Thread: captains charters and customers what are they saying

Hybrid View

Thats a great start

I wish more of the NJ charter boats would encourage their fares to keep only one fish.

I don't like to speak out against other Captains but this fellow has the right idea. I have seen so much waste at the marinas. There is nothing wrong with keeping or eating a bass. Limits are not illegal and sometimes I get tired of the zealousness I see on the internet when someone keeps one fish to eat. Not just this site but other sites. That being said I have seen so much waste over the years. Folks who went out on a trip and happened to find schools of big feeding bass. All taking limits plus bonus. Unfortunately some of them happened to be fluke fishing and were not prepared to handle the bigger fish. So tbey stuff them whereever they can and don't have enough ice. When they get back after a long day the fish's skin is dry and the meat is cooked. As I said I am sometimes offended at all the posts I see judging whether we should keep a bass or not. I am equally offended by the shameful waste of good striped bass I have seen out there. All for the trophy shot at the dock. Please folks, eat as many bass as you feel the need to. But don't waste them. It's poor sportsmanship.
    I hope what that montauk capt said catches on as well. We are at a tough cross roads now with striped bass. It could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Thats a great start

I wish more of the NJ charter boats would encourage their fares to keep only one fish.
    I agree. Some of the charters have no ability to see the consequences of their actions. Good karma to these ones that do.

Capt Jeff of Second Choice Charters. He is also author of the book "Caught- Montauk Capt" not sure of exact title.

"We got in on the same bight everyone else did. It is true: all fish were between 32 and 42 pounds. Everyone caught. EVERYONE! It was lock and load, We caught over 50 fish for sure, maybe more.

These are facts: in 79 when they had blitz like this but rec boats often kept them all, came in with 20 fish each. That is not happening now, for the most part. 2) The only thing that prevent a massive kill off was water temps being low, at 65. If the temp was 70. Most fish would have died, not having the strength to get back down to the bottom in the massive 4 knot current. Most people also do not know how to release fish.

While fishing is great , here , now..Still we should not celebrate too much: the commercial guys cant get a slot fish (under 36 inches) to save their lives out here. For me the canary in the cold mine, has always been Montauk Harbor in early June you usually here small bass crashing bait. The last two years the bait was there but no Bass, no splashes eerie!!"

^^^^^ for Jeff Nichols.

Def a good way to go. kudos!

**This is the first time in years, that I can remember some Montauk Capts recommending their fares to only keep one each. This is extremely significant.

Montauk Capts are tough as nails. I have made friends with some Capts over the years. In my experience, they don't like to say something if they feel it will hurt their business,. and I don't blame them. For some Capts now to be publically stating on the internet and their websites, that they are encouraging less bass to be kept on each trip, could have the effect of turning business away from them to someone else,,,,,and yet you still have a few Capts doing it.......
    This is a clear and compelling indication, of how much the level of activity, and robustness of the bass fishing, has sunk....even in Montauk....the famed Bass and Sportfishing Capital of the World.....

For Capts to take a financial risk of less business, and encourage fares to take less, is to be commended. These Capts have nothing to gain by stating what they are seeing, yet they are stating it anyway.
    They see it clearly in reduced catches., particularly over the last 5 years. The most seasoned Capts know this. They may not be willing to talk about it on the internet, but the Capts I know, are most willing to talk about it when they get together to compare notes about the fishing......

Please let's try to post some of their reports, and see if we can give them some publicity. Some fares will not consider ever chartering a boat where a Capt is encouraging that.

It really does speak to how inconsistent the bass fishing has become, even at Montauk.

Good deal this is great news. At least some one is trying to do something.