Thread: captains charters and customers what are they saying

Hybrid View

Honest report from Capt Gene of Montauk Sportfishing

10-28-13
    The “rat patrol” continues to be the only action for stripers. They are still off the south side eating sand eels along with lots of bluefish, and there is nothing in front of the Lighthouse. But virtually everyone has to be measured, and don’t forget that you can squeeze the tails. With the mild weather we’ve had so far this fall, you’d expect that we’ll have fish here into December, and there are reports that there are plenty of fish in Massachusetts waters. It would be nice if some bigger ones would come along.

I’m not into surfcasting but it seems like those guys are finally getting some action, I assume all on the south side.

Montauk bite has been very poor this fall
    Report from another website for yesterday:

"nice day lousy fishing

Weather-wise it was the day we have been waiting for. Trolled chutes and diamond jigged all day and only 3 bluefish to show for it.Wow this is about as bad as I have seen Montauk at this time of the year. I guess they are all at Captree, and they are killing a mess of them!"

They are starting to thin out quickly with all the boats on them here also.Surf still pretty dead.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^^ If any of you would doubt the overall poor 2013 LI to NJ surf action thus far, ya might want to listen to what Surfstix says in some of his posts here.....

He's tied in to some of the best fishermen in LI....they all share intel back channel.....and I just want to re-iterate that despite what some of the internet experts are saying....his intel chain consists of guys who can fish every night, or at least 5 times a week.....If the bite is great, or lousy, they would know...

None of them is happy about the current state of the striped bass fishery....The world famous fall Montauk run that some plan their whole vacations around has been abysmal overall for the surf guys. This despite a few good nights of catching from those who were there at the magic moments when bigger fish turned on....

**Even Zeno, who few would doubt skills in catching fish....has had poor numbers this year.....despite fishing all over from MA to Li.....
    Food for thought, people....

As always, thanks for your perspective surfstix....

All I can say is stay tight to the bottom no more then 5ft. off sandeel presentation and any piece of beach structure should not be overlooked this is some of the toughest fishing we have seen in a very long time.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thanks for sharing SS. This was a report from Capt Gene at Montauk. Looks like the bite that Montauk had is really dying out.

"The gannets are here. Most years the boats would be getting out the Sabiki rigs to start jigging up some herring for live baits, but not this year. The birds all down on the south side eating small weakfish, snappers and such. And, the herring might be too big for the stripers that are around anyway. Every day is a little different, with one day just about everything being too small and the next day enough keepers around to make the trip worthwhile.

But, they are a long way from the harbor – Ditch Plains and west, and seemingly moving farther away each day. Charter boats are bringing back a half dozen or so fish per day, a long way from what it should be. With the fall being so mild, you would expect the bass to stay around until Thanksgiving or so."

Thanks for the honesty Capt!