Thread: Review: Tsunami 10' Surf Rod, Airwave 1002MH

Default Review: Tsunami 10' Surf Rod, Airwave 1002MH

Model TSAWSS-1002MH

Type Length Pieces Action Line Wt Lure Wt
    Spinning 10' 2 MH 15-30lb 2-4oz

Recently had a chance to see this rod in action, was wondering if anyone had any comments or feedback. Thanks.

Through the use of unique, high-pressure production techniques, each Tsunami Airwave rod delivers strong, powerful High-Fiber Density blanks with no excess weight. The result is a stronger, more powerful, lighter weight, high performance rod for inshore or surf fishing. All-day casting no longer means sore arms and a tired angler because light weight is part of every Airwave rod design from the high-density blank to the tough Fuji® Hardloy™ guides used on the Surf series and the durable, textured vinyl grips. The high fiber density blanks provide extreme sensitivity and more resilience to transmit more power to each cast. That means more distance and accuracy with less effort.

•Lighter - Stronger - More Powerful
    •High Fiber Density Blank Construction
    •Increased Sensitivity
    •Improved casting
    •Lighter then SiC
    •Smoother than Hardloy
    •Stronger than ordinary rings
    •Fuji® Graphite Reel Seat
    •Tough, Durable, Textured Vinyl Grips on Surf Models

I have the TSAWSS-1002MH Model. It's a great rod, has plenty of backbone to turn fish, after fishing the craziness of IBSP. In some instances I had no choice to get teen size bass almost hydroplaning on the water to avoid tangles. This rod was great on the 30 inch and better fishes.

Casting is a different story. To cast straight I have to compensate by casting to my left. When I first notice this I went home and checked the spine and it was off. It’s a factory rod and a cheap one at that. I picked up 2 years ago for 80 dollars (about). And after casting it every day for about 2 weeks My right Trap (muscle) and shoulder blade area feels like a knot with pain. I’m not sure if it a balancing thing or my casting compensation. that is giving me the pain.

The rod handles 2 to 4 oz well where the 2 to 3 oz is the sweet spot. I’m using a Penn 704z reel with 30 pound Fireline and I’m able to make it over the Bar most times. I like to say I’m casting 250 to 300feet, but I don’t know it could be deceiving in telling how far.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    And after casting it every day for about 2 weeks My right Trap (muscle) and shoulder blade area feels like a knot with pain. I’m not sure if it a balancing thing or my casting compensation. Is giving me the pain..
    I think if your 50 years old or older that is normal.

VPASS I used the rod a couple years ago and agree with everything you said. I basically did not like the rods action, was to stiff for my liking. Seemed powerful.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I repair the guides on lots of them. IMO Tica's are much more durable

Vpass you would do much better casting with Fireline 20 as it breaks at 47# the 30 is like rope and breaks at 67#

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks Fin, I have a spare 704z and was planing and never got to it, loading it with 20. should get a few extra yards. Im also planning in building a GSB1321L this winter, and I have 2 TIca that I removed all the Guides last year, just never got to replacing them. I do like the Tica 9 footer. Better then the Tsunami 10 Footer. It alot lighter and great for plugging.

Default Re: Review: Tsunami 10' Surf Rod, Airwave 1002MH

One of the better entry level surf rods for plugging IMO.

Let me start by saying that I'm not a fan of knock off products or the company's who produce them.

The 10' airwave is a good balance between casting distance and strength.

I agree with Vpass, the sweet spot is somewhere between 2-4oz and as fin chaser stated the guides could be upgraded.