Thread: 9-11 rescue

Default 9-11 rescue

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

That was some inspiring footage, thanks for posting.

Awesome that those people helped out the way they did!

It's inspiring what those guys did helping folks get out of NYS as quickly as possible. You never know when you might be called on to help others. I played a small part in the efforts in the days after that, shutting down my business and collecting supplies to go and volunteer at the Red Cross.

What I really wanted to do was go and help them dig people out. By the time I got down to do that, most of the digging was taken over by First Responders and I couldn't get access. I regretted that because I somehow felt I didn't do enough.

I mention my part here not to brag about what I did. I played a very small role. It was nothing in comparison to these boat Captains and the order they helped restore in times of chaos. They and the First Responders are the true heroes, as well as all the people who died that day. They died because our country is the best in the World, and sick people out there are jealous of that.

Remember that pride, every time you doubt your country.
    For one year after that, we rallied together. There was a sense of unity and pride in being American. The specific country flags that you see people fly out of their houses now were gone. Replaced by the American Flag, the proudest flag in the world.

As we now stand, 9/11 is a bitter memory in the minds of some, especially those who lost loved ones.

For others out there, I post these words as an encouragement for anyone who gets the urge, to volunteer, and make a difference in something.

You may feel you are only a small insignificant part of it, as I felt. However, by volunteering you can become part of something great, better than you could ever do on your own, unless you're Bill Gates.

This goes for helping people, as well as getting involved in issues that affect us, like fisheries management. The generation of the past, people like Finchaser, the OFFC, Surfwalker, ane others here, are tired from all the volunteering and activism.

It's now time for new volunteers to step up to the plate and lend a hand.....so please consider volunteering your time, words, or compassion, anywhere you feel it's needed most....and please consider it today... Some "volunteers" such as soldiers and police officers, have given much, and have paid with their lives as the ultimate sacrifice ....

I know it sounds corny, but one person can make a difference, if they believe they can. I still believe it despite my cynicism here at times....

Thanks for reading, folks, and thanks to Finchaser, as always, for posting and sending stuff like this....

Was looking for the 9-11 threads and found this one. Thank you finchaser for sharing that. Great pics and story,

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    For others out there, I post these words as an encouragement for anyone who gets the urge, to volunteer, and make a difference in something.

You may feel you are only a small insignificant part of it, as I felt. However, by volunteering you can become part of something great, better than you could ever do on your own, unless you're Bill Gates.

This goes for helping people, as well as getting involved in issues that affect us, like fisheries management. The generation of the past, people like Finchaser, the OFFC, Surfwalker, ane others here, are tired from all the volunteering and activism.

It's now time for new volunteers to step up to the plate and lend a hand.....so please consider volunteering your time, words, or compassion, anywhere you feel it's needed most....and please consider it today... Some "volunteers" such as soldiers and police officers, have given much, and have paid with their lives as the ultimate sacrifice ....

I know it sounds corny, but one person can make a difference, if they believe they can. I still believe it despite my cynicism here at times....

Thanks for reading, folks, and thanks to Finchaser, as always, for posting and sending stuff like this....

Thanks again for posting that Fin.
    I'm quoting my prior post above, to get folks out there to think about volunteering, at some point, to help those less fortunate than yourselves...thanks for reading.

I don't live near there but understand some of them did a fantastic job and worked for many hours without breaks.