Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beach/Fishing Access losses and updates NJ

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Please send this note to your representatives ASAP.

Here is a link to find your Assemblymen and Senators

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp

Please send this (or your own version of it)
    A mention that this issue could cost them your vote in the next election would be a nice touch.

RE: S2600/A3892 - Shore Protection Projects Funding
    Dear ______
    The bill mentioned above proposes a "prioritization" system which has, in our experience, never been effective in securing the needed public access. I am asking that the Legislature require public access. If public access is not created, or enhanced (such as providing needed parking or restrooms), no Shore Protection Funds should be spent.
    Sincerely,
    Name
    Address
    Phone number

Thanks for that finchaser. I c&p your letter and sent it to reps for district 9 which is seaside park.
    This is the link for the reps e-mail If you live somewhere else like north of seaside park you could send it to district 10 but I believe dist 9 would be the best way to get heard.
    Please send a letter if you can about access and ibsp access. This is lame. We are going to have nowhere left to fish.The link below should take you to their e-mail addresses so its easy to send.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/SelectRep.asp

District Representatives

Senator Connors, Christopher J.
    Assemblywoman Gove, DiAnne C.
    Assemblyman Rumpf, Brian E.

RE: S2600/A3892 - Shore Protection Projects Funding
    Dear ______
    The bill mentioned above proposes a "prioritization" system which has, in our experience, never been effective in securing the needed public access. I am asking that the Legislature require public access. If public access is not created, or enhanced (such as providing needed parking or restrooms), no Shore Protection Funds should be spent.
    Also the Army Corps of Engineers is slated to fulfill beach replenishment at Island Beach State Park. This project allegedly will take 9 months. This will negatively impact tourism and revenue for the state and should be shortened if possible. thank you.

Sincerely,
    Name
    Address
    Phone number

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Just read that ibsp will be having some replenishment from A23 on South. Work begins in 2 weeks some of the equipment is already there.
    This is supposed to take up to 9 months. I'm not buying my pass till I see how effed up this will be.
    They are not going to stop until they bury and kill everything near the Jersey beaches and completely *uck up the fishing for us. Unreal how screwed up this is. I was thinking at least Island Beach will go untouched and I'll fish there at night. Nope, completely screw up the complete jersey shore. Bury everything.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

It seems like we can't win. I will send an e-mail and let them know about the access problems and that we are sick of it. thanks finchaser & fishinmission for keeping us informed and making it easy to send.

I emailed them as well. Thank you finchaser and fishing mission. The official press release-

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a contract to repair the Superstorm Sandy-damaged north jetty of Barnegat Inlet, state officials announced Monday.

According to the state Department of Environmental Protection, the contract was awarded to Agate Construction Company of Clermont, Cape May County, for $7.6 million to repair approximately 740 feet of the jetty on the north side of the inlet that was battered by Sandy.

The project is expected to begin later this month and be completed by the fall, state officials said.

The storm caused the displacement of stone along the 740 feet being repaired.
    The repair work will involve rebuilding the cross-section of the jetty using existing capstone, supplemented with additional capstone, corestone, slushed concrete and stone-filled mattresses.

"This project will bring much-needed stabilization of the jetty at Island Beach State Park, and should be the final piece of the post-storm restoration of our state park, which the Christie Administration has been fully committed to since Superstorm Sandy," DEP Commissioner Martin said in a statement. "This is part of the overall coastal repair and restoration effort along the entire New Jersey coast being done by the Army Corps of Engineers, in coordination with the DEP, that will result in a more resilient state shoreline."

The north jetty is a popular fishing location for local anglers, who often catch blackfish and striped bass from the rocks. The repair project will mean the jetty, and the beach just to its north, will be closed for the duration of the project, though all access points for four wheel drive vehicles will remain open.

"While we recognize the jetty is a popular fishing destination, it is imperative that the jetty area be closed to all go park-goers for their own safety during this project," said Mark Texel, State Park Director for the DEP. "Ultimately, we will have a stronger jetty that will best serve Barnegat Inlet and the south end of our park, and jetty fishing can resume."

