to the hook and or split ring.So if anything is the culprit it would be hook hangers or swivels one causes alot of strain do the lack of movement and one cause too much movement do to the fact of the rotation of the swivel so whats the answer do what you want go fish enjoy you win some and you lose the rest Have Fun lifes too short to worry about these things.Well I don't know if this made any sense but I tried.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thanks Surfstix.
    I have been cutting them, never had one fail, they do seem to rust out sooner. When the plugs are sealed (hangers) I always ways use a split ring. When I look at a plug with the rings, some just seem to have hooks hanging way out there.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

HD # 4 or #5 split ring, I've had one snap on a fish over 25# second set held. also lost a few big fish to them letting go. Any plug that comes with open eye hooks or cut hooks first thing i do is replace them.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Some good advice here. I like what surfstix and finchaser said. I would rather use split rings than the hooks that you have to close with pliers because I am paranoid those hooks will pull on a bigger fish. I think the split rings take a lot of the torque off of the plug and may prevent further damage, like when you have big monster blues and such.

I've had a few open up mainly Mustads I haven't fished since using VMC's but working with them on my plugs I can see some of the issues. Now the VMC's(open eye or cut) everyone started using are breaking more and more just when closing them with pliers to put on a plug I'm thinking it's the process of how they are made thats making them brittle the gamagatsu hooks on Spro bucktails were famous for quick rusting & breaking on them you could take a pair of pliers and snap the hook right off .Rust is a huge problem with VMC's one time in the water even if you rinse them down they will start to rust they must be watched and changed when needed they are a fairly thick hook so it will take time they didn't have these issues when they first came out so something in the mfg. process has to have changed.I have not used owners yet they are a bit on the pricey side.I know what you mean about the looks Monty thats why everyone has switched to the wolverine split ring smaller yes stronger?? the triple ring would make you think that but I'm fairly sure the wire is thinner than a Rosco don't alaways look at lb. test inspect how it is made I know if I put a large hook on them the ring tends to stay open some using split ring pliers I have to agree with Fin I still use the rosco HD #4,#5 and in some cases #6 they do look weird but I've had very little failure actually none that would cause a loss of fish after a few 15 lb. blues start inspecting hooks and split rings of any kind we all know the stress old yellow eyes can put on equipment.What they need to do is make a heavier wire tighter smaller coil split ring I think they would be a winner for all of us that use split rings.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Default Re: Attaching hooks to plugs

I was checking the site for split ring advice and didn't see this thread. great stuff and I wonder if any of you could answer my question in the thread I just posted about what types of plugs to use split rings on and when not to. thanks in advance