10/27 Fisherman’s Access Group Meeting with the NJ DEP:

Last night we met with the NJ DEP and went over the proposed changes that we the Fisherman’s Access Group had put forth to the DEP.There where 12 of us in attendance along with a group of 4 from the DEP.The meeting started with a discussion about legal terms and how they can be mis-interpreted ,but we soon found a common ground. From this point on it went very well in my opinion. From our original list of 17 concerns which we submitted to the DEP in July of 2011 they agreed and submitted for a change 16 of these points. We as a group where very pleased.
Of these concerns we had going in to this meeting some of the stand out points we brought up where #1 All current tidal water access points shall be maintained They agreed the ruling N.J.A.C.7:7E-8.11(b)2 states the following,” All existing public access to, and along tidal waterways and their shores shall be maintained to the maximum extent practicable. This is a homerun for us. We also found out that the DEP has an enforcement branch that we as fisherman can contact when we find town’s closing access points, or otherwise messing with our public access.
Our second and in my opinion a point that would have ruined fishing for me, was in regards to 24/7 access .Like myself many of you ply our passion in the wee hours of the night so 24/7 access and parking are up most importance to us. This is what the DEP changed the wording to--- Proposed N.J.A.C. 7:7E-8.11(d)1 states the following, “Municipal Public Access Plans shall incorporate fishing access and associated amenities, including parking that accommodates nighttime fishing for a reasonable duration of time, to the maximum extent practicable on or adjacent to tidal waterways and their shores. In the case of a beach, fishing access shall not be required in areas designated for swimming during hours designated for swimming.”
All in all this meeting went very well even as much as the DEP has assigned a division the Office of Land use Planning to work hand in hand with us in regards to future access. This is in regards to towns or municipalities applying for permits for new construction, beach/dune replenishment, bulkhead/bridge repair construction ect…in tidal water areas. The will also involve The Division of Fish and Wildlife and any other appropriate DEP Division as needed for their expertise.
We are also going to be working with the DEP specifically Elizabeth Semple on creating a public access map of all of the public tidal water access points in the state of NJ. This undertaking in enormous in scope and we will need all of the help we can get from everyone in our community. This course of action is to start in the very near future and will be posted on the NJ DEP’s Web site in an interactive map system.
-----All in all we the members of the Fisherman’s access team feel that the DEP has been straight up with us, addressed all of our concerns, even reached out and asked us for help designing this public access rule. My hat is off to them. IF you would like to view the documents and changes we discussed. Please feel free to contact me and I will send them out to you. Your input is greatly appreciated ion fact they asked for it. The DEP is looking to put this baby to bed by this coming December 2011 and any and all changes need to be made and adopted by that time. If you have any questions thoughts or concerns please feel free to contact me at fishincrazy123@yahoo.com. My name is Jim.