The Barnegat Inlet north jetty was first constructed in 1940 and raised in elevation in 1974, the DEP said. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged the inlet and several of the smaller channels surrounding it last July in order to ensure safe navigation.

Default Barnegat Inlet North jetty closed for 2014

Repairs Planned for Barnegat Inlet's North Jetty
    Toms River Patch article today. Barnegat Inlet North jetty will be closed for fisherman for the 2014 seasonThe U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a contract to repair the Superstorm Sandy-damaged north jetty of Barnegat Inlet, state officials announced Monday.

.........According to the state Department of Environmental Protection, the contract was awarded to Agate Construction Company of Clermont, Cape May County, for $7.6 million to repair approximately 740 feet of the jetty on the north side of the inlet that was battered by Sandy.

The project is expected to begin later this month and be completed by the fall, state officials said.

The storm caused the displacement of stone along the 740 feet being repaired.
    The repair work will involve rebuilding the cross-section of the jetty using existing capstone, supplemented with additional capstone, corestone, slushed concrete and stone-filled mattresses.

"This project will bring much-needed stabilization of the jetty at Island Beach State Park, and should be the final piece of the post-storm restoration of our state park, which the Christie Administration has been fully committed to since Superstorm Sandy," DEP Commissioner Martin said in a statement. "This is part of the overall coastal repair and restoration effort along the entire New Jersey coast being done by the Army Corps of Engineers, in coordination with the DEP, that will result in a more resilient state shoreline."

The north jetty is a popular fishing location for local anglers, who often catch blackfish and striped bass from the rocks. The repair project will mean the jetty, and the beach just to its north, will be closed for the duration of the project, though all access points for four wheel drive vehicles will remain open.

"While we recognize the jetty is a popular fishing destination, it is imperative that the jetty area be closed to all go park-goers for their own safety during this project," said Mark Texel, State Park Director for the DEP. "Ultimately, we will have a stronger jetty that will best serve Barnegat Inlet and the south end of our park, and jetty fishing can resume."

The Barnegat Inlet north jetty was first constructed in 1940 and raised in elevation in 1974, the DEP said. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineersdredged the inlet and several of the smaller channels surrounding it last July in order to ensure safe navigation.

Strengthening the north jetty, state officials said, is especially important because it protects Island Beach State Park, one of New Jersey's last significant remnants of a barrier island ecosystem and one of the few remaining undeveloped barrier beaches on the north Atlantic coast

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Repairs Planned for Barnegat Inlet's North Jetty

.........According to the state Department of Environmental Protection, the contract was awarded to Agate Construction Company of Clermont, Cape May County, for $7.6 million to repair approximately 740 feet of the jetty on the north side of the inlet that was battered by Sandy.

. The repair project will mean the jetty, and the beach just to its north, will be closed for the duration of the project, though all access points for four wheel drive vehicles will remain open.

I had to read it twice to make sure I was really seeing it. They will still be able to drive on the beach but not fish the inlet? Guess we will have a lot of company at Sandy Hook that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if any of you folks were out this weekend but I took a ride from Manasquan to Sea Girt. The beaches as we know them are history. Today the excavator was in front of St Alphonse retreat and pushing sand around the jetties. O the big bass that used to be caught in that area at night. Now it will be flat and sterile. Gave me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach just looking at it and thinking back to the good memories.

Might be time for some of you to think about getting a boat. If all the replenishment goes as planned it looks like the fish will travel about 1/2 to 2 miles off the beach. A little far for a kayak? but certainly do-able for small craft.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Today the excavator was in front of St Alphonse retreat and pushing sand around the jetties. O the big bass that used to be caught in that area at night. Now it will be flat and sterile. Gave me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach just looking at it and thinking back to the good memories.

