Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: captains charters and customers what are they saying

Mentioned in Captain Al Ristori's blog yesterday

The northern Shore December striper fishery never developed, and the Atlantic Highlands boats dropped out of it. Capt. Rob Semkewyc reported that very few of the bass he saw and marked from his Sea Hunter would hit. He had one shot of bass up to 27 inches before deciding to call it a season after this week's NE blow.*

Interesting take on surf fishing at Sandy Hook from nj.com:
    "Allen Riley and John Mazzeo of South Plainfield drove down to the Sandy Hook surf along with Duke Matero of Piscataway, Lou Vargas from Fanwood, and John Bernal of Bangor, Pa. Based on his results so far in the northern Shore surf, Riley wasn't expecting much on a beautiful morning -- and that's what they got after casting lures, fresh bunker and Gulp for hours. Mazzeo was high hook with two sea robins, while Maturo hooked a sundial on Gulp, and Vargas caught a skate. Riley managed a 14-inch fluke on Gulp, and noted that this has been the worst spring surfcasting he's ever seen in that area."

Didn't fish Block this year. Opinion from someone who did-

I moved to Block in 1983, what a trip it has been. Last year I had 2 fish over 50. This year has been the WORST ever for me and my fishing partners. Year after year I could see hundreds of boat on SW ledge slaughtering the jumbo bass stacked up out there. This can only last so long. Well that time has reached us. After the huge kill on the canal that mass has been pounded. It's outright disgusting. Bock has been dead all season no large fish at all for me this year and very few small. No rivers out there to attract bunker schools. I do my part and release all bass I catch. The fishing industry will feel this.

That's pretty scarey. Block is the other mecca after montauk, no?

Yep Block Island, Orient Point and Montauk are the best spots I know of to get trophy bass. This year not so much.

Don't know if you folks follow him on fb. Bill Wetzel is a LI and Montauk guide, one of the best in the business. Somebody asked him how his fall has been, this is what he posted

"Bill Wetzel. Worst season since the moratorium""

Bill is a standup guy. Met him several times out East at night. Very simple in what he says but meaningful. I agree. My fall was poor as well and I fish all over LI. The problem is, for every guy like Bill trying to explain with honest words, you have the Captree idiots exaggerating for business. Read the words below carefully. It is apparent to me the Capt who posted them is brazenly hyping it up. People read that and they tend to believe.

" After finding a few fish on our last two drifts this morning we went back to that area this afternoon and had an absolute striper bail job with easy fullboatlimits and catch and release... I mean we were in the secret spot ( LOL ). The bass got bigger as the day went on BASS to 30 pounds.Great day memorable and unforgettable to have bass on every cast. We released more bass than we caught the last 3 years keeping only the Limit for the boat....."

Also wanted to say I had a tough year last fall as well. Hoping for a better Spring. So far it's been schoolies.

Interesting how 2 of the better captains had different experiences today. From Capt Al Ristori blog.

"Capt. Vinny Vetere has been doing very well mixing up trolling his Ho-Jo’s from Katfish out of Great Kills plus live-baiting bunker. However, stripers were scattered in the back of the bay today and wouldn’t hit live bunkers. Trolling produced a pick of bass up to about 25 pounds, but with only one doubleheader.
    At Atlantic Highlands, Capt. Ron Santee said the fishing has been “beyond tough.” Even bunker chunks haven’t been working on his Fishermen. Normally striper fishermen would be cursing at bluefish eating striper baits, but they’d be welcomed now. Santee hasn’t seen one in the bay or ocean though they are two weeks late."

This is a NJ Capt. Capt Ron, I believe they are fishing the raritan bay.

"Loads of Bunker in the AM in shallow water, just not many fish eating them so it was back to the clams for bait. Only caught 1 Bluefish so far and it's already May 15th!!! Has to be the worst Spring fishing for us that I has seen in 40 years.....Back at it tomorrow.
    Capt. Ron "

Def agree with that. The charters do better than the PBs because they can target small bodies of fish. Then they come back to the dock and report that they "killed them, on Da meat!". Total BS. Capt Ron of the Fishermen is one of the most honest captains out there. He tells the good with the bad, never exaggerates. I was on his boat a few times, would def recommend if you want a good fishing trip at a decent price. You have to check out his Dad Ron Sr. The guy is an old salty who often outfishes everyone on board. Then again, the guy has been fishing the salt over 60 years.

from the Brooklyn's capt a few days ago. One of the best party boats in the area-

Well to say this year is not going well would be a nice way to put it. It is already June and no blues on any big party boats almost ZERO.
    Today Capt Mike as always went near and far and far to maybe check to last possible places for Blues to be and we found Zero. We did find some huge bass at the end of the day.

A guy named Frank Theo, commenting on a youtube video:

"My feeling is that the bass fishing is worse than it was during the 1970's and 80's and there's more pressure on the Striped Bass fishery today from all party boats charter boats privet boats and poachers that call themselves fishermen that have been keeping the bigger breeder Striped Bass by the barrel full none stop for the past 23 years.

Three years ago during the fall run a party boat that I will not name posted multiple pictures on
    Norest.com with his bow full of barrels of 30 to 50 LB bass and slobs laid out all over the deck, do you think the DEC wasn't watching this ? They did !!
    That winter the DEC proposed a slot limit between 28 inches to 40 inches per bass. You could only keep one fish per angler on a boat that size, and luckily that DEC bill didn't happen.

I saw this posting and I wanted to through you some input from somebody who's been around the block a few times and saw the hay day of party boats and the privet boat commercial fishing industry come and go, and who loves surf fishing. NOPE I'M NOT A BASS SNOB, personally I could catch bluefish all day and take one home for the table over a bass... Happy Fishing !!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567