I bet half the newbie fishermen out there don't remember fishing at St Alphonses. Fantastic structure and a natural flow of bait in close every year. Then that guy had to take a dump in the priests private bathroom and blow it for us all. I was there that day but didn't hear about what happened until we were home and got a phone call about it. Its amazing to me how one or a few selfish dudes can ruin it for all. Now with the replenishment all the crabs, mussels, and sea life that brought those bass into those pockets at night will be wiped out. Sure they will come back but that will take time. I agree it makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Now with the replenishment all the crabs, mussels, and sea life that brought those bass into those pockets at night will be wiped out. Sure they will come back but that will take time. I agree it makes me sick.
    Makes me sick also, unreal how stupid all this replenishment is. It a waste of money and basically wrecks the surf fishing in jersey for the foreseeable future.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    I bet half the newbie fishermen out there don't remember fishing at St Alphonses.. I agree it makes me sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Makes me sick also, unreal how stupid all this replenishment is. It a waste of money and basically wrecks the surf fishing in jersey for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. I feel the same way about loss of jetty and habitat as this Indian felt about seeing the trash.

I hear you guy. I don't know if you all care about the bay as much as the beach but we lost access there too. Lawrence harbor because of the lead, some areas still fenced in. Pebble beach because of the trash and guys drinking and pizzing on the street. Also remember when you pizz on a bulkhead the urine smell stays a long time. Aberdeen down by the dump now has no parking signs. Keyport the pier is good but I hear they might start restricting access by the old abandoned building/hotel area. Keansburg and the Port monmouth area are ok because of the pier and public beaches but they can be less good fishing-wise. Belford and Leonardo get crowded when the blues come in and every year I worry about them tightening things up because of the navy pier security. All we need are the late night fires, tire burnings and leaving the beer bottles and bait boxes all over and the people will start complaining to the police and mayor.

I agree with what you people are saying here, and feel the same way. I spent many years of my life fishing the bay/estuary waters and exploring all the creeks to see which ones contained life, at what point in the season. Ruined quite a few pairs of sneakers walking around in the muck looking for tapeworms, trapping killies and other small forage fish....

I think some folks have so little disregard for these areas because the fishing is seasonal. By that I mean that the fish are there in numbers for a month or two in Spring and Fall (for most shore or pier fishermen). When the fish are gone most fishermen move on. Some of them feel it's OK to litter or act like idiots. The disrespect I have seen toward bay and river area homeowners is sad (even if you are fishing at 2am and having loud conversations with each other, I still consider that disrespect as it encourages those folks to put access restrictions in place).

I could go on and on about this, but I'll try to be brief.

Many of these access restrictions could have been prevented.

One more area back there is the Highlands Jetty, to the West of the Harbor. Used to be great fishing there....too many drunken idiots out on the rocks at night, someone got hurt, sued the owners, and now it's fenced off......IMO these bay access losses, and the ones in front, like the St Alphonse one mentioned, are killing our access and making it more critical to be discreet about the ones that remain.

No longer can we count on fishermen to "be cool about it" or "only fish a spot with one or two guys"....the new breed of fishermen thinks it's OK to bring groups of 5 at a time to limited access spots, yammer all night about various things, irritating the homeowners,,,,BBQ at the ends of streets in high end areas...,,dump their fish racks in beach club or private garbage cans.....and some guys out there, wonder why homeowners hate us fishermen.

I know sometimes folks feel it's a downer reading these rants of mine, but it sickens me how much access we have lost, and how much of that could have been prevented with more responsible fishermen behavior.

Default Fishermen Access and the Public Trust Doctrine....

As finchaser has pointed out many times here, as these beach replenishment and shore restoration projects are completed, we are consistently losing access as some of these smaller access paths are not replaced.....only to be lamented by the old-timers and people that fish there regularly......most of the newer fishermen won't even be aware that we are losing this access....that's one of the reasons people reading this were asked to contact their Legislators earlier in the thread.....
    S2600/A3892 - Shore Protection Projects Funding

One additional access area that comes to mind is in Ocean County....

It has a pretty bad nickname.....not coined by me...but known by this, just the same.....as "lesbian alley".
    Some fishermen are under the impression that the Public Trust Doctrine protects them at all times, and when fishing is allowed, they can behave however they want to.....

**I'll try to come back and go into more detail about some of these abuses, when I get a chance......
    This is a good thread. It's right and just to keep the access issues in the forefront.....

Jetty Country is going to be smoothed over like a parking lot in the next few months. Here is your chance to do something to protest it. The ACOE press release has 2 e-mail addresses in the middle paragraphs. State your name, that you fish the area, and why you think it will be ineffective. The clock is ticking folks. I sent my e-mail today. Let's do this before it is too late. We have until March 26.

NEWS RELEASE
    BUILDING STRONG
    U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS – NEW YORK DISTRICT
    26 FEDERAL PLAZA NEW YORK, NY 10278
    WWW.NAN.USACE.ARMY.MIL
    U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS – NEW YORK DISTRICT
    26 FEDERAL PLAZA NEW YORK, NY 10278
    WWW.NAN.USACE.ARMY.MIL

Chris Gardner, 917-790-8007
    Christopher.P.Gardner@usace.army.mil
    For Immediate Release:
    February 24, 2014

Army Corps announces availability of Draft Environmental Assessment for proposed Elberon to Loch Arbour reach of the Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet Beach Erosion Control Project
    Public comment period open until March 26, 2014

NEW YORK – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District announces the availability of the Draft Environmental Assessment (DEA) and Draft Statement of Conformity (DSOC) for the Elberon to Loch Arbour reach of the Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet Beach Erosion Control Project, Section I – Sea Bright to Ocean Township and the opening of the window for the public to submit written comments regarding those documents.

With the passage of the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013, the Army Corps has been given the authority and funding to complete ongoing coastal storm damage risk management projects and studies in the Northeast, including the Elberon to Loch Arbour project, which was previously authorized as part of the larger Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet project but was not constructed. As part of the planning and implementation process for the authorized Elberon to Loch Arbour project, the New York District has updated prior engineering and design efforts, physical surveys, and environmental compliance in putting together the recently completed Draft Hurricane Sandy Limited Re-evaluation Report (HSLRR).

The DEA and DSOC, as well as the Draft HSLRR for the Elberon to Loch Arbour project and associated documents, are available on New York District’s web site at www.nan.usace.army.mil.

Public comments on DEA and DSOC regarding this proposed work should be submitted to:
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District Planning Division-Environmental Branch (ATTN: Mr. Howard Ruben) 26 Federal Plaza, New York, New York 10278-0090

Public comments can also be submitted by e-mail to
    Project Biologist
    Howard.Ruben@usace.army.mil

and
    Project Manager
    Jenifer.E.Thalhauser@usace.army.mil

Further instructions for submitting comments can be found in the Notice of Availability of Environmental Assessment document on the District’s site. Comments received by March 26th regarding the DEA will assist in the agency’s evaluation of the project changes and will be reflected in the project record.
    The Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet project is a partnership between the Army Corps and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

The proposed Elberon to Loch Arbour project calls for the placement of roughly 4.5 million cubic yards of sand to create a 100-foot-wide beach berm 12 feet above mean low water. The project also calls for the modification of six groins to allow for the movement of sediment and modifications to 16 outfalls to ensure their continued operation after the beach berm is created and to prevent their operation from negatively impacting the newly constructed beach berm.

Pending the Environmental Assessment, required reviews of the Elberon to Loch Arbour Reach Draft Hurricane Sandy Limited Re-evaluation Report and the signing of a Project Partnership Agreement with the DEP, the Corps expects to award the construction contract for the Elberon to Loch Arbour project in summer or fall of 2014.

Told you this was coming last year they have been replenishing areas since November. First shot has been done in Monmouth Beach ,Sea Bright, Manasquan and now sea girt. this is I believe a 10 year project to bury from the hook to Manasquan Inlet. Part of the Army Corp of morons job security program. Heard this is a done deal got to protect the rich political campaign contributors.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

In todays star ledger.
    www.nj.com

BILL WOULD MAKE PUBLIC ACCESS CONDITION OF SHORE PROTECTION PROJECTS
    TOM JOHNSON | APRIL 14, 2014

If public funding pays for project, measure would mandate public access to beaches, waterfronts -- including Sandy initiatives.
    New Jersey has 127 miles of beaches along the Atlantic coast, an enticing attraction that helps drive a nearly $40 billion tourism industry.

But many parts of the coastline are off limits to the public -- a circumstance some lawmakers and conservationists are hoping to resolve, if only partially.

The Legislature is moving a bill (S-183), sponsored by Sen. James Whelan (D-Atlantic), that would require any shore protection projects receiving public funding to include public access to the waterfront, an amendment urged by a conservation group in a vote by a committee considering the bill last month.

The issue is a longstanding bone of contention between the state and coastal advocates, who say New Jersey too often restricts access to the waterfront, sometimes because the beaches are privately owned and sometimes because of security concerns related to businesses along the shore.

For years, conservationists have been lobbying for greater access to waterfront areas, allowing fishermen and others to take advantage of the recreational opportunities along the coast.

With Hurricane Sandy causing massive damage not only to houses, but also beaches and dunes along the coast, the state is expected to ramp up spending for shore protection projects.

The bill is similar to a measure approved by the Legislature in the last legislative session, which was pocket-vetoed by Gov. Chris Christie. That bill (S-2600) only required the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to give priority to projects that included new public access to the waterfront, as well as projects that enhance existing public access.

That provision drew criticism from Stacey McCormack, director of governmental affairs at the American Littoral Society.

McCormack said New Jersey and the federal government are poised spend hundreds of millions of dollars on shore protection projects. “There are significant stretches of the coast where there is no public access,’’ she said.

She argued that it is beyond common sense to spend millions of dollars on projects in which the public has no access to beaches or waterfronts. “Now is the time to address longstanding problems with public access,’’ McCormack said.

Sen. Bob Smith (D-Middlesex), the chairman of the Senate Environment and Energy Committee, which advanced the bill to the appropriations panel, initially had reservations about including a mandate to require public access.

“Our problem, to be candid, is DEP,’’ Smith said, worrying that if a mandate was included many worthwhile projects may never receive funding. “Is it better to get something done or is it better to get it right?’’ he asked. “I don’t know the answer on this.’’

Other senators, however, backed the mandate calling for public access to waterfront areas, a position that led the committee to amend the bill to include the requirement.

Beyond the public access requirement, the bill also would require the DEP to establish a priority system for ranking shore protection projects. In the past, Smith noted the agency had such a system, but allowed it to expire.

The legislation also would require all shore protection projects that include a structural component, such as seawalls and other permanent facilities, to also include non-structural components, like sand dunes. Towns with dunes fared much better during Hurricane Sandy than those without these natural barriers.

I don't know if this is permanent but thought you guys should know about it.
    I fished last night and it was frustrating. First I went to a well known spot, cliffwood beach and the police had the lot blocked off. They weren't letting anyone fish. When I asked them why they said someone lit a fire too close to the parking lot and the neighbors complained. Looks like we are going to lose another spot to the idiots!!!!!
    I went to another bay area and only had a half hour before I had to go home. One missed hit (yes I was holding my rod ledhead ) and that was it for me. The fishermen out there are getting worse and worse and I think it's time someone does something about it. We should post their pics!

Bad news and it will only get worse. I feel if there is another moratorium maybe half these guys will stop fishing. Things will go back to the way they used to be when hardly anyone fished for bass because there were none.

Heads up the Spy House pier in port monmouth will be closed on July 1. Beach replenishment. Took some pics yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN 616.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	18596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN 617.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	18597
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN 618.